11 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:50 PM

Well, yesterday the weather wasn't too bad so took my Optima Pro out to make sure that it is sighted in good before Muzzleloader Season this next weekend. I switched bullet types but I'm sticking to the T/C Shockwaves . I just switched from hollow points to the Spire Tips. Paul said, back when I bought my Optima that I needed to let you all know how it shoots, sooooooo here ya go.

Posted Image

Optima Pro .50 Bushnell 3x9x40

Posted Image

T/C Shockwaves, .50, 250 gr Spire Points, two 50 gr pellets 777 - Distance 50 yards.

First shot just oustside the circle upper left. Think I pulled it. Next three touching in the circle. Swabbed bore with alcohol patch after second shot. Top to bottom the circle is about 3" so I think it will drop right in there at 100 yards but around here you can seldom see past 50 yards. Posted Image She sure shoots fine and I think any deer I see is in BIG trouble! Posted Image So whatcha think Paul?

Edited by Spirithawk, 13 December 2009 - 07:38 PM.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 05:13 PM

Ok my friend ok indeed. Some times it is the rifle, or the sights, the rest or even the load but it is always the nut that holds the trigger. Looks like you have tamed that gal right down. Good shooting.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 05:52 PM

Ok my friend ok indeed. Some times it is the rifle, or the sights, the rest or even the load but it is always the nut that holds the trigger. Looks like you have tamed that gal right down. Good shooting.

Thanks bud.Posted Image I think that this is probably the rifle that will be my favorite muzzleloader till I'm too old to shoot it. I hope to put many a deer in the freezer between now and then. I'd say those Bergara barrels are all they are advertised to be. Posted Image Hmmmm, nut behind the trigger? Yeppers, that's me!Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 13 December 2009 - 07:40 PM.

#4 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 08:18 PM

Norm, that looks like the deer don't have a chance to me. I was out sighting my optima pro in also and swithced to the t/c 250 grains also. I was shooting the power belts but swithced and am much happier with the price and the grouping. I shot 3 at 100 yrds and all in a softball size target. Went out to 250 yrds. and all with in about a 4 inch grouping. After 3 shots I cleaned the barrell and shot again. I don't expect to shoot anything at 250 but am confident that if I have the shot I know I can take it.

Steve

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 08:52 PM

Norm, that looks like the deer don't have a chance to me. I was out sighting my optima pro in also and swithced to the t/c 250 grains also. I was shooting the power belts but swithced and am much happier with the price and the grouping. I shot 3 at 100 yrds and all in a softball size target. Went out to 250 yrds. and all with in about a 4 inch grouping. After 3 shots I cleaned the barrell and shot again. I don't expect to shoot anything at 250 but am confident that if I have the shot I know I can take it.

Steve

Cool bud, and thanks. I got lucky and found the 15 count packs of T/C Shockwaves at Wally World for $7.00 a pack. I should have bought all they had. Jason still likes Powerbelts but I think I prefer the Shockwaves myself. Posted Image

#6 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 09:13 PM

I've got a .50 cal Savage in smokeless with a Bushnell 3200 Elite 3X9 scope. I started out shooting sabots, then changed to Powerbelts in .50 cal. @ 245 gr. 'Aerotip'.

I don't call myself a super shot with the rifle as I rarely get out to shoot much with them, as I lean more to the bow. But a couple weeks ago I went out to my club's range to verify the sights were on before I went out for the muzzleloader season last week. I was shooting at 100 yards, and the first two shots were simply to get me calmed down. The next 3 were in the 1-1/2" bullseye and were all touching. Got'ta tell you, I was pretty pleased with myself.

What I was wondering, is how far is a muzzleloader effective and accurate at? I watched a hunting show this sumer where a guy made a 310 yard shot on an elk with a TC Encore .50 cal. I was pretty impressed with that shot and was wondering if it was just plain luck, or can a smoke pole be effective and consistant in the hands of a well practiced shooter at those ranges?

I was hoping to take my muzzleloader out to a farm of one of my hunting buddies to try a few long range shots to see how accurate I could make it at those ranges. My club only has a shooting range up to 100 yards, so I rarely get the chance to practice any further.

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 09:23 PM

I've got a .50 cal Savage in smokeless with a Bushnell 3200 Elite 3X9 scope. I started out shooting sabots, then changed to Powerbelts in .50 cal. @ 245 gr. 'Aerotip'.

