#1 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:48 PM

I recieved a really good deal on a new CVA Wolf today. Does anyone know any loads to start out with that others have been succesful with? The manual suggests Powerbelts, which I know is because CVA and Powerbelt have a partnership, but I've read about how poorly these can shoot and bring down animals. Any help would be appreciated.
-Eric

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:48 PM

I recieved a really good deal on a new CVA Wolf today. Does anyone know any loads to start out with that others have been succesful with? The manual suggests Powerbelts, which I know is because CVA and Powerbelt have a partnership, but I've read about how poorly these can shoot and bring down animals. Any help would be appreciated.

The Wolf is a good rifle. I helped a person sight one in once. His was a New Frontier, but it was the same thing as a Wolf. It shot 80 grains of Pyrodex RS and a 245 grain powerbelt, it also shot 240 grain XTPs, and he told me he later changed over to 250 grain Shockwaves with 80 grains. As for power, he told me the first deer he shot at about 30 yards with a powerbelt, never took a step after being shot.

Be sure and swab between shots and try some of the local brands of projectiles. Start about 80 grains of loose powder and see what happens. Keep us posted also.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:00 AM

Congrats on the new rifle Eric. As Cayugad said, the Wolf is a fairly good rifle. They are very accurate too. Jason and I have a CVA Optima 209, Optima Pro, and an Optima Elite in the CVA breakopen line. We have good luck shooting two fifty grain pellets of 777, me pushing a Thompson Center 250 gr Spire Point Shock Wave, Jason shooting the Powerbelt Platnums. They also shoot well with the Shock Wave Hollow Points too. I think you'll have a lot of fun with your Wolf. A friend of Jason's just got a new Optima .50 and Power Belts shoot really well out of it too. Personally I like the Shock Waves better but I think you'll find the Wolf will shoot well with a variety of bullets. Let us know how you like it. Posted Image

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:15 PM

The Wolf is a no frills hunting gun. I do not have any experience with one but if you load it up with about 80 grains of powder it should work real well. I once killed a full grown doe in Kansas with a traditions gun and a powerbelt bullet using only 60 grains of black powder and the shot was at over 83 steps and I got a passthrough. It did not look like the powerbelt opened up any but when both lungs are hit it will not go far. From what I have read, powerbelts if driven too hard may come apart and not get full pass through shots. Powerbelts in any of my other guns fit too loose for me to consider them for hunting.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:55 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. I bought a TC branded muzzleloader starter's kit on sale at Wal-Mart that included some Super Glide Shockwaves that I'll probably try out. The only problem is that they were not labeled on the package saying what grain they are, so I either have twenty 250 or 300 grain bullets.

As far as powder goes, is there really any huge difference between the different brands of pellets? Should I even shoot pellets for the convienance, or should I use loose powder to dial an exact amount of powder that shoots the best?

As far as 209 primers are there any better than the others? or is there no real difference between them? Are there any accessories that you guys can't live without and I should look into for shooting or hunting?
-Eric

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 05:56 PM

I really don't have a preferance on primers but I like the 777 pellets. Our Optimas shoot well with the two pellets = 100 gr load. The 777 has no sulpher smell , cleans up easy with water, leaves less residue between shots and using pellets I get a true 100 gr load every time. I kinda like that. No need for a powder measure. Your Wolf is a lot like the basic Optima. Speed loaders aren't a must but they sure are handy. They'll hold up to 3 pellets, 150 grs, and a bullet or sabot ready to feed down the barrel. Both PowerBelt and T/C make them that hold 3 shots and four 209 primers. The PowerBelt one is a couple dollars cheaper and is made so it can be attatched to a rifle sling, your belt or pack straps. Be sure to keep a good breechplug lubricant on your breeches threads. If not it will seize up on you and you'll play the devil ever getting it out again. I just realised this myself but the rod for your breech plug wrench will screw into the back end of your ram rod giving you more reach when cleaning your rifle. CVA ram rods otherwise tend to be a tad short for that job. A small tackle box is great to carry your shooting and cleaning supplies in too. Have fun buddy. Posted Image

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 06:16 PM

As I said in another forum. Pellets are convenient. Loose powder is about half the cost but pellets are convenient. Loose powder can be measured in any amount you desire but pellets are convenient. Did I mention pellets are convenient. I prefer to shoot twice as much for the money and am not an advocate of the really big magnum loads which have a magnum kick to them. As far as pellets go they are all the same power although you have to load the pyrodex pellets black base down.

I can't answer about the difference in 209 primers as I do not use them. Even my inline, a Knight Bighorn, uses either the #11 cap or by changing nipples can shoot the musket cap.

Now for accessories, what do you need to get started. First of course you need powder, primers and bullets and sabots. Your ramrod that comes with the rifle extends out a few inches to go all the way down the barrel and retracts for storage. You also need a supply of cleaning patches and some cleaning supplies. I use hot soapy water first and hot water rinse then clean with modern gun solvents and oil the barrel for storage. If your ramrod does not have a patch jag which is almost bore size and has rings around it for gripping the patch you need one of these. You will also need some anti sieze grease for the breech plug. Do not tighten the breech plug real tight, finger tight is good enough. When I go hunting I use quick loads with powder and ball for extra shots, a short starter which if you do not have one you can make with a square of wood about 1 1/2 inches square and a short 4 - 6 inch dowel rod slightly smaller than the bore. That would be enough to get you started. I actually have a plastic tool box loaded with accessories and even some in a file drawer. Of course I routinely use a flintlock, and an inline so have accessories for each.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:23 PM

Even with the ramrod extensions screwed all the way out, all of or CVA Optima factory rods are still a tad short when swabbing the full length of the bore. I'm betting the Wolf is no differant. They made it where that wrench rod screws into the back end of the ramrod for a reason and I'd say that's why. It really makes a world of differance in getting the job done easily. Try reaching the length of the bore with and without it and you'll quickly see what I mean. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users