Photo

Single Pin Or Multiple Pin Sights

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Single Pin Or Multiple Pin Sights (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Which sight do you use

1. single pin (2 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

2. 2 pins (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 3 pins (4 votes [17.39%])

Percentage of vote: 17.39%

4. 4 pins (2 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

5. 5 pins (9 votes [39.13%])

Percentage of vote: 39.13%

6. 7 pins (3 votes [13.04%])

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

7. single pin with swing adjustment on yardage (3 votes [13.04%])

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 ElevenSpot

ElevenSpot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Eat breathe and sleep bow hunting whitetails.

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:57 PM

All who have posted do bring up very go points about different pin configurations. I too have used both kinds quite a lot. This past season I changed over to a single pin adjustable sight. Vital gear with pin coming out of the bottom. I like that single pin because i am able to see more of my target while im shooting. I does adjust out to 85 yards but i will never shoot at a deer at that distance I only shoot at that distance to control my sight better. At that yardage i can tell where my for is getting bad if im tired. I slowly move my target in after 10 - 20 shots at 5 yard increments. So by the time im in at 40 yards i have put many arrows down range and the 40 yard shot feels like im really close.

#17 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:12 AM

All who have posted do bring up very go points about different pin configurations. I too have used both kinds quite a lot. This past season I changed over to a single pin adjustable sight. Vital gear with pin coming out of the bottom. I like that single pin because i am able to see more of my target while im shooting. I does adjust out to 85 yards but i will never shoot at a deer at that distance I only shoot at that distance to control my sight better. At that yardage i can tell where my for is getting bad if im tired. I slowly move my target in after 10 - 20 shots at 5 yard increments. So by the time im in at 40 yards i have put many arrows down range and the 40 yard shot feels like im really close.

Tim that brings up another topic, Practice regiments with all sorts of questions one can ask to themselves because really it a one on one thing playing against your best and worst shot, not for from playing golf.

Questions like how many arrows do you shoot in one practice session, at what ranges does your practice entail as in yardage, and how often do you practice your shooting with a bow, all the while trying to be repeatably consistent while focusing on improving your form so when hunting you really don't think about it - it goes into action from all the practice session before this. Not to unlike what the athletes did at the Winter Olympics from practice builds memory both mentally and physically so when your in the game you're ready to play.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#18 Micky

Micky

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:44 AM

I use a five pin sight. The longest shot that I have ever taken at an animal has been under 25 yards. I do practice out to 50 yards all of the time. Somedays I actually shoot better at 50 than I do at 30. Go figure.

When I go elk hunting, I do practice out to 60 yards. I do not think that I would shoot at an elk past 40-45 yards. But, the practice sure helps. Anyway, I set my pins at 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60 yards. Been doing that for years and it has worked well for me.

#19 David Clayton Harrison

David Clayton Harrison

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:God, archery and hunting, and family

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:39 AM

Pins for hunting is a good idea in my opinion. For competition, Single Slider is a good Idea, its just my opinion though. Posted Image

I have a 7pin Spot Hogg-it 7pin sight and it is wrapped. I really like it alot, the pins are 019 size. The pins will be set up 20-80 yards. I wish the last 4 pins, the ones that are 50, 60, 70, and 80 were 010 size, but there not, maybe next year I will have the last 4 pins changed out to 010 size. I am going to be practicing out to 80 yards this spring and summer with my Dxt. I hope to get a competition bow next, and If I do , I will put a sure-loc slider pin with scope and only one pin on it for competitions. I really want a Z7 bow also. I don't know for sure if my next bow will be a Z7, or competition bow, because I still love my Dxt, and a Z7 is better, but very similar to my Dxt, and not a hudge upgrade from a Dxt, so any way, back to the subject, pins for hunting, single pin for competitions and 3D's is the route I'm headed.

Edited by David Clayton Harrison, 16 March 2010 - 02:48 AM.

#20 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:32 PM

I found out something about pin sizes here recently. That is -- not all pins are equal. One manufacturer's .029 pin maybe smaller or larger than the next manufacturer's pin in that size. Because the processing of the pins they have to connect the fiber to the pin and then how much of the burning/melting happens at the end of it or how big the end ball on the fiber optics gets to be to stay in the pin. That can change the size or the shooter view of it. The bigger the ball the bigger the fiber optics can appear. I read a year ago or more now that the Spot Hogg sights pin sizes where actually larger than what they were advertised at, for instance the .019 was more like a .029 and so on. When I first read this I already owned their sight and I really didn't pickup the article and read it's entirety. My Spot Hogg sight is in a .019 fiber optics/pins and they would produce a glare and hide the target in most situations. I was saying it was my older eyes not knowing any different. To me the Spot Hogg sights are top flight. I didn't realize how off sized the fiber optics where till recently. I bought another multi-pin sight by Tru-Ball Axcel Armortech HD and bought the .019 pins. I have noticed immediately an amazing amount of difference from the Spot Hogg. The difference being reduced pin flaring and improved clarity. I can now see the small one inch target at twenty yards behind the pin and the same is true out to forty yards. Here I thought it was my eye sight creating this but now seeing the difference in size I now have a difference in criteria when looking at a bow sight.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 18 March 2010 - 07:40 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#21 Straightedge

Straightedge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Early American History, Archery and Bowhunting, Faith and Family

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:09 PM

Four pin Copper John Dead Nuts here. I would be interested in adding an additional pin on the next site. Not really for hunting but for practicing. Right now I have a 20, 30, 40, and 50 yard pin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users