I don't call myself a super shot with the rifle as I rarely get out to shoot much with them, as I lean more to the bow. But a couple weeks ago I went out to my club's range to verify the sights were on before I went out for the muzzleloader season last week. I was shooting at 100 yards, and the first two shots were simply to get me calmed down. The next 3 were in the 1-1/2" bullseye and were all touching. Got'ta tell you, I was pretty pleased with myself.

What I was wondering, is how far is a muzzleloader effective and accurate at? I watched a hunting show this sumer where a guy made a 310 yard shot on an elk with a TC Encore .50 cal. I was pretty impressed with that shot and was wondering if it was just plain luck, or can a smoke pole be effective and consistant in the hands of a well practiced shooter at those ranges?

I was hoping to take my muzzleloader out to a farm of one of my hunting buddies to try a few long range shots to see how accurate I could make it at those ranges. My club only has a shooting range up to 100 yards, so I rarely get the chance to practice any further.

Geoff / TBow

I'm sure there are those that will argue the point but I personally think 200 yards is the max I'd shoot at, and only then with one of the newer inlines because of the powder charges they'll stand and the sabot type bullets they'll shoot. The conditions; target, wind, terain and everything would all have to be absolutely perfect for me to try beyond that and I'm still not sure that I would. It's kinda like bow hunting. Most of us limit our shots to 40 yards but there are those who will take shots at 70 yards, or better, and actually kill deer. I have to wonder how many they wound that get away though. Jim Shockey is well known for his muzzleloader prowess but even he is hesitant to try beyond 200 yards. I know RL made a pretty long shot on a coyote with his Optima that was very impressive. Also, I just don't think the bullet would retain enough energy to be consitantly lethal on larger game out past 200. Paul, Cayugad, Falcon whatcha think guys? By the way, I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 3x9x40 on my Encore .270. Man I love that scope!Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 13 December 2009 - 09:32 PM.

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:49 AM

I do not use a large powder charge in any of my front loaders. I personally have about a 100 yd distance limit. With my flintlock that distance is more like 75 yds. In order to have enough retained energy at long distance you need a very hefty powder charge with its accompanied hefty recoil and smoke cloud. My idea of a perfect muzzleloader hunt is one where I can get really close before the shot. I want the hunt to be me against the deer, not the rifle against the deer. The rifle is simply the tool to bring the animal home I am the hunter not my rifle.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:50 AM

I do not use a large powder charge in any of my front loaders. I personally have about a 100 yd distance limit. With my flintlock that distance is more like 75 yds. In order to have enough retained energy at long distance you need a very hefty powder charge with its accompanied hefty recoil and smoke cloud. My idea of a perfect muzzleloader hunt is one where I can get really close before the shot. I want the hunt to be me against the deer, not the rifle against the deer. The rifle is simply the tool to bring the animal home I am the hunter not my rifle.

Well said Paul. I'm limiting my loads to two 50gr pellets of 777. My Optima seems to like that load and I sure don't see any need for more. Your words bring to mind what my ancestors first told the settlers about their firearms. There is little honor in being far off at a safe distance and killing an enemy. Much more honor in getting up close and personal where the enemy has an even chance. I think that applies well to hunting too.Posted Image

#10 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:57 PM

Hey now Norm, I don't think I want a deer to have an even chance at me. Pound for pound they will win every time. I prefer to keep the weapon in my hands and not the game.Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image All joking aside, we usually go and sight in at 100 yrds. but also set up a target at 250. If your in line is not a Magnum (check with your dealer) you should never put more than the specified charge down her throat. I have a Knight in line and it says Magnum but the specified charge for a magnum load is 120 gr. My optima pro however will take a Magnum charge which is 150 gr. I put 3 50gr pellets in her and a t/c 250gr spire tip yellow jacket type. At 250 yrds I had a 3 shot grouping of about 4 1/2 inches. Now you have to take into consideration the wind when shooting longe range also. At 250 yrds my bullet dropped about 18" from where it hit at 100 yrds. I however am like Norm. I prefer to shoot close range and will not try anything over 200 yrds. I am very confident at 200 yrds. and that is because I know my weapon. Same principal with my bow. I do practice 100 yrd shots but that is only because that makes me deadly inside 40 yrds.

Steve

#11 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:05 AM

That is some great shooting. The deer better stay away from you or they will end up in the freezer.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#12 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:05 PM

That is some great shooting. The deer better stay away from you or they will end up in the freezer.

Posted Image Thanks bud, that's what I'm hoping any ways.Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users