9 replies to this topic

#1 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:46 PM

I have heard both good and bad reports on these. Does anyone here use them? I continue to stick by the G-5 one piece even though I stuck a monster and as of yet found him. Still hunting though for him. Just wondering.

Steve

#2 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:07 PM

I have heard both good and bad reports on these. Does anyone here use them? I continue to stick by the G-5 one piece even though I stuck a monster and as of yet found him. Still hunting though for him. Just wondering.

Steve

The only time I've tried to use them was when I gut shot my doe last year and never recovered it. while crawling thru the thick stuff trying to track in the dark (and bumping the deer into the next county), I lost my 3 arrow quiver along with the other 2 rage broadheads. Been afraid to try again so I went back to muzzy. It was my fault I should have realized from the big puddle that it was gut shot but slow down mentally to see that there was more then just blood in the puddle I found when I started tracking. Im not saying they're bad. My bad experience was of my own doing.

Edited by Whitetiger, 10 December 2009 - 09:08 PM.

#3 steelrain202

steelrain202

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:24 AM

I used one 3 weeks ago. Deer dropped in 30 yards Double lung shot. I am very happy with them.
Only the dead know the end of war.- Plato

#4 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:25 AM

Its like throwing an axe through emPosted Image

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:32 AM

Mudduck I forgot about this Rage bloody moment. I have them in my quiver this year but have yet let one fly.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#6 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:17 AM

Mudduck I forgot about this Rage bloody moment. I have them in my quiver this year but have yet let one fly.

Funny thing about anecdotal experience - it only takes one bad one, or one good one to form an opinion. The best conclusions are drawn from experimental evidence coupled with a wide range of field use in varying situations. Having said that, I've made a completely irrational decision to stay away from them based on one bad experience this year.

I took a long shot - one in which i was prepared having shot long distance all summer in preparation for my late August pronghorn hunt. The shot was just under 50 yards. i'm shooting 62lbs, 600g arrow at 256fps. The shot was a broad side shot at an unalarmed doe. The arrow struck just behind the shoulder - my son Case was standing behind and watching over my shoulder - he confirmed the placement of the hit.

There was no blood at the site. We picked up first blood nearly 100 yards away. The deer was bleeding both dark red blood - like from a muscle hit - and bright red bubbly blood - like a lung hit. We tracked another 400 yards or so and found the arrow. The blades fully deployed, the arrow showed about 10" penetration. There was bubbly blood on the arrow, but muscle and tissue on the blades. We believed from that evidence and the trail that the arrow must have deflected down toward the brisket after slicing some of the front-side lung. So, we waited a couple hours and took up the trail again.

After six hours and nearly 3/4 a mile the trail finally dried up and the deer was still walking normally. No stumbles. No beds. I returned the next day and grid searched the area to no avail - the deer was gone and I believe survived. I believe the arrow deflected, possibly because one blade deployed differently or perhaps on a rib which only allowed cutting one lung and the deer survived on the remaining lung. Both I and my son saw the hit right behind the shoulder.

My conclusion: Mechanicals are a gamble with relatively slow speed arrows at long distance even though the arrow is a heavy arrow with sufficient KE. We will stay with the G5 fixed blade as well.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#7 Woody

Woody

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:06 AM

I'm using Razorcaps and will stick with them, love those Broadheads used them in Africa.
You can check them out at Razorcap.com, have alook and let me know what Ya'll think
Posted Image
Woody, and the Queen
Woody's Knives and Leather

#8 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 05:17 AM

That link didn't work Woody, but I did find them at the NAP website:

http://www.newarcher.../razorcaps.html

They must be pretty new because there are no commercials or videos about them in the broadhead video library. The concept is basically the same as the G5 or a host of other fixed blade that use the 120 degrees edge, but the razorcaps maintain replaceable blades. I like the longer head too - think they'll likely cut better. I get a discount on G5 products through NBEF and will likely stay with them, but I'd be interested in trying a longer fixed blade if it flew true.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#9 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:47 AM

That link didn't work Woody, but I did find them at the NAP website:

http://www.newarcher.../razorcaps.html

They must be pretty new because there are no commercials or videos about them in the broadhead video library. The concept is basically the same as the G5 or a host of other fixed blade that use the 120 degrees edge, but the razorcaps maintain replaceable blades. I like the longer head too - think they'll likely cut better. I get a discount on G5 products through NBEF and will likely stay with them, but I'd be interested in trying a longer fixed blade if it flew true.

Sorry but this is Posted Image of the Rage Broadhead. I used the Razorcaps before NAP started making them. The Razorcaps have been around some time possibly five years or more. I used them on my bison and on my black bear hunt. They were made by a smaller company and then NAP bought the production rights to this head. They fly great and are very lethal. My only issue was the feral is not very strong and once bent the flight is off. You can resharpen them but they are like G5 montec in that respect they aren't very sharp to the touch.

Back to the Rage broadheads, I read that they have changed the Rage head and now is made from Titanium and is a bit different configuration in the feral. The blades are staying the same. The price ---- well I don't know for sure but rumor has it ------- for a 3 pack they doubled in price. That's right ------ $80+ for a 3 pack. Posted Image If this rumor is true I wonder how the Pro list will be affected that swear by this broadhead.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 22 December 2009 - 08:50 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#10 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:01 PM

The "not sharp to touch" is deceiving. A 120 degree angle won't feel sharp, but believe me it is. A sharp chisel is the same way, but it'll slice you wide open if you're not careful. Weak ferrule - that's another issue. i've shot G5's into trees and rocks and have yet to bend one. I've dulled the point significantly, but haven't bent a ferrule yet. They are extremely tough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users