4 replies to this topic

#1 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:48 AM

I took my tc hawkens .50 cal out to shoot. I was shooting round balls with 80 gr. of triple 7. Im shooting in line with the bullseye but no matter how much I turn the elevation screw clockwise, Im still 8-10" high at 50 yrds. I've gotten alot better at ignoring the flash pan and concentrating on the target. Could this still be from flinching or is it my sight? Im getting a peep sight for my flintlock for Christmas. and flintlock season starts the day after. I can compensate and aim low or take a longer shot if neccessary. Any opinions?

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:04 AM

You are using 777 as a main charge in a flintlock!!! Are you getting any delayed ignition? I seriously doubt that your 8 - 10 high problem is due to flinching. A flinch will cause a bullet to go all over the place. Either your rear sight is not working or is maxed out where it is. What kind of sight are you using? Most of the sights on a tc are ramp sights that you just slide the sight forward to raise and backwards to lower the POI.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:20 AM

One of the particularly annoying things about screw/spring adjustable iron sights is their susceptibility to grit.

Just one little grain of sand in the mechanical adjustment portion of the sight and the adjustments will not work!

If you are making adjustments and POI isn't changing then it's often a safe bet the sight isn't moving. It's probably not broken just got an annoying piece of grit in the wrong place.
Posted Image

#4 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:04 PM

You are using 777 as a main charge in a flintlock!!! Are you getting any delayed ignition? I seriously doubt that your 8 - 10 high problem is due to flinching. A flinch will cause a bullet to go all over the place. Either your rear sight is not working or is maxed out where it is. What kind of sight are you using? Most of the sights on a tc are ramp sights that you just slide the sight forward to raise and backwards to lower the POI.

I do put a few grains of 4f bp in b4 I put in the 777 for faster ignition. The sight is original & is a ramp style sight. ANy suggestions on cleaning a ramp style rear sight?

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:44 PM

Is your sight the one with a hinge at the front and a screw on top part way back? If so try taking the screw all the way out. Be careful as there is a spring underneath there so do not lose that. This will allow you to clean the area in and around the sight. It sounds to me that the screw is already all the way unscrewed allowing the sight to be as high as possible. That definately could be why your hitting so high. If it is a true ramp sight there should be a very small allen screw on the top of the sight holding it fast to the ramp. To adjust this type of sight loosen the allen screw and slide the sight down the ramp and retighten.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users