14 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:07 PM

When I first started hunting I simply loved a semi auto or a bolt action. I liked the idea of having that follow up shot if needed. Then, back in 01 I won that contest from Secrets Of The Hunt and part of the prize was my Encore .270 and I fell in love! The more I hunted with it, the more I loved it too. I let Jason use it a time or two and guess what? He too fell in love with it, as did his boys and many of our friends. Why? Because there is just something about hunting with a single shot. Besides knowing you have to make that one shot count it just has a charm that I can't fully exsplain. There are 8 rifles in my gun cabinet and five of them are single shots. I'm sure we'll add even more. On dangerous game I might think otherwise but for everything else I love my single shots.Posted Image

#2 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:00 PM

I have one semi auto rifle....a Ruger 10/22. it sets right next to a Marlin Bolt Action 22 that was my very first rifle.

I can't say I have any single shots. Nor do I believe I've ever had a single shot. But bolt action is my rifle of choice.

I take that back :) I have a 54 cal muzzle loader...the true single shot ;)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#3 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:27 AM

Repeaters offer convenience at the cost of more peices that can malfunction or fail. Usually taking longer to clean, but that isn't alway the case.

Single shots are simple, long-lasting (100's of years) and absolutely reliable.

For me the winner has to be the single shot. For the same reason I own both a gas furnace and wood stove but heat exclusively with the wood stove.

There is a peace of mind that comes when holding a well engineered machine that can give constant service and still outlast you and your children with nothing more than cleaning maintenance.

To be fair in my opinion though. Most well made repeaters will probably last just as long without service if used right. I've never broken an extractor myself but hear it's possible if you make a habit of placing a round in the chamber then closing the bolt on it rather than letting it feed out of the mag. My point is just that some folks prefer to sacrifice convenience for peace of mind an I'm one of them.

Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#4 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:56 AM

My first gun was a pellet rifle that my dad bought me when I was about 9 or 10. It was a single shooter. Then he bought me a 20 guage single shot shotgun when I was around 13. I still have that shotgun and it accompanies me north every fall on my moose hunting excursions as a grouse gun. Although I was wielding at bow since I was 9 or 10, I started seriously bowhunting for big game some 37 years ago. The concept behind a bow is a single shot and that approach sort'a followed me to some degree into my use of firearms. You tend to take greater care on the one shot that you know you only have, rather than rely on thinking if you miss, you've got a heap more amo (shots) where that came from. Oh ya I still have a couple of semies and some repeaters, but almost 1/2 of my gun cabinet is made of of single shooters.

I've relplaced my old .177 pellet rifle with a Diana RWS 1000 fps .22 which can be used for most small game within 30 yards. I have my Savage .50 cal. in-line muzzleloader. A Browning B-78 single shot in .243 with a varmint barrel and of course my old reliable 20 ga. Cooey single shot.

Besides being more reliable as an action, I believe a single shooter tends to provide a greater challenge to the individual. After all, that's one of the reasons I started bowhunting.

Geoff / TBow

Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:11 AM

You guys touched on the many reasons I love a single shot so much. The simplicity of the action, it's reliability ( Sure won't jam Posted Image ), the challenge of making that one shot count, it all combines to make a very enjoyable weapon to hunt with. Bruce, I think you made a really great point. Hunting with a single shot is much like hunting with a muzzleloader. Of course you can reload much quicker with a single shot but it's still that charm of making that one shot count. Hi-power repeater wise, our gun cabinet holds a Ruger Mark II 7mm mag and a Winchester .30-.30, either one of which I could hunt with any time, but when I reach in the cabinet I always grab my Encore. If I didn't have it I think I'd hunt exclusively with my Optima Pro.Posted Image

#6 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 16 December 2009 - 01:34 PM

Posted Image

Single Shots Rule!

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:40 PM

Posted Image

Single Shots Rule!

