3 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:43 PM

Yesterday I was at the local coffee shop chattin' with a few friends around noon hour. When we looked outside we saw wave after wave of snow geese flying overhead. It's not uncommon to see thousands of Canada geese around here, but snows are rare.

This area is typically not a snow goose flyway, and to see a snow goose here is a rare occassion. Snows usually use the eastern flyway or the down through Quebec or they take the western route through the prairies and midwest to the best of recollection. When I worked in the eastern arctic with the coast guard, I saw thousands upon thousands of snows in clutches on the tundra. But to see them here, in the numbers I saw yesterday, is extradordinary. They flew over my home town in waves for almost 2 hours nonstop. Conservatively you'd have had to count them in the tens of thousands if not more.

TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:32 AM

It's due to the changes in the Earth's magnetic fields that the geese use to navigate by during their migration. Posted Image Posted Image
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:41 PM

The population of Snow geese is out of control. Eventually the population curve will probably bust and there will be a huge snow goose die off. Then of course hunters can look forward to being blamed for the decline.
Posted Image

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:46 AM

We generally have a Canadians geese that real don't leave here. They fly back forth from one river to the other of our two rivers here. Very low flying formations and loud honkers at that. But the other day it was a very clear day and I saw faintly several (12 maybe) V formations what I thought were geese flying south but they were very high, thousands of feet up. Now we are not on any major fly way either and that sight is unusual for me to see.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 13 December 2009 - 11:47 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users