4 replies to this topic

#1 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 10:47 PM

How do you think the mast crop is going to be this year? Last year was a very heavy crop here in the Lehigh Valley. I'd never seen so many acorns on the ground at once. and then to see how the deer were prefering once type over the other was neat to see. At SGL 205 they were hoovering up the acorns from the Bur oaks then they were moving onto the white oaks and saved the chestnuts & pin oaks last. I cant wait for archery season to open up.

#2 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 04:48 AM

Should be a decent mast crop up in our area due to the rain. At camp we have mostly Red & White oak and the White produces bi-yearly. There was alot of white oak in certain areas so I'll be checking different sections of the lease for the producing trees this fall.......if that fails I'll head Northwest to whack a corn/alfalfa doe up at the farm. ;)
Posted Image

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:28 AM

I am not expecting a bumper crop of acorns this year. Seldom does bumper years follow bumper years. As Phil said the white oaks only produce every other year so if they produced last year I would not expect many this year.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 10:46 AM

You guys that might be a good thing to have a low oak crop this yr. The deer will travel more in search of mast crops versus holding up in heavy mast crop areas not having to go far.I'm looking for that very scenero here in Kentucky.Should play out here for a record deer harvest.

Loving life, and taking things one day at a time..

#5 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 03:52 PM

The white oaks produce every other year but trees mature at different times so you'll have to scout to locate the trees producing this year. ;)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users