• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 tguerr16

tguerr16

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:21 PM

Hello all. I have a CVA Optima Pro 50 cal. muzzle loader and I just purchased a Thumbhole buttstock for it. For those familiar with this here is my question.

At the bottom of the stock there is a small oval cover that when opened will (I thought) give access to the bolt that attaches the stock to the gun. The new thumbhole stock has a hole drilled in that cavity that gives access to attach and tighten the bolt to the gun.

I have a problem thought, the original stock that is on the gun does not give me access to the bolt to remove the buttstock from the gun. Am I correct in thinking that all I have to do is drill a hole large enough to get to the bolt that is already there?

I want to thank you for checking out my post and thank you in advance for any help you may be able to give me on this matter.

BTW...the thumbhole buttstock I bought is made from CVA.

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:27 PM

Hello all. I have a CVA Optima Pro 50 cal. muzzle loader and I just purchased a Thumbhole buttstock for it. For those familiar with this here is my question.

At the bottom of the stock there is a small oval cover that when opened will (I thought) give access to the bolt that attaches the stock to the gun. The new thumbhole stock has a hole drilled in that cavity that gives access to attach and tighten the bolt to the gun.

I have a problem thought, the original stock that is on the gun does not give me access to the bolt to remove the buttstock from the gun. Am I correct in thinking that all I have to do is drill a hole large enough to get to the bolt that is already there?

I want to thank you for checking out my post and thank you in advance for any help you may be able to give me on this matter.

BTW...the thumbhole buttstock I bought is made from CVA.

I too have an Optima Pro but I can't really answer your question. The simplest thing is to just give CVA a call. I'd do that before drilling on your old stock. The number is 1-770-449-4687 By the way, welcome to the forums. :D

Edited by Spirithawk, 13 December 2009 - 02:29 PM.

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 05:24 PM

Welcome to our campfire. There are to my knowlege only 2 ways a buttstock is attached to the rifle. One is where you describe under the pistol grip and the other access is from the rear of the stock. To get to the one from the rear of the stock you must remove the buttplate or recoil pad which is screwed at the top and bottom. If there is no access from the bottom of the pistol grip then you have to go in from the back. It has to have an access in one of those two places. The bolt may have either a slotted screw head or a bolt head or both. You will need either a really long screw driver or several extensions for a ratchet wrench.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 tguerr16

tguerr16

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 08:11 PM

Welcome to our campfire. There are to my knowlege only 2 ways a buttstock is attached to the rifle. One is where you describe under the pistol grip and the other access is from the rear of the stock. To get to the one from the rear of the stock you must remove the buttplate or recoil pad which is screwed at the top and bottom. If there is no access from the bottom of the pistol grip then you have to go in from the back. It has to have an access in one of those two places. The bolt may have either a slotted screw head or a bolt head or both. You will need either a really long screw driver or several extensions for a ratchet wrench.

Good call. I took the screws out of the recoil pad and what do you know...there is the allen bolt that holds the stock on. Have to do some shopping tomorrow so I will be looking for a nice allen extension set! Thanks!!

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:57 AM

You may want to measure the distance from the bolt to the rear of the buttstock so you do not get an allen wrench that is too short. My son-in-law has a removal tool but cannot remember how long it is. You may be able to find an allen adapter for a ratchet that would do the job easily enough.

#6 rams99

rams99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:04 PM

[quote name='tguerr16' timestamp='1260756719' post='1331217']
Good call. I took the screws out of the recoil pad and what do you know...there is the allen bolt that holds the stock on. Have to do some shopping tomorrow so I will be looking for a nice allen extension set! Thanks!!
Were you able to remove and replace the Buttstock, I am going to be doing the the same but putting the same type stock on again. I removed the recoil pad and see the allen screw head which looks like it's at a slight angle and was wondering if you had any sucess removing and replacing yours.
Rock will never die !

#7 rams99

rams99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:05 PM

Were you able to remove and replace the Buttstock, I am going to be doing the the same but putting the same type stock on again. I removed the recoil pad and see the allen screw head which looks like it's at a slight angle and was wondering if you had any sucess removing and replacing yours.
Rock will never die !

#8 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:07 AM

There are allen wrench bits for socketwrenches, and that would be what I would get to do this particular job. The standard 3/8" socket wrench configuration is normally the one most people think of and it should be just about the right size for this project. A 1ft extension and a 6" extension, or an 18" extension should clear MOST buttstocks, unless there are extenuating circumstances such as an extended length stock.
Semper Fi

#9 rams99

rams99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:58 PM

Thanks, I'll give it a shot ( if I have the tools ) I think taking it out would be eaiser my concern is putting the bolt back in after, hopefully it won't start at an angle and strip the threads as it seems like it would be hard to tell if it's lined up correctly when you start turning to install again.
Rock will never die !

#10 rams99

rams99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:32 PM

Thanks, I'll give it a shot ( if I have the tools ) I think taking it out would be eaiser my concern is putting the bolt back in after, hopefully it won't start at an angle and strip the threads as it seems like it would be hard to tell if it's lined up correctly when you start turning to install again.

Rock will never die !

#11 rams99

rams99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:51 PM

Used a 10 inch 3/8 extension with ratchet cleared the buttstock ok, metric allen bit, removed and installed new with no issues. The bolt lines up in what I would describe as a guide hole so even thought its at a slight angle it still threads correctly...Thanks for the Idea's now can't wait to go to the range.

Rock will never die !

#12 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:55 AM

rams99 glad it worked out well for you, let us know how the range time goes....:fudd:
Semper Fi

#13 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:15 PM

Glad we were able to help. I did not think of a hex headed bolt. I figured that there had to be a fairly easy method of attaching the buttstock. Someone at the factory most likely has done this several hundred times today so now you can do their job if you want to move to spain that is. Just kidding, I have removed a number of stocks and when you think of it for just a moment there has to be an easy way to assemble at the factory as every rifle has a stock or butt stock.

#14 rams99

rams99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:03 PM

Glad we were able to help. I did not think of a hex headed bolt. I figured that there had to be a fairly easy method of attaching the buttstock. Someone at the factory most likely has done this several hundred times today so now you can do their job if you want to move to spain that is. Just kidding, I have removed a number of stocks and when you think of it for just a moment there has to be an easy way to assemble at the factory as every rifle has a stock or butt stock.

Rock will never die !

#15 rams99

rams99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:16 PM

This is the official version from BPI, which includes the correct size for the hex head. Hope this helps narrow down searching for the right tools in the future. And thank you all for sending me down the correct path. Waiting till the snow takes a ride somewhat before hitting the range just had our third largest snow storm ever recorded in this area (Vermont) over 2 ft of the white stuff in less than 24 hrs .......Did I mention that yesterday I loved my snow blower more than my wife. Ya can't say enough about ten horses vs 2 ft of snow.....

On a standard Optima Pro you would remove the recoil pad use a 6mm hex head to remove the stock bolt. I bought a 6mm hex head fixed into 3/8" drive socket. I then attach that socket to a 9" 3/8" drive extension.

The thumbhole stock attaches through the pistol grip to an adaptor. It still uses a stock bolt with a 6mm head, but the tools you need will only be a inch or so long.

Edited by rams99, 08 March 2011 - 08:18 PM.

Rock will never die !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users