12 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:04 PM

I was at Bass Pro looking at .50 bullets for my Optima Pro and ran accross a new bullet put out by Hornady. It's kinda interesting in that its a fully copper jacketed bullet, except for the spire tip. It is suppose to iliminate lead fouling, needs no plastic sabot of any kind nor lube to load it. I almost bought a pack but just couldn't wrap my mind around the no sabbot no lube part. They garauntee 1" accuracy though. Here's the stats copied from their site. Has anyone tried these yet?

Hornady® introduces another choice in "true" easy load convenience with the 300 gr. FPB®
now you can choose between the Hornady® 350 gr. FPB,® or the new 300 gr. FPB.® Maintaining its specially engineered profile, requiring no lube, and a mere 25 pounds of loading force, the new 300 gr. FPB® is one of the easiest loading muzzleloader projectiles on the market.

Not only is the new 300 gr. FPB® clean and convenient, it's extremely accurate. Engineered and tested to work flawlessly in all 50 cal muzzleloaders, the FPB® features exclusive Flex Tip® Technology from Hornady.® The Flex Tip® creates a very streamlined and very durable meplat that maximizes exterior ballistics. Upon impact the flexible elastomer tip compresses into the nose of the bullet causing violent expansion. This expansion creates a large temporary cavity, resulting in a very dynamic transfer of energy to the target for minimal tracking.

Posted ImageFeatures:
  • Elastomer tip aids in expansion and clean kills at impact velocities from 800 to 2000+ fps.
  • Specially engineered profile delivers flat trajectories for long-range accuracy.
  • Copper jacket and specially engineered profile eliminate bullet/sabot fouling and the need for a "plastic skirt."
  • Compared to other "easy load" bullets, the FPB® requires a mere 25 pounds of loading pressure, and no plastic skirt.

I opted to see what Wal Mart had and was glad I did. I got a 15 bullet pack of T/C Shockwaves, 250 gr. Spire Point sabots for $7.00. I should have bout a few at that price. Wondering how differant they'll shoot than the same bullit in a hollow point?

Edited by Spirithawk, 03 December 2009 - 03:21 PM.

#2 Falcon

Falcon

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:11 AM

I have used the 350 grain FPB bullets in my Encore for about one year. My powder load is 120 grains of 2F Goex Pinnacle. Have killed about 10 hogs with that bullet and load, most bang flopped. My load is not all that accurate: 2.5" three shot groups at 100 yards. Could probably shrink the groups a little by tweaking the powder load but I will not do that. That bullet and powder load shoot to the same point oif impact as 100 grains of 2F Pinnacle and the 250 grain SST/Shockwave, my deer hunting load.

Last year I bought up over 100 of the 350 grain FPB bullets at China Outlets (Wal-Mart) for about $6.50 per pack at the end of the year. Will be shooting them for some time.

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:10 PM

I have used the 350 grain FPB bullets in my Encore for about one year. My powder load is 120 grains of 2F Goex Pinnacle. Have killed about 10 hogs with that bullet and load, most bang flopped. My load is not all that accurate: 2.5" three shot groups at 100 yards. Could probably shrink the groups a little by tweaking the powder load but I will not do that. That bullet and powder load shoot to the same point oif impact as 100 grains of 2F Pinnacle and the 250 grain SST/Shockwave, my deer hunting load.

Last year I bought up over 100 of the 350 grain FPB bullets at China Outlets (Wal-Mart) for about $6.50 per pack at the end of the year. Will be shooting them for some time.

I have shot them on the range and they were very accurate. They load kind of strange in some rifles without a QLA but once you learn the trick to them they load fine. I was shooting them with 100 grains of Triple Seven and Pyrodex RS. Now Falcon has killed a lot of game with them. I respect his posts and if he says they are game killers, I am ready to use them. All I need is an animal to cooperate and to decide what rifle I want to shoot.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:42 PM

Are these bullets like a minnie ball or more like a real bullet. I could never get a minnie to seat with enough resistance to satisfy me that the bullet would stay firmly on the powder.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:20 PM

Are these bullets like a minnie ball or more like a real bullet. I could never get a minnie to seat with enough resistance to satisfy me that the bullet would stay firmly on the powder.

It looks like any other copper jacketed spire point bullet, just no sabot. My worry is just how well they stay seated when carrying your rifle all day in the woods.

