11 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:24 PM

I watched a couple hunting shows tonight (I know, they made it look easy! Posted Image ) and one was a horse back guided hunt into the mountains. It got me to thinkin' what my ultimate hunting adventure might be.

I got'ta tell you, I've always liked being around horses, and I'm pretty sure my adventure would involve horse packing into foothills or low mountainous regions. My preference would be during a season and climate that was not too hot nor too cold. Don't want snow! I get enough of that at home without having to travel to get stuck in it. Too warm and the bugs'll get yu! Don't want bugs!

Guided? Well I guess there's no way you're gon'na get a horse back adventure into the mountains without one, but I don't want one of those guides who litterally takes you by the hand and drags you into position, then tells you how to shoot your weapon and treats you like a child as though you had no idea how to do anything.

Don't want a 5000 sq. ft chalet to stay in as it kind'a takes away from the outdoor adventure, but on the other extreme, don't want a WalMart pup tent either. Somewhere's inbetween is O.K. just as long as it keeps you dry, warm and provides for a good night's sleep.

What to hunt? Don't make no nevermind long as it's something different from what I can get at home. My preference would be a bowhunt, but if'n I had to take a rifle along as a back up plan, then my muzzleloader then. Wouldn't even mind if I got to pop a few upland game birds with the scatter gun too. A nice glacier fed lake with some trout in it'd be a treat to catch some shore lunch occassionally too.

Let's see, camp cook? Maybe someone from the women's Swedish National Bathing Suit team might be O.K. Oops! Did I say that out loud? Posted Image Hey it's my ultimate hunt! It'll never happen, but a guy can dream can't he? If'n any of you ladies are reading this and think this hunt might meet your dream hunt outline too, then you can insert the models from the Annual Fireman's Calendar for the camp cook! Fair's fair! Right? Posted Image

Well for the time being, I guess a rabbit hunt alongside my grandaughter's beagle will have to suffice. Camp cook? I think the bride'll do just nicely! Posted Image I'll do the dishes. That's livin' in the real world!

TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:19 AM

Well for the time being, I guess a rabbit hunt alongside my grandaughter's beagle will have to suffice. Camp cook? I think the bride'll do just nicely! Posted Image I'll do the dishes. That's livin' in the real world!

TBow

I'd say you're on to something. It takes a little planning to get away and saving up for it little bit by little bit for this perfect adventure. Don't forget receiving some blessing from the boss. I give your chances for Nirvana as doable. And yes you might have to give in a little on what goes into this dream hunt like your perfect cook LOL but hey you never know. Now there is a few outfitters that comes to mind that offer hunts like your Perfect packaged hunt. You might consider smaller hunting vacations first before going for the mother load.

And again those wily rabbits are a challenge!Posted Image

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 11 December 2009 - 09:33 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 Ironranger

Ironranger

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 05:52 PM

I've been thinking about that the last few years as I'm collecting points (4) for elk in Wyoming. I've always been a "Do it yourself" type but am thinking about biting the bullet and finding a quality outfitter for a pack in elk hunt. That will be a few years out as I'm waiting on my friend to get a CO outfitter hunt out of the way (If he draws the unit) and I've got a Montana muley trip to finish off (If we ever draw).

Just something about packing back in and setting up camp. Hopefully I can find a decent one...

#4 Fossil

Fossil

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and rockhounding..............

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:28 PM

My ultimate hunt would be a Alaska moose hunt............
Posted Image

God,family and friends-What else is there..................

#5 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:21 PM

I had never hunted outside of Pa. till last year when I hunted with Will and crew in Colorado and Wyoming. That was my hunt of a lifetime. Just the sights were well worth the trip. Posted Image

Edited by woodhick, 15 December 2009 - 06:22 PM.

#6 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:20 PM

I don't know what is wrong with me, but I don't think I have a dream hunt. I actually love hunting in this 10 mile radius from my house. I don't care about seeing huge bucks, I just like seeing deer while deer hunting and a pheasant or two while hunting pheasant. I guess for me there is no reason to really want to go somewhere. All the game I could ever want to see is literally just outside of town.
-Eric

#7 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:30 PM

I like you're thinking Geoff ! I'd go along with your lead and add that a muzzleloader bull elk hunt during the rut would be the icing on the cake yer baking !Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:05 PM

gophers with a bow....oh wait...I've done that...I want to do it again...it is a riot. :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#9 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:11 AM

I used to hold an annual spring groundhog hunt when I was the archery chairperson of my local fish & game club. We used to get almost 300 groundhogs turned in on one day. Then we'd try to have a bbq (no not bbq'd grounghog, although one of the members did cook a few up for one of our potluck dinners one time) so everyone could socialize.

My best day with a bow for groundhogs netted me 23 woodchucks. I will agree with you Bruce, it was a HOOT!

Geoff / TBow

Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#10 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:46 PM

WinterHawk Outfitters came across this hunt and looks like it fits pretty darn close to your desires for the ultimate package. It's not bad on price either compared to some hunts that don't have all the elements to make your hunt. So when we going?

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 18 December 2009 - 01:47 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#11 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:11 AM

My ultimate, at this point, would be to sneak within range of either a griz or a brownie and bury an arrow behind his shoulder. I would put up with a lot just to have the chance...

Woodhick, it was a pleasure. I hope I get the chance again!

For me, life is like an unfinished multi-faceted gemstone. Raw potential is ever present. However, the sheer beauty and value is not 100% until it's finished. Everything that makes that stone glow (e.g size, cut, uniqueness, color, clarity, experience, etc.) involves time and hard work. Each facet is cut individually, but it is their combination that comprises the whole. I strive to make my life complete, and let's face it. when buying gemstones, "bigger is better". Hunting is the machine which allows me to facet. Sharing it with friends enhances the value...

As long as I live, I will never forget what Phil said to me on the side of a Colorado Mountain. He said, "Thank you for making a lifetime dream come true". Dear friend, no! Thank you!

Edited by iamyourhuckleberry, 23 March 2010 - 11:12 AM.

Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#12 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:16 PM

My ultimit hunt would be me and Jason hunting with Paul and Eric. Posted Image Next to that it's simply the next hunt I haven't gone on yet. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users