3 replies to this topic

#1 steelrain202

steelrain202

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:46 AM

How many of yall are shooting one? Why? I started using one a few days ago and man my back is freaking tight. My "coach" gave me a Carter BackStrap to shoot with. So far so good. I havent seen a dramatic change in my groups they are even a little more spread out. I guess thats from me shooting with the same release for the last 10+ years. I supposed I am a creature of habit. Id love to hear yalls opinions.
Only the dead know the end of war.- Plato

#2 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:01 PM

I got one, I'll get it out dust it off and fling an arrow or 2 with it from time to time, but it's just not as comfortable and familiar as my wrist strap caliper release. I know it takes time to get used to it, but when I first got it I'd get to half draw and then my arrow would go flying..... since then I can draw well with it, and shoot pretty well with it, but I don't shoot groups anymore because it was getting a bit too expensive having to have arrows refletched or replaced. I don't shoot back tension much but when I did I didn't have problems with my back.... hmmm don't know what to tell you about your back being sore.... but as far as being a creature of habit... yeah all humans are... you get something, it feels comfortable, you're used to it... it's natural to not feel as confident when you change up something like that, not only are you having to slightly modify the form that you have been using for the past 10+ years... but you're also concentrating on things that have been controlled by muscle memory for almost as long.
Semper Fi

#3 steelrain202

steelrain202

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:11 PM

OK I think I have this back tension thing figured out. I didnt have the tension adjustment set right. I had to add the 59# spring and do some fine adjustment to the cartridge and I have it working great. Before I was having to hold my finger on the safety and after about 400 shots my finger and back were KILLING me. Id like to try a thumb release but not willing to dump the cash into one just to try it out. No one I know shoots one. So Id like your feedback on those.
Only the dead know the end of war.- Plato

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:46 AM

I switched over to a thumb release from a wrist strap index finger release several years ago. I have tried four finger and three finger releases and I prefer the three finger. And mainly it is down to my first two fingers and my thumb on the release. I have tried Carter's Chocolate Addiction and the Chocolate Lite and they are quality releases no doubt about it. I now shoot the Spot Hogg Saturday Night Special and the Friday Night Delight. I have been happy with these two when practicing and for hunting.

Steelrain202 I have never tried a true back tension release. I do feel a thumb release can be used as in a back tension form but it takes some getting use to it.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users