4 replies to this topic

#1 steelrain202

steelrain202

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:39 AM

Howdy yall. I was just selected to shoot on the Post Archery team here in Ft Sam Houston. We have no sponsors and the Army doesnt fund us, IE we have to provide our own equipment and stuff but needless to say its pretty cool. I had to get a job seeing as how I am not allowed to work in the regular Army. I choose a job thru our Occupational Therapy section of my unit. I work at the Archery Shop on Post and pretty much shoot arrows all day and get invited to hunt on occasion. I found a practically brand new Mathews Classic in the shop that I am gonna try to turn into a target/hunting bow. I needed a longer axis bow I was shooting my SQ2, but I needed something a bit more forgiving. Our "coach" is pushing me to buy a Bowtech/Diamond but I am bucking and still wanting to shoot a Mathews, LOL! I am gonna be shooting 3 Spot and 5 Spot. I dont have all the fancy gear, stabilizers and that stuff so I am just gonna have to go with what I have. I cant afford most of that stuff. I am just excited about getting the chance to do something I love. I love shooting archery. I love it so much I dont even own rifles anymore. I have a muzzleloader that I havent shot in years. I just prefer to bowhunt. Anyway yall have a great day.
Only the dead know the end of war.- Plato

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:40 AM

Sounds like fun to me but I have never actually tried shooting competitive or tournaments. I must confess I have printed off the 3 spot targets and shot at them in my back yards at 20 yards. My setup isn't a tournament rig either just for bowhunting and I didn't shoot all that great but not bad at it. It is a mind game to take out that X. Posted Image

Mathews is coming out with a new tournament style bow pretty soon. Suppose to be better than the others they have made and that's saying something. I think it's called the Conquest Triumph, I'm not sure of that but I'd bet Jeremiah know all about. And does shoot competitive or has in the past. I am not sure who has on here. It be interesting to see who has and what their rigs look like. Posted Image
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 steelrain202

steelrain202

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:47 AM

Sounds like fun to me but I have never actually tried shooting competitive or tournaments. I must confess I have printed off the 3 spot targets and shot at them in my back yards at 20 yards. My setup isn't a tournament rig either just for bowhunting and I didn't shoot all that great but not bad at it. It is a mind game to take out that X. Posted Image

Mathews is coming out with a new tournament style bow pretty soon. Suppose to be better than the others they have made and that's saying something. I think it's called the Conquest Triumph, I'm not sure of that but I'd bet Jeremiah know all about. And does shoot competitive or has in the past. I am not sure who has on here. It be interesting to see who has and what their rigs look like. Posted Image

Well its a new experience for me I have shot some 3-D etc.. But never stood on line and launched arrows at a target for a score per say. Other than friendly competition etc. I think I did it a few times in the Boy Scouts, but I got kicked out of the Boy Scouts soooo......
Only the dead know the end of war.- Plato

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:56 AM

Well its a new experience for me I have shot some 3-D etc.. But never stood on line and launched arrows at a target for a score per say. Other than friendly competition etc. I think I did it a few times in the Boy Scouts, but I got kicked out of the Boy Scouts soooo......

The thing is there isn't or I should say there hasn't been an inside bow range in my area. I understand there is one that just opened up in the last month. So up till now there hasn't been an opportunity for me to even try other than some IBO 3D club shoots. I have not looked very long and hard into the local clubs but when I talk to the local Pro-shop Pros they seem disgusted with how things get run so for me I have stayed away. I have my own little 3D range in my back yard.

When I was a Boy Scout they didn't give us archery to try out - I wish they had and I stayed in up to being an Eagle scout.

SteelRain202 let us know how the tournament work out. And good luck breaking the X and buy some fat arrows. Posted Image
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:52 PM

SteelRain bud I've competed in a couple of local deals, I foget how I did on them but they were fun. I'm gonna keep my ear to the ground and listen for them when they start kicking off again in spring, then I'm gonna see how I do this time around... Alot of the guys use the X-cutter arrows etc... to improve their chances of breaking the X... but if your bow is tuned well, and you take your time and shoot the way you're supposed to you should be good. I typically shoot hunter class so I don't have all the fancy equipment like scopes and the long stabilizers etc.... all I have are CJ dead nutz sights, and a Simms S-coil stabalizer... it works well for me. Have fun with it and keep shooting.
Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users