• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:54 AM

No not Christmas, PAs Flintlock deer season. It starts the day after Christmas and goes to Jan 9th. No I do not get all dressed up in period garments but really enjoy getting out there and making some smoke with a flintlock. My buck tag becomes a statewide either sex tag for this season so I am not picky. Now to find a deer that will slow up a little after being chased and shot at since Sept. I am not very good on a running deer with a flintlock so hope I can find one that stops to look back to give me a chance.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:54 PM

No not Christmas, PAs Flintlock deer season. It starts the day after Christmas and goes to Jan 9th. No I do not get all dressed up in period garments but really enjoy getting out there and making some smoke with a flintlock. My buck tag becomes a statewide either sex tag for this season so I am not picky. Now to find a deer that will slow up a little after being chased and shot at since Sept. I am not very good on a running deer with a flintlock so hope I can find one that stops to look back to give me a chance.

Good luck buddy. Hope you score. So far our muzzy season has been a bust. Terrible weather and deer moving at night. We're a trying though. :)

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:19 PM

Just about the same thing here too. Bad weather is disaster for a flintlock and our deer are mostly nocturnal too. What we have found is that they do move a little earlier in the evening.

#4 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:00 PM

Planning on tagging out...er, I mean along with Paul & Eric New Year's day, next day wherever, last Saturday ....maybe a trip to the snowbelt to act as a driver for the gang....so many choices so little time!Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:49 PM

Good luck hunting and all of you have a great holiday season. Merry Christmas to all of you. Keep you flint sharp and your powder dry.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:15 AM

The same to you Cayugad. How did you do in Wisconsin this year. You haven't posted anything but I'll bet there is a good story or two to come.

#7 rlm

rlm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:25 PM

RidgeRunner, good luck hope you get at least one. Have had the same problem as everyone else, the deer are mostly nocturnal. Merry Christmas to all. Roger

#8 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:31 PM

How did you do in Wisconsin this year. You haven't posted anything but I'll bet there is a good story or two to come.

I ended up catching Swine Flu H1N1 two days before season. I have never been that sick in my life. It lasted for over two weeks before I went to the doctor. He treated me with antibiotics and a lecture about coming to him sooner. I finally now feel pretty good. Also because my knee was not 100%, my season was non existent basically.

The deer harvest in Wisconsin was the lowest in 30 years. They said the buck harvest was down 49% in some northern counties this year. Add that to the 30% it was down last year and it gives you an idea of the deer herd now. The DNR pushed the killing of doe for the last nine years. I mean we were forced to hunt only doe here. And now the herd is gone. And let me tell you there are a lot of hunters that are not happy.

Even the State legislature is looking into why the deer herd was destroyed. I personally feel it was car deer accidents and insurance companies. But then the DNR is not really answering the hunters's questions yet.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#9 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:35 PM

Good luck to you. Are you going traditional with the Posted Image Posted Image and buckskins? Posted Image Them things are long enough that you can swing them and connect from 6 or 7 feet. Posted Image Now I know how flinters score! Posted Image

#10 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:27 AM

Im looking forward to going out. Now I just hope that the snow hasnt ruined the spot I wanted to try. But then again I'll be able to find an active trail easier. Cant forget the gps & topo.

#11 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:35 AM

I do not adhere to the traditional firearms or the associated garments. Heck I use a rifle that has a 1:28 twist and shoot a sabotted Hornady bullet. Yes it is still a flintlock but that is about the only thing traditional about it. It only sports a 24 inch barrel which makes it light enough that I do not need a gun bearer.

#12 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:59 PM

:blink: Just as the family and I were arriving home from my cousins a few min ago, there were deer digging in the corn field across the road from PA's house. :yes:

There must have been close to 10 deer there near the road, I think I have a plan for next week as I will be out there all week trying to find them. Time to make the smoke fly. :)-
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#13 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 08:29 AM

I have so many deer tracks in my front and back yard I am thinking of opening a petting zoo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users