• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 rlm

rlm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:55 PM

I'm new to this site and to muzzleloading. I've spent most of my hunting life using a recurve or longbow, but artheritis is starting to take it's toll. I saw a T/C .54 sidleock percussion on an auction site and figured why not try it, long story short I won the bid, took it out and had a great time shooting it and the accuracy to 100yds was surprising. Posted Image Now I'm looking for a used .36 for squirrel hunting if someone has one they want to sell let me know, not looking to spend alot so it doesn't have to be in great shape just fuctional. Wish I would have discovered this hobby sooner. Thanks. Roger

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:06 PM

Welcome Roger. I know your pain. I too am a young man in an older mans body. Bad shoulders has caused me to give up on traditional archery and go to the dreaded crossbow to sling arrows. I have been making smoke with a flintlock since the middle 70s and have had a great time hunting with flintlock, sidelock percussion and even an inline. I do not have a 36 cal though so cannot help you out there. The 36 cal is a little scarce as it is not powerful enough for big game but great fun as a plinker. If you have any questions on muzzleloading there are some really good people on here ready to help. Again Welcome.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:45 AM

Welcome to our campfire Roger. Paul (PA Ridgerunner) isn't really old.....actually he's ancient! Posted Image I too have been shooting front stuffers for over 30 years. Between me, Paul, Cayugad, Falcon and several others, there's an awfull lot of exsperience here. If one of us can't answer a question the other's can.Posted Image I just ran accross a .32 recently and I'm trying to think where. Not sure if it was on GunBroker or at one of the gun shows. I'll keep an eye out for you one. It sure would be great fun for squirrel hunting. Posted Image

Ok, just checked, it was on GunBroker. It's a Thompson Center Cherokee but they're pretty proud of it. It has a "Buy it Now" of $550 I go to a LOT of gun shows and frequent the Pawn Shops so, as I said, I'll keep my eyes open.

Edited by Spirithawk, 15 December 2009 - 09:50 AM.

#4 rlm

rlm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for the welcome and the replies, I appreciate any help I can get. Ridge Runner I know the feeling of having to give up the longbow, it's tough for me and I'm thinking of going to something real light not enough for hunting but still can do some stump shooting. I picked up the muzzleloader because I don't like being in the woods when all the shotgunners come out, it's like being in combat again,had enough of that.

SpiritHawk I appreciate you keeping an eye out for me, I've looked around and they want alot for some of these guns. I was thinking about the .36 not only for squirrel but woodchucks also. I just wished I would have picked this hobby up sooner it's really a blast. As mywife says "just what you need another hobby", well it keeps me out of the house. Not to change the subject but I see you are a brother vet, how do you like dealing with the VA where you are? Thanks again. Roger 1st Cav

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:49 PM

[Quote] SpiritHawk I appreciate you keeping an eye out for me, I've looked around and they want alot for some of these guns. I was thinking about the .36 not only for squirrel but woodchucks also. I just wished I would have picked this hobby up sooner it's really a blast. As mywife says "just what you need another hobby", well it keeps me out of the house. Not to change the subject but I see you are a brother vet, how do you like dealing with the VA where you are? Thanks again. Roger 1st Cav

No problem, I love loooking at guns. Posted Image Yes, I'm a disabled Vietnam Vet. USAF 97th Bomb Wing 340th Bomb Squadron. We have a new VA Clinic here in Branson that's a real blessing. However, I refuse to go back to the VA hospital in Fayetteville Ark, which is the closest to me. They tried convincing me that I didn't have heart nor lung problems without even examining me. Good thing I knew Better. I have private doctors and both my Cardiologist and Pulmonary docs told me I'd have been dead within a week if I'd have listened to the VA docs! The VA doc I have at the new clinic here asked me if I had private doctors. When I told him yes he looked me square in the eyes and told me to be sure and keep them. I trust the VA for minor things but nothing serious at all.

Edited by Spirithawk, 15 December 2009 - 03:50 PM.

#6 rlm

rlm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:04 PM

SpiritHawk, Same here, I tell people if you really want to know what socialized medicine is like just check out the VA, it'll scare the crap out of you. Had so many problems with them here non of us vets trust them. Anyway thnks again for keeping an eye out for me, I love looking at guns also but living in the peoples republic of New Jersey makes it tough. you even have to have a firearms id card to get a bb gun, and slingshots are totally illegal. Roger

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:05 PM

It's one of my major pet peves. I tell people that I'm surprised our uniforms didn't disposible soldier written on them. I told my son and my brother to keep an eye out for you a reasonably priced .36 but you may come sooner finding a .32. Would that suit you? I always wanted to try barking squirrels with one, though I once met a guy that did so with a .50.

#8 rlm

rlm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:26 PM

SpiritHawk, Thanks, yes a .32 would do. I have a buddy who hunts tree rats with a ML and has a ball doing it. See more of them than deer!! I think that's what our govnt. thinks were disposable, I sure know they sure wish we would just go away when they're finished with us. Roger

#9 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:14 AM

Since you have a T/C .54 caliber which is 1 inch on the flats.... check with Green Mountain Barrel Company. They sell a .36 and a .40 caliber which are fine for small game barrel. These are top of the line barrels and will serve you well. They will drop right into the stock of your Hawkins and give you a top of the line small game rifle. .32 calibers are fine, but as we know... small caliber/more fouling. So you might have to swab after every shot with that .32 caliber. Going up to a .36 or .40 and you will have a little more reach, a slightly larger ball, and in some states the .40 is actually legal for deer hunting. Also being Green Mountain they have the twist you want.

Another choice is, Green Mountain makes a small caliber small game rifle on a Knight Disc stock. So you have a great barrel, excellent ignition system, custom stock, timney trigger, and you can mount a scope on it for knocking the tree rats out of them upper branches. They are a little more expensive then most rifles but they were on sale a while back. Telephone Kerry at GMB and ask her what they have in stock or what is being planned to come off the run. She is a great source of information.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#10 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:53 PM

Hey Roger just move a little to the west to PA and get out of that crazy liberal NJ. I had not thought of the Green Mt drop in barrels mentioned by Cayugad. I have a knight bighorn that sports a green mt barrel and it is a real shooter in 50 cal. I also have a locally made RMC accusporter which also sports a green mt barrel. I have 2 50 cal barrels of differing twist rates and could have bought a 36 cal but chose not to. I would bet a 36 cal would be a great turkey gun where legal in the fall.

#11 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:01 PM

Paul, old friend, you have way too many guns. You should drop a few off at my house. Posted Image Posted Image

#12 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:48 PM

It may be said by some that a man can have too many guns but as Eric always says a man can't have too many guns. I do have a few guns that I have not shot yet. There are a couple because of value I never intend to shoot but I have a walther PP in 22 cal that I have never shot. Once I buy a gun I seldom sell or trade it. I have sold or traded a few though but I even have a right handed muzzleloader that has become a loaner to those soldiers of misfortune that need one.

#13 rlm

rlm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:59 AM

Ridge Runner, I hope I can get out of this state in the next few years, it is not only ultra liberal but also full of tree huggers who will go to the store and buy steaks and condem you for shooting bambi. They have no clue where their meat comes from. Again I want to thank you all for the warm welcome. Roger

#14 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:17 AM

You are most welcome Roger. Anytime. If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask. Oh and I am a vet too. 35 yrs in PA Air Guard full time.

#15 rlm

rlm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:42 PM

Ridge Runner and Spirit Hawk and any other member thank you for your service to our country. Roger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users