2 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:13 PM

I wasn't sure where to post this so here it be. Posted Image I started with muzzleloaders years ago. Back then it was traditional or nothing. Butttt, that's what made it fun and interesting for me. I know a lot of younger folks, a few old ones too, that talk about how unreliable the traditional guns were and are, but if you took care of them, and loaded them right, they'd shoot just fine. I went full throttle with buckskins, throwing hawk, bowie knife and the whole shebang. I absolutly loved going to the rendezvous. Loved walking the woods looking and acting as my ancestors did too. Hunting with "traditional" firearms is a world all it's own. Jason tried for a long time to get me to switch to inlines. I fought the change all the way but as I got older the convinience of the inlines began to draw my attention. Easier to clean, more consistant loads using pellets, hotter ignition with 209 primers, and many are quite weather proof. Things that make it easier for old geezers like me to keep hunting. Sooooo I changed. I loved my Knight MK-85 and think I'll like my new Optima Pro even better. Thumbhole stock, fluted barrel, bullet starter muzzle, recoil pad, break open design, 209 ignition, yep it's a real nice rifle. But you know what? I keep looking at that .50 flintlock hanging on the wall. I may just have to take it to the dance and see how it performs on Whitetails. Posted Image So folks, which do you prefer and why?

Edited by Spirithawk, 08 December 2009 - 06:15 PM.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:38 PM

I do not have to make those decisions. Here in PA we have 2 muzzleloader seasons. The first is a muzzleloader doe season in Oct where you can shoot any muzzleloader and sight system you want. Then we have a flintlock only with open or peep sight season starting the day after Christmas. If you have your buck tag you can shoot either a buck or doe. If you have a doe tag it is a doe only. If you have both you can shoot 2 deer. I too like the traditional rifle for hunting but own an inline too which I use in our early season and when I hunt in Kansas. The inline has a quicker ignition which contributes to better accuracy plus I can put a scope on it which I much prefer to open sights. As to potential both are accurate and fun to shoot but I have the most experience with the flintlock as I have been hunting since the mid 70s with one. Until only the past several years my flintlock hunting was with a patched round ball as that was the only bullet permitted.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 08 December 2009 - 07:43 PM

I think I can count the number of times I've had a hang-fire with my flintlock on one hand. I've also never seen the flash in the pan or any of the other things I hear people complain about. So, I love it. It really sits well with me to do it "old school". If percussion caps became legal post-Christmas in PA I wouldn't hesitate to buy a cap lock to convert my T/C Hawken over. (Personally, I think it's long overdue.)

Inline ignitions are fine with me too. I've considered buying one to use during the regular firearm season. But, I think I'll always shoot a traditional muzzleloader otherwise. Whenever I ask myself why I shoot a muzzleloader the answer is always an increased challenge. For me, right now, that involves ol' sparky. If a day ever comes that an inline gives me all the extra effort I can handle then that's what I'll shoot when legal.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users