Posted Image I knew there was some reason I liked you you old goat!Posted Image

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 08:59 AM

I agree with the single shot concept. I am right handed but left eye dominant. I shoot my best left handed. Other than my muzzleloaders the rest of my rifles are for the most part right handed bolt actions. I got used to shooting a right handed bolt from the lefty hold because back when I started shooting you either could not buy a left hand bolt or they were way out of my nonexistent budget. My dad always loved a lever action but many times when he heard two or three shots during the deer season said that deer most likely was still going. I think the same thing today. When someone asks me how I operate a right handed bolt from a lefty hold my usual reply is I have one good shot and a convenient place in the rifle to store several extra cartridges. If you make the first shot your best one most times there is little need for any more.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#9 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:02 AM

I don't have any problem at all needing just one shot. I do admit that I have a problem getting single shots to shot as accurately as my bolt actions.
Posted Image

#10 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:27 AM

I don't have any problem at all needing just one shot. I do admit that I have a problem getting single shots to shot as accurately as my bolt actions.

Maybe I'm just lucky but my T/C Encore .270 is one of the most accurate rifles I've ever had the pleasure to shoot. Jason can attest that at 100 yards, with a bench rest and factory Federal ammo, it will consistantly put them through the same hole. My BPI-CVA Optima Pro .50, with it's Bergara barrel, is surprisingly very accurate too. Jason had a Ruger #1 .22-250 that was no slouch either. Now I'm not shooting at ranges, such as out west, but out to 200 yards I'm very confident that either rifle will do the job quite nicely on anything I care to shoot at. With the Encore I've made over 300 yard shots and dropped Whitetails in their tracks. I'm not saying all single shots are that accurate, I only know what I've personaly shot, but I've never had a problem hunting with one. I decide to target shoot I might think differant but right now I'm having enough fun hunting. Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 25 December 2009 - 10:29 AM.

#11 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:26 PM

Norm, I'll say you've been lucky. If you have a really accurate single shot then never sell it! I've never figured out what you can do to improve the accuracy of a bad single shot short of specifically tuning a load to that gun. I can do several things to a bolt gun that will improve it with several different loads.
Posted Image

#12 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 01:04 PM

Norm, I'll say you've been lucky. If you have a really accurate single shot then never sell it!

Ya sure don't have to worry about that Leo. I'm tempted to have that Encore put in the casket with me when I die. Posted Image The only reason I won't is because it would disapoint Jason too much. He sure wants that Encore! Posted Image As for Ruger #1's, I know Fred, Red Green, up in Canada has killed many deer at over 600 yards with his. He does hand load though. I truly believe too that accuracy has a lot to do with your having faith in, and knowing, your gun. I've had really good guns, that I hated and couldn't shoot worth a darn, but those I passed them on to loved them and shot quite well with them. I think all the factors that go into good accurate shooting is what makes it so much fun for us all. Besides, if every gun was a tack driver I wouldn't have as many excuses for buying more. Posted Image Posted Image

PS. Merry Christmas Leo Wishing the best to you and your's.

Edited by Spirithawk, 25 December 2009 - 01:06 PM.

#13 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 01:14 PM

Merry Christmas Norm and family!

If I was gonna dive into the single shot arena again (notice I say again) it would be either a Ruger #1 or a Browning Highwall. I don't have much faith in the break barrel design for centerfire rifles.
Posted Image

#14 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 01:17 PM

Merry Christmas Norm and family!

If I was gonna dive into the single shot arena again (notice I say again) it would be either a Ruger #1 or a Browning Highwall. I don't have much faith in the break barrel design for centerfire rifles.

My dream rifle is a Sharps.Posted Image

#15 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:25 AM

While I certainly buy into the 1 shot concept, Give me a Lever Gun!!! Semi Autos and Bolts, not so much, but carrying a Lever gun into the deer woods, or anywhere else for that matter, has all the nostalgia and charm I'm looking for. No scopes, just peeps. Ranges less than a hundred yds. Classic cartridges. 25-35 Win, , 38-55Win, 32 spec, 300 Sav, and of course the 45/70, All look good, shoot good, both in the woods and at the range

Edited by mudduck, 26 December 2009 - 10:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users