11 replies to this topic

#1 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:52 PM

Well lads, I struck a deal with God.

It started Friday afternoon when I packed the bow in the truck and took off towards South Dakota's Black Hills. I left Denver around 4:30 pm. By 8:30 pm, I was just south of Chugwater, Wy. It took me four hours to drive what I normally drive in two. Northern Colorado and southern Wyoming where experiencing white out blizzard conditions. Cheyenne was buried under 17 inches of blowing snow. I spent four intense hour maneuvering around and avoiding crashing into highway hazards. Vehicles were wedged under semis, on top of guard rails, spun out off the road, and on their tops. The wind, poor visibility, and icy conditions made for some white knuckle driving! At Cheyenne I started to pray. I said, "God, just get me there safely. Forgive me for my stupidity! Please overlook my sin for so wanting to be in a ladder stand enjoying life with my mistress (Mother Nature)." I continued, "Lord, I swear I will shoot the first eight I see without hesitation!" I arrived alive in Spearfish, South Dakota just after midnight-at Chugwater the highway and visibility became much better. Prayer answered.

I was up and in my stand by 6:30 am Saturday morning. The roads were still icy and Spearfish had snow of its own-about four inches. Deer movement was incredible! An easy 40 deer cruised past my public land stand! They were mostly does, fawns, and small bucks. I was standing and ready to drop the hammer on a fat doe when I caught movement to my left. I let down my draw. Two deer were working their way to me. Both deer had head gear. I was getting a glimpse here and there as they walked through the oak brush. Both appeared to be eights-one slightly bigger than the other. It was difficult to track which deer was which as they jockeyed positions. One stopped twenty yards out. I had a vital shot through a small window in the brush-couldn't see the deer's head. I figured I had a 50/50 chance of killing the bigger of the two. I killed the smaller. My arrow blew right through him perfectly. Promise kept. He piled up within 100 yards. The snow made tracking child's play. Another good representation "Black Hills" buck in the bag!

One of the cool things about hunting the Black Hills, and although the whities do not get as big as the plains deer of S. Dakota (they do not have the agriculture fields to support them), is you're in a wildlife transition zone. At any time you could have either a white-tailed deer or a mule deer in front of you. I love hunting places like this!

Posted Image

The hole cause by a 100 grain Eastman Outfitter's Silver Strike

Posted Image

Thirty minutes after shooting the buck, I arrowed a doe. Bonus!

Posted Image
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#2 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:46 PM

Congrats Huck on your pair!

In Canada, a "twofer" (pronounced Two-Four) has a totally different meaning and comes in variations of 2.5% to 6.5% content! Posted Image

TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#3 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:34 PM

???? This sounds familiar, poor driving conditions.... Huck prays and promises to shoot the first 8-point he sees...... then he scores..... hmmmmm I'm sure that I've read this story before LOL

http://forums.huntin...-struck-a-deal/

I knoweded I'd read this one before LOL

Edited by TerryfromAR, 03 December 2009 - 09:41 PM.

Semper Fi

#4 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:34 PM

Way to go, Huck. Posted Image

#5 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:36 PM

Scooby,

Just trying to help promote Jere's buck contest...Posted Image

Edited by iamyourhuckleberry, 03 December 2009 - 10:37 PM.

Posted Image

#6 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:49 PM

Will well bud I know he appreciates that, but man I just wish I could see a deer that I could shoot this year... they've all been running, too far out, illegal or I made a bonehead move(like using a full choke on my shotgun with 00Buck) LOL but I haven't given up yet. still got some time with the old stick and string and another 2 weekends of modern gun... Seen the most deer this year than I have in the past, but nothing down yet.
Semper Fi

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:47 AM

You and God Huck must be buds!

Anybody else might have not made that hunt a hunt. Posted Image Congrats and congrats!! Your pair might beat anybody elses so far but the season isn't over yet!

Thanks for sharing that story I enjoy reading your stories a bunch. And the photos came pretty good.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#8 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:17 PM

Way to go Will. How many more states to fill your quest?

Steve

#9 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 08 December 2009 - 07:17 AM

Nice! Congrats Will!

#10 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 05:23 PM

Steve,

I am 14 for 19. I had feral hogs swipe a deer out from under me in New Mexico this past January. I also had to cancel a trip to Washington-my son is having more surgery on 12/18 to remove the pins and screws he received last year. Daddy needed to be home for that! As a result, I did not add any states in 2009. I hope 2010 is more productive.

I did add a musk oxen and a coastal black bear to the North American Slam quest I've been chasing. I sitting at 17out of 29 now.

Edited by iamyourhuckleberry, 11 December 2009 - 05:24 PM.

Posted Image

#11 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 08:05 PM

Congrats Will!Posted Image I truly enjoy hearing about your hunting adventures. Enjoy the pics too. Man, that smile says it all! Posted Image Thanks a bunch for sharing.

Edited by Spirithawk, 13 December 2009 - 08:06 PM.

#12 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:27 AM

Will - you are THE MAN!

Awesome story!
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users