#1 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:01 AM

Posted Image

As you can tell, that's not me...and I didn't kill that monster P&Y whitetail...that's my son Case (prefers to be called Case now - says Casey sounds like a little boy). Case is 15 going on 21 and has a number of whitetail under his archery belt, but this is his first P&Y whitetail and he's thrilled to have taken him. So, why am I posting about my son's deer? Because, in a way, this is my deer. Let me explain:

Case is a three-sport athlete at BNL highschool and unfortunately whitetail season is also football season. His treestand time is severely limited. As a starting linebacker and quarterback for the JV football team the demands on his time are incredible. Add to that an honor roll student who takes all AP courses on track for an aspiring engineering student career at a university yet to be determined he's a young man with a great deal on his plate. He also happens to be a whitetail and bow hunting junkie (don't know where he gets that from).

Finally, there was a window of opportunity on a late October Saturday afternoon and Case was with me for only the third time this season. I placed him in a stand I'd scouted, but not yet hunted. I knew there was at least one bruiser in the area and wanted Case to have the opportunity. You see, fathers who hunt have a special love for their kids - it's always better for them to take the trophy. The bible says that there's no greater love than a man lay down his life for his friends. I submit there's another very special love - when a father lays down the life of a dream for his son. I've taken dozens of whitetail bucks, but have yet to crack the magic 125 number for a P&Y entry. That buck was roaming these woods. That buck now belongs to my son.

I set up further down the ridge in an attempt to catch anything on the edge. To my surprise, a mere one hour into the stand, a huge 10-pt emerged below me and began making a scrape. He turned toward the forky that was watching, gave him "the eye". The forky dropped his head and turned away - no doubt who the boss was. The big 10 turned to leave, so i tried in desperation to grunt - no reaction. I grunted again - no reaction. Then I gave a snort wheeze and the buck stopped, turned in his tracks and headed straight for the confused forky.

The little buck wasted no time in headed for safety - he wanted no part of the ***-kicking headed his way. Once again the buck turned to leave so i snort-wheezed again. This time the buck looked up the hill in my direction. he started toward my stand, my heart raced, then he turned and circled at 70 yards or so - all the way around - looking for the source of the challenge. By the time he ended his circle, leaving on a tangent, he was headed straight for Case's stand! A short 2 minutes later came the familiar "FFFF-WHACK!" The deer ran straight toward my stand. I watched him stumble and fall a mere 40 yards from my stand.

My cell phone vibrated in my chest pocket and i knew what the text message would say. Tears of joy flowed down my face as I thanked God he allowe my boy to arrow his first P&Y deer at only 15 with very limited time. His deer green scores 147 and will likely take the Bloomington Archery Club Big Buck Contest first place for 2009 - stay tuned.

Two weeks later, from the exact same stand i was blessed to take this deer from the same stand. Again, green scoring 117 and just off the mark again. I wouldn't have it any other way:

Posted Image
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:33 AM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Congrats to the both of you!
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:15 PM

That is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! What an awesome young man also. I can tell you are very proud. Congrats to both of you.

Steve

#4 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:56 PM

Posted Image Congrats!

#5 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:58 AM

Posted Image Congrats!

Simply awesome Mark!Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:37 AM

JJ,

First off, let me say, you know I have always been one of your biggest fans. You do it so right in so many ways! Between you and Phil, I do not think there could possibly be two better role models . I congratulate you for a job well done! Case too!

Now, I am struggling...

What sounds more manly, "Casey at the bat" or "Case sipping latte"? I guess I'll work my way through it!!Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#7 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:46 AM

Thanks guys for all the congrats - it is appreciated. I will accept congrats and pass them along to Case tonight - he's itching to get back in a stand Saturday. Froze our rears off Sunday - zero sightings all day (four Sundays in a row). The kid's got stick I'll say that for him.

Will - you are a treasure brother. It has been far too long since we shared a campfire...something we simply must turn around. I'm flattered you think so highly of me, I'm constantly bragging about this guy I know in Colorado that's killed everything that draws a breath - ten times over! LOL. And again, your passion and ethics are top drawer.

I tell everyone I'm just a guy, same as anyone else. I make more mistakes than I'll ever admit - often the same ones. "I'm not a great hunter - I just don't give up." That's my contribution to hunting lore if there's a place.

"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:57 PM

Congrats to you both. Posted Image

#9 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:07 AM

Thought everyone might be interested to know that Case did indeed win the 2009 Big Buck Contest at our local club. Check him out on the website front page: www.bloomingtonarchery.com.

He won $140 and his name on the plaque in the club. It was the first time in club history that a youth (18 and under) won the big buck contest; this is a club that goes all the way back to the 1940's, a pretty big deal. He's very proud and so am I.

#10 Fossil

Fossil

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and rockhounding..............

Posted 30 January 2010 - 11:27 AM

Nice job and great deer..........
Posted Image

God,family and friends-What else is there..................

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users