4 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:19 AM

It's no secret that muzzleloaders can be very finicky as to what load shoots best out of one. You can even have two identicle rifles, same make, model and caliber and they prefer differant loads. Type of powder, or pellets, bullet type, and number of grains of powder, patches, sabots, all make huge differances. My Knight MK-85 loved the MMP Sabot, 310 grain Nossler copper jacketed flat lead nosed bullet, and 100 grains of FF Pioneer Powder. My new Optima Pro seems to like two 50 gr pellets of 777 and a 250 gr Spire Point T/C Shockwave. Thought it would be interesting to see what shoots best in each of our muzzleloaders, then compare the answers and see if there are any noticable comparisons as to what bullet type and powder charges they favor. I know, I have entirely too much time on my hands! Posted Image Posted Image

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:06 PM

I do agree with one thing, you have too much time on your hands but that is ok. I am just glad you have time on your hands. My son Eric and I have identical Knight bighorns and surprise they both like the same load the best. The load we use is 80 gr of ffg Goex black powder, a 300 grain Hornady .452 xtp bullet in a Harvester Crush rib sabot with ignition using a musket cap. My RMC accusporter flintlock likes the same bullet/sabot combo but with 90 gr of FFFG Goex. My left handed Investarms flintlock shoots either a prb or a TC maxi ball best with 75 gr of FFFG Goex. Erics Lyman flintlock likes a PRB with a wad underneath and 75 to 80 gr of FFFG Goex. I have a traditions sidelock percussion that does not like anything I feed it.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 03:16 PM

85grs pyrodex 300gr Hornady XTP in my TC Omega is currently working awesome with 2 quick harvests so far.Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:52 AM

My T/C Pro Hunter really likes 150 grains of Triple 7 pellets and a 250 grain Shockwave bullet.

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:42 PM

Oh I forgot my right handed flintlock Investarms likes 75 gr of FFFG and a .490 PRB and an .010 patch and a felt wad. My 1:48 barrel for my Accusporter is still in development.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users