#1 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:36 AM

This afternoon I recieved the best Christmas present ever.

The morning started out normally enough for a Christmas morning, and we were off to Grandma's house for dinner with the family. I ate some good food and chatted with the family for awhile and this included the person who I almost always have to mention whenever I write about a hunting trip, my cousin from CA (easily the best hunter I know). I asked him about moving a stand from one end of a property to the other, and he agreed.

"Bring your bow with, I want to shoot mine a little," he told me as he dropped me off at my house so I could pick up my bright green and white Arctic Cat snowmobile suit to wear while moving the stand. I hurried out the door with my bow case, hunting pack, and the suit. We took off towards the farm.

Upon arriving at the farm, my cousin changed his mind very quickly about taking a stand down. The weather was nasty, with strong winds, sleet, and general nastiness. A foot and a half layer of wet, heavy, sticky snow was everywhere.

"I know where you have a good chance at a deer. This weather is perfect," he told me, as I mentioned about hunting in a bright green snowmobile outfit that probably smells like who knows what to a deer. He told me to not even worry about it, and we laughed about it as we took off for "Mickleson's".

Because he was just visiting for Christmas, and out of state liscences are outragously priced, he wasn't hunting. I had a very good guide by my side for sure, though. We parked the truck on the northern road, and walked along the western line fence on the small cornfield until we were about about 20 yards from the corner and we plopped down in the line fence, pretty well hidden. Shortly after, a large doe and two smaller does came up out of the ravine where they were protected by the wind and out of sight and trotted along the edge of the cornfield just to our right. I came to full draw as my cousin whistled to try to get them to stop, but they either were not interested or didn't hear him. They continued west into the woods, turning north just out of bow range and caught our scent. They crossed the northern road and were gone.

Still having about an hour and a half of daylight left, we decided to cross the ravine to get to the top of the CRP field on the other side, just to see if anything was down there. The ravine is about 20 feet deep and about 10 yards wide, and the deer love to bed down there and use it as a travel corridor because of the safety aspect. We then reached the other side, and stopped in the treeline to rest a little, as climbing up the ravine in a foot of snow is not easy at all. As we chatted a little about the deer we had just seen, we looked down to the bottom of the hill and saw 3 does bedded down in a small thicket trying to stay out of the wind, about 80 yards away. We quickly came up with a plan.

The first thing we did was head west through the trees, which is still part of the ravine. This meant we basically were walking on the side of a steep hill in a foot and a half of snow, which wasn't easy at all, let alone it being about a half mile hike to get through the woods and into the large bean field. Then, we proceeded south on the edge of the bean field until we reached the point where the trees stop and the CRP grasses begin on the very south of the property. At this point, we are on our hands and knees to stay out of sight of the three bedded deer just on the other side of of thicket about waist high dividing the bean field from the CRP.

Posted Image

Here's a diagram of the property, because I am terrible at trying to describe things like this without using a visual. The blue squares are deer locations, the green dots are trees, and the tan dots are CRP grass/thickets. And the stick figure dude is me.

When we reached the spot my cousin thought I would be directly in line with the bedded deer when they stood up, he gave me my final advice.

"Alright, they are just on the other side of this thicket," he whispered. "When you are ready, stand up slowly and be ready to shoot when they stand up."

I asked him about how far of shot would it be, because I wouldn't have time to judge the distance if they stood up quickly and were about to take off. "About 40 yards," he whispered back.

This is just great, I thought. I don't have a 40 yard pin and I have never really practiced that much at that distance. Never the less, I slowly stood up. The deer caught the movement and stood, staring at me. I only had a shot at one and took careful, but quick aim with my 30 yard pin and tried to compensate for the extra ten yards. I was breathing hard from not just the deer in front of me but the hike in the deep snow, and was swaying all over the place. Just as the deer was about to bolt, I shot.

The deer I shot at appeared to bound away carelessly, and I was sure I had missed. Despite this, I followed my cousin to the spot where the deer stood and we looked around a little. We saw nothing blood wise until in the corner of eye I saw something red. A large pool of blood stood there, and blood spatters were all over the snow. He was bleeding badly, and it looked like the Muzzys did their job well. Looking into the neighboring corn field, I saw a brown mass laying in the white snow about 30 yards away.

Upon further inspection, the doe turned out to be a small button buck, which is fine with me. My first archery kill was a buck and my first buck ever, albeit a small buck that technically counts as an anterless deer here in MN, but it's still a buck. High fiving between my guide and I commenced. We brought the deer back to the farm to skin it and let it hang. My arrow destroyed the heart and a bit of lung.

I don't have pictures yet as the're are on my aunt's camera, but when I get there I will be sure to post them. It is just funny to me that the hunt played out almost exactly like a hunt would on TV. A missed oppotunity which leads to a spot and stalk conclusion. Also the fact that I killed a deer in almost complete bright green snowmobiling garb, besides the helmet makes me laugh. Who says you need fancy camo? The cold, nasty weather and strong winds played in our favor, as the deer were bedded down trying to stay out of the wind, which also helped us get into position silently. Late season hunts are awesome.

On a side note, my cousin is planning on quiting his job at 3M in CA next year and trying his hand being an Elk guide for an outfitter in Colorado. He is a great guide, as evidenced by this hunt. He put me right on the deer and knew exactly how to give me the best opportunity at getting one.
-Eric

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 26 December 2009 - 03:58 AM

Good job, my friend. Let me know how the tenderloins taste.:)-

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 07:17 AM

Good job Eric.
Nice Christmas present.
Good story to go along with it. Posted Image Hey Jer, can we get a neon green suit to go with the hunter dude? LOL

#4 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 12:53 PM

Good job Eric.
Nice Christmas present.
Good story to go along with it. Posted Image Hey Jer, can we get a neon green suit to go with the hunter dude? LOL

Great hunt Run ! Congrats!!!

Posted Image

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:03 PM

Congrats Eric. Posted Image you enjoy that well earned tenderloin. Posted Image

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 03:34 PM

It just goes to show that not all needs to be perfect for success. Way to go Eric. Congratulations on the hunt and the story.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:46 PM

Congratulations Eric. I love the map.

#8 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:28 PM

Way to go bud....( two thumbs up )
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#9 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:26 PM

Posted Image Way to go Eric! Tenderloins! It's what's for dinner! Posted Image Posted Image

#10 steelrain202

steelrain202

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 02:01 PM

sounds like a great time my friend
Only the dead know the end of war.- Plato

#11 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 03:47 PM

Congrats buddy!

BC

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#12 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:25 AM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image great story, great hunt, great Christmas! Thanks for sharing it.Posted Image
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#13 Fossil

Fossil

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and rockhounding..............

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:06 PM

Cool beans"Bud"................Posted Image
Posted Image

God,family and friends-What else is there..................

#14 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:27 AM

Great story and map Eric. I also don't buy that fancy wancy scent free camo expensive stuff. I hunt the wind and am always very successful. Would love to see the pics of you green camo outfit also.Posted Image

Steve

#15 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:45 PM

Finally got the pics from aunt's camera. Sorry for the wait.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I know it's just a small button buck, but to me it's still a trophy.

Edited by runNgun, 09 January 2010 - 12:50 PM.

-Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users