10 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:53 PM

When I started out bowhunting for big game some 37 or 38 years ago, I shot a recurve bow instinctively. Man there were some pretty looking bows being made at that time. Real works of art by comparison to the engineered arrow launchers that are common place in the woods today.

I used to read a lot about the top archers and bowhunters of the day at that time. I read some articles about some young guy named Chuck Adams who was writing a lot of articles and seemed to be taking a lot of trophies with his recvurve.

Two guys I idolized at that time (and still do) were Howard Hill and Fred Bear. I now have a couple Fred Bear recurves hanging proudly on my wall in my 'man cave', but I still am void of a Howard Hill longbow. I'd sure love to have one, but they are a lot of money for something I might not get a lot of chances to shoot. I've browsed the internet to check out on-line auctions and classifieds, and have seen a few Howard Hill bows that typically go for $350 to $500 US. Buy most of them would just end up as wall hangers, and not shooters for me as they usually don't match the specs I'd prefer.

I went on the Howard Hill Archery website and can order one to exactly what I want, but with the options I'd like, plus US to cdn exchange and S&H, I'd be beating up the better part of $750 to $800 cdn. OUCH!

Does anyone else here shoot a Howard Hill and if so, how do you like it? Do you shoot the traditional straight hand grip, the dished grip or the pistol (locator) grip? I've got a Ben Pearson longbow, but it has a lot of hand shock upon release and is 60 lbs. I was hoping the Howard Hill with the bamboo limb laminations would be a smoother torque wise.

I'd only like a bow in the 40 to 42# range, but most used ones I've come across are higher poundages. I'd like one that I could shoot at field tournaments just for fun and a 40 pounder would be a hoot to shoot. I was looking at the Big Five or the Wesley Special Big Five. I was even hoping to get a silver moose inlay, but then again, that all puts the cost up.

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 06:23 PM

Geoff,

I've had the opportunity to shoot one of Jerry Hill longbows when I was living in Alabama. Jerry was Howard's nephew and was taught to make bows by Howard himself. This bow was absolutely gorgeous. Jerry's bows are reputed for their freedom of defects and this one was no exception. It also was a shooter. But honestly hand shock is still very high if you compare it to a highly engineered compound of today. This bow was a traditional straight grip which is less torquey IMO than the pistol grip.

I believe hand shock is something you are just going to have to learn to live with in recurves and longbows.

BTW,

I could have bought that bow for $150 at the time. Too bad I couldn't afford it.
Posted Image

#3 woodswalker

woodswalker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Trad archery,Trapping and woodscraft

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:15 PM

I cant claim to have shot one of their bows YET. I do however live pretty close to the shop here in MT and have been up there a few times. Others may have had different experiences but the feeling I got when I was up there was that if your not spending a large amount of money (I was buying a bowstring and some fletchings) they don't want you around. I also bought half a dozen arrows from them when I was first getting into archery. It wasnt untill later I found out they were spined for a 90 lb bow, I was shooting a 47 lb bow. It might just be my experience only, but I wont go back there if I can avoid it. I am in no way saying anything against MR. Hill or his bows. If you are interested in a D bow I would suggest contacting Cowiche archery, he will give you a good bow at a good price.

#4 rlm

rlm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:36 PM

I have a Howard Hill Wesley Special 66" 57# @ 28", it is a very smooth and forgiving bow. As far as hand shock, I don't feel any, you have to know how to hold it, if you try to hold it like a recurve it will kick, hold it correctly and they are a joy to shoot. Check this site out, it will answer a lot of your questions. http://howardhillshooters.com/ Any other questions just ask Richard Wightman at that site, I also believe that Craig Ekins at Howard Hill will let you try before you buy, hope this helps. Roger

#5 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for the info Roger, and welcome to the site. I'll check out the Howard Hill Shooters site you mentioned.

Happy New Year!

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#6 cowiche

cowiche

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:11 PM

When I started out bowhunting for big game some 37 or 38 years ago, I shot a recurve bow instinctively. Man there were some pretty looking bows being made at that time. Real works of art by comparison to the engineered arrow launchers that are common place in the woods today.

I used to read a lot about the top archers and bowhunters of the day at that time. I read some articles about some young guy named Chuck Adams who was writing a lot of articles and seemed to be taking a lot of trophies with his recvurve.