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 07:34 AM

Norm that is my thought also. If a bullet fits too loose to engage the rifling on loading I cannot get excited about it for a hunting bullet for exactly the same reasons you stated. There is no exacting industry standard for bore size on front loaders. One company's 50 cal may be .500 while the next may be .503 or smaller like .497. Then there are small variations even within one company. That makes it tough to make a bullet that will be a snug fit in all bores. If too small the bullet will move off the powder charge and if too big there is much trouble loading it.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:43 AM

Norm that is my thought also. If a bullet fits too loose to engage the rifling on loading I cannot get excited about it for a hunting bullet for exactly the same reasons you stated. There is no exacting industry standard for bore size on front loaders. One company's 50 cal may be .500 while the next may be .503 or smaller like .497. Then there are small variations even within one company. That makes it tough to make a bullet that will be a snug fit in all bores. If too small the bullet will move off the powder charge and if too big there is much trouble loading it.

AHA!!!!! Proof GREAT MINDS think alike!!!!!!!Posted Image

#8 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:19 AM

AHA!!!!! Proof GREAT MINDS think alike!!!!!!!Posted Image

All I can tell you is at the range they never came off a load. But then they were not going through a lot of jostling around. Also they are shaped like a minnie. The bottom hollow is meant to spread out and engage the rifling. Being all copper in design makes them a good hunting bullet if they are accurate. I was shooting them out of my Genesis with 100 grains of Pyrodex RS and they were holding an 1-1/2 inch group at 50 yards.

Also Falcon has been shooting them (on another forum). He's hunted hog and deer with them. He shoots 110 grains of Pinnacle with them and has been getting a pass through on a hog with them. That is impressive right there. They have also been used for hunting elk as well with good results. They come in a 350 and 300 grain size. I have shot the 350.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:44 PM

All I can tell you is at the range they never came off a load. But then they were not going through a lot of jostling around. Also they are shaped like a minnie. The bottom hollow is meant to spread out and engage the rifling. Being all copper in design makes them a good hunting bullet if they are accurate. I was shooting them out of my Genesis with 100 grains of Pyrodex RS and they were holding an 1-1/2 inch group at 50 yards.

Also Falcon has been shooting them (on another forum). He's hunted hog and deer with them. He shoots 110 grains of Pinnacle with them and has been getting a pass through on a hog with them. That is impressive right there. They have also been used for hunting elk as well with good results. They come in a 350 and 300 grain size. I have shot the 350.

As they are not priced bad they just may be well worth giving a try. It's kinda hard to pass on my T/C Shockwaves though. Posted Image

#10 Falcon

Falcon

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:33 AM

All I can tell you is at the range they never came off a load. But then they were not going through a lot of jostling around. Also they are shaped like a minnie

Have jostled my uncased Encore around in my old truck over a few thousand miles of range roads and trails. Have never had an FPB come off the powder despite the fact that the gun is often carried muzzle down in the truck. They fit pretty tight in the bore of my Encore. Additionally, i put a lot of pressure on my ramrod when seating the bullet: Pinnacle works much better that way.

#11 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:34 AM

Have jostled my uncased Encore around in my old truck over a few thousand miles of range roads and trails. Have never had an FPB come off the powder despite the fact that the gun is often carried muzzle down in the truck. They fit pretty tight in the bore of my Encore. Additionally, i put a lot of pressure on my ramrod when seating the bullet: Pinnacle works much better that way.

Cool, thanks bud. Think as soon as I get low on my shockwaves I'll try them out. If I haven't said it yet, welcome to the forums here. Posted Image Anyone who owns an Encore is a great person. Posted Image Wait, I own an Encore. Hmmmm, just proves there's an exception to every rule. Posted Image

#12 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:31 PM

Falcon is a great resource of knowledge when it come to muzzle loaders and projectiles. I have read his posts on other forums and I also want to add it is a pleasure to have him over here. Even if he does shoot an Encore. Posted Image

#13 Falcon

Falcon

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:43 PM

I also want to add it is a pleasure to have him over here. Even if he does shoot an Encore. Posted Image

Thanks, Cayugad. Glad to be here. That Encore is heavy and makes a good steady shooting platform. But it is too heavy for a walking hunt: For that there is my cheap old CVA Stag Horn and it's 240 grain .430 XTP bullets.

If I haven't said it yet, welcome to the forums here

Thanks very much.

Edited by Falcon, 10 December 2009 - 02:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users