Photo

Single Pin Or Multiple Pin Sights

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Single Pin Or Multiple Pin Sights (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Which sight do you use

1. single pin (2 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

2. 2 pins (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 3 pins (4 votes [17.39%])

Percentage of vote: 17.39%

4. 4 pins (2 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

5. 5 pins (9 votes [39.13%])

Percentage of vote: 39.13%

6. 7 pins (3 votes [13.04%])

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

7. single pin with swing adjustment on yardage (3 votes [13.04%])

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:48 AM

What sight do you use? What configuration do you find easiest to sight in with vertical or horizontal pins? How many pins do you have and do you practice with all of them?

It's almost the end of hunting season and now might be the best time to rethink any changes to your hunting equipment so by next season your ready to go.

Sights came to mind from an earlier post and I know we have talked about this before and I wondered if anyone esle was asking this question about changing their sights on their bow this year. I was. My eyes are still pretty good. I notice how a single pin does present a cleaner sight window or picture, make it easier to focus on a spot. I might be in the market for a single pin swing type sight for the coming year because of this cleaner sight window.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 28 December 2009 - 01:45 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:28 PM

I use three pins now, but I'm probably going to upgrade to a 4-5 pin sight sometime in the future. The sight I have now is a cheap $25 Tru-Glo that is really only good in broad daylight and as soon as it starts to get dark the pins get really hard to see.
-Eric

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:08 PM

I've hunted with one, two, three, five, six and a single pin slider. I definitely liked the sight picture of the singles. In theory, the HHA slider I have is a nice idea. In practice, I never once had time to move the pin while hunting. (Not without the yardage having changed before setting it and drawing anyway as critters tend to move. LOL) The thought that I would be able to range the critter and then dial in was just not a reality in my experience(s). For folks who hunt in areas where a 30 yard shot is going to be about their max anyway, they would likely love a single pin. (Sight in at 25 and just be done with it.) The slider would maybe give them a little something extra to toy with when practicing or if they ever did come across the rare incredibly still critter at a distance.

I'm shooting five pins right now, by the way. Been thinking of putting the HHA onto a ground blind bow for turkey. (I don't shoot the Bullheads farther than 30 yards.) Just my thoughts/experience.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:32 PM

I've hunted with one, two, three, five, six and a single pin slider. I definitely liked the sight picture of the singles. In theory, the HHA slider I have is a nice idea. In practice, I never once had time to move the pin while hunting. (Not without the yardage having changed before setting it and drawing anyway as critters tend to move. LOL) The thought that I would be able to range the critter and then dial in was just not a reality in my experience(s). For folks who hunt in areas where a 30 yard shot is going to be about their max anyway, they would likely love a single pin. (Sight in at 25 and just be done with it.) The slider would maybe give them a little something extra to toy with when practicing or if they ever did come across the rare incredibly still critter at a distance.

I'm shooting five pins right now, by the way. Been thinking of putting the HHA onto a ground blind bow for turkey. (I don't shoot the Bullheads farther than 30 yards.) Just my thoughts/experience.

Hey Jer. glad you brought that point up about having the time to adjust the single pin swing sight to the proper yardage while hunting a live animal. That's a very good point. That's never happen yet for me either, well maybe it has but for the most part it happens fast. It's almost happens so darn fast I wouldn't have time to mess with adjusting it. I try to range different things around me ahead of time like bait( LOL), stumps and trees with a range finder once I'm in my treestand and or blind. I never have time to actually range the animal, I go by what I know already is the yardage from ranging it before hand. For instance, the deer I killed earlier I had no time to range it. I estimated it and knew my bow shot so flat I wasn't going to be very off if I missed to yardage by a couple of yards. I didn't have time to change a single pin swing sight. Same thing happened on the fallow deer just happened so quick.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 28 December 2009 - 08:40 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:31 AM

I use a single pin slider, I have used sights with as many as 5 pins, I decided to use the single pin after deciding to never shoot at an animal that was more than 30yds, Not an ethical question for me as much as a personal challenge issue, I enjoy getting close. As Jere said, sight in at 25, good out to 30, no moving the sight, and a really good clean sight picture. It works for me because of a rangefinder,and a fairly fast bow. I set up and range trees out to 30yds, anything inside those trees bleeds to death. I also like using it on the 3D course.