Two guys I idolized at that time (and still do) were Howard Hill and Fred Bear. I now have a couple Fred Bear recurves hanging proudly on my wall in my 'man cave', but I still am void of a Howard Hill longbow. I'd sure love to have one, but they are a lot of money for something I might not get a lot of chances to shoot. I've browsed the internet to check out on-line auctions and classifieds, and have seen a few Howard Hill bows that typically go for $350 to $500 US. Buy most of them would just end up as wall hangers, and not shooters for me as they usually don't match the specs I'd prefer.

I went on the Howard Hill Archery website and can order one to exactly what I want, but with the options I'd like, plus US to cdn exchange and S&H, I'd be beating up the better part of $750 to $800 cdn. OUCH!

Does anyone else here shoot a Howard Hill and if so, how do you like it? Do you shoot the traditional straight hand grip, the dished grip or the pistol (locator) grip? I've got a Ben Pearson longbow, but it has a lot of hand shock upon release and is 60 lbs. I was hoping the Howard Hill with the bamboo limb laminations would be a smoother torque wise.

I'd only like a bow in the 40 to 42# range, but most used ones I've come across are higher poundages. I'd like one that I could shoot at field tournaments just for fun and a 40 pounder would be a hoot to shoot. I was looking at the Big Five or the Wesley Special Big Five. I was even hoping to get a silver moose inlay, but then again, that all puts the cost up.

Geoff / TBow

Geoff i noticed someone recommended you to my site, www.cowichearchery.com for a Howard Hill style longbow. Check my home page I make a great longbow. 66" overall, reflex limbs and no handshock. The bow your interested in is at the bottom of my homepage. Let me know what you think.

#7 cowiche

cowiche

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:17 PM

Geoff I noticed someone referred you to my website, (www.cowichearchery.com), for a Howard Hill style Longbow. I make a 66" reflex limb bow with no handshock. If you're interested check out my homepage. The bow you're interested in is at the bottom of the page.
Let me know what you think.

#8 gvlham

gvlham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:29 AM

The question about owning and shooting a Howard Hill bow.
My father-in-law, Ralph Edwards, was an awesome archer and personal friend of the famous yet humble Howard Hill. As a gift Mr. Hill gave Ralph one of his most powerful slight recurved fiberglass backed bows. They hunted Utah and Arizona together and Ralph told me so many wonderful stories about their hours in the field. When Ralph could no longer hunt he gave me all his archery equipment including all his Howard Hill equipment. I used the bow to kill a four point buck up above Ashland Oregon at about 40 yards. The bow was awesome in the way it held elevation for so long. While building a new home someone broke into the basement area that I had locked and stole ALL my hunting equipment. I had a full collection of Gerber and Buck knives, beautiful quivers and arrows and my Fred Bear and Howard Hill bow.
I can't remember feeling so violated. Finding arrows in old buildings and trees for months afterwards I realized that some punk kid took my treasures and had no idea what he had taken.
I have hunted with a High Country compound for the past 15 years. It shoots at about 70 pounds, flat and accurate. Because it is so well contructed I don't worry about a bump now and then. Some of the light weight modern equipment is tempermental and easily damaged, but shoot faster. Guess what, at 35 yards you can kill an elk with a slow shooting long bow, so what is all the speed about?
Good hunting!

#9 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:57 AM

gv,
Welcome to the site. That's terrible about your stuff being taken. And a great story about your uncle and Howard Hill for you to cherish. Ever since I started seriously bowhunting back in the early 70s, I've odolized archery legends like Howard Hill, Fred Bear and men who were leading the way in archery and bowhunting, not just followers.

Every few days or so I keep going onto the Howard Hill Archery website to lay out my perfect Howard Hill longbow and then tabulating the costs....then just keep scratching my head trying to sypher what old goodies around the house I can sell to afford one. It's not just that I want a longbow, I want a Howard Hill longbow. Ya I know, it wouldn't be a bow made by the man himself, but then not all Fred Bear bows were made by him either.

Hope your visits here are enjoyable.

Geoff / TBow

#10 snydleyed

snydleyed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:traditional archery, bow building, hunting and fishing

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:04 AM

My suggestion si go to a shoot that the howard hill people are going to be at and shoot one buying a bow is like finding a wife I like brunnetts you like blonds so go date a few and buy the one you fall in love with. OH yeah become a Mormon you will end up with more then one (WIFE)>

#11 DebbieLynnShell

DebbieLynnShell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:50 PM

I have a vintage Howard Hill Long Bow 50lb 5'6" lefty. It needs some minor restoring. It is listed on ebay. I would love to see it go to someone who would appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users