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:16 AM

I use a single pin slider, I have used sights with as many as 5 pins, I decided to use the single pin after deciding to never shoot at an animal that was more than 30yds, Not an ethical question for me as much as a personal challenge issue, I enjoy getting close. As Jere said, sight in at 25, good out to 30, no moving the sight, and a really good clean sight picture. It works for me because of a rangefinder,and a fairly fast bow. I set up and range trees out to 30yds, anything inside those trees bleeds to death. I also like using it on the 3D course.

Mudduck I was wanting to see what your take is on this subject. I knew or thought I remembered you used the single pin sight. Thanks for pointing that simple but good advice on hunting with it. Maybe in March you can give me a few minutes on setup if I go ahead and put one on by then.

A good sight is well worth the money especially one you can really micro adjust your windage and yardage and I like it to be tool-less so if necessary change it in between shots while practicing.

#7 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:45 AM

Posted Image

#8 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:51 AM

Posted Image

Now that's what I'm talking about when you have a clear sight picture or window! Thanks Jeff!

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:43 PM

When I shot competitavely I always shot a single pin on a sliding rail. That was about all there was for quite a while. I have no idea how many thousand arrows I shot both inside and outside with that set up. My bro-in-law had me try something new when it came in. He loaned me a multiple sight pin set up one year and I practiced with it till season. One evening I had a really respectable buck appear at 25 yds broadside. Guess I got a little rattled and drew and all I saw was this profusion of pins and at that moment could not remember what any of them represented. Of course the arrow sailed right over the heart/lung area and over its back. Needless to say that sight came off that night and my single pin went back on. Never saw that buck again.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#10 PA SILVERBACK

PA SILVERBACK

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Archery Hunting, Anything with the Kids,Hunting with the Wife, Harleys, Anything Outdoors..

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:10 PM

Spott Hogg...SDP Real DealPosted Image
A mans Character is a sign of His Destiny

#11 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:50 PM

I grew up shooting instinctively, no pins at all, but I have a Hoyt Pro recurve with a single pin that I shoot quite well. When I shot compounds though I used 4 pins set for 10,20,30,and 40 yards. Now that I have to use an xbow I have a Simmons fixed power pistol scope on it so it's like going back to a single pin. Now Jason is an awesome bow shot, and though he has used many high dollar sights, he now has me looking for a vintage set of the old brass pins. He believes, and I tend to agree, that you just can't beat them for simplicity and reliability. He likes either 3 or 4 pins.

Edited by Spirithawk, 13 January 2010 - 02:52 PM.

#12 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:05 AM

Hey Norm I may have some of those pins----somewhere. I'll look and see.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#13 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:43 AM

Hey Norm I may have some of those pins----somewhere. I'll look and see.

Thanks Paul. That would really make Jason's day. Posted Image

#14 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:07 PM

I shoot a five-pin sight, with the pins set at 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 yards.

Single-pin sights do give you a nice, clutter free sight picture. However, most of my stands, especially food plots or field edges offer several shot opportunities at several distances. I never want to have to mess around with sliding my sight pin while on stand.

#15 ricfirefighter

ricfirefighter

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:52 PM

I grew up shooting instinctively, no pins at all, but I have a Hoyt Pro recurve with a single pin that I shoot quite well. When I shot compounds though I used 4 pins set for 10,20,30,and 40 yards. Now that I have to use an xbow I have a Simmons fixed power pistol scope on it so it's like going back to a single pin. Now Jason is an awesome bow shot, and though he has used many high dollar sights, he now has me looking for a vintage set of the old brass pins. He believes, and I tend to agree, that you just can't beat them for simplicity and reliability. He likes either 3 or 4 pins.

pretty sure i got a couple sitting around

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users