• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 06:15 AM

Posted Image ....word has trickled in that Paul & Eric are heading out at dawn to take up a blood trail from some action encountered late yesterday. This morning its 11 degrees here with 30mph+ winds....hope they're bundled up & have success. Eric didn't share any details yet !Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:10 AM

Best of luck to them! A trick I use to stay warm this time of year is to borrow my wifes therma care menstral heat pads and place them on my shirt over my kidneys (works better then the back pads that slide around). THey're good for 6 hrs in this weather.

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:45 AM

Hopefully in all that snow y'all have the trail should be visable and hopefully posted blood red. Posted Image On the other hand it will be a work out and hope they don't get hurt hauling what ever out in that cold.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 06:02 PM

Hopefully in all that snow y'all have the trail should be visable and hopefully posted blood red. Posted Image On the other hand it will be a work out and hope they don't get hurt hauling what ever out in that cold.

Actually Rowdy, the ground was bare yesterday then we had a light snowfall late last night after the hunters marked the trail so this new snow was a huge setback. Paul can post the day's adventure as soon as he gets some much needed rest.
Posted Image

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:04 PM

Eric got a shot late yesterday afternoon. The weather was cold and windy. There was a little hard snow here and there but the rest of the ground was bare of snow. We checked the ground real careful at the shot location but other than tracks no sign of a hit. Eric said the deer was running odd so he knew he had hit it. The trail was fairly easy to follow once we found a spot of blood. We tracked the deer for about 200 or so yards with the blood trail getting better all the time. Now folks where we were tracking this deer is in an old clearcut with old logs stumps and many new saplings that are now grown up to about 15 feet or so. It has logging trails and more recent 4 wheeler trails running all over the place. At this point we did not want to push the deer and it is getting late and we are over a mile of very rough, steep terrain to go to get back to the truck. We tied my hanky, well used, to a tree at the spot we quit vowing to get back there early to continue.

This morning greeted us with very cold 11 degree temps and over a 30 mph wind. OUCH. Also to our dismay it had snowed over half an inch overnight. We drove up the near side of the ridge to about 150 - 175 yds of the top. I decided to go as light as possible so left my muzzleloader and supplies in the truck. We only got about 75 yds from the truck and a doe jumped up and struggled up the ridge dragging her one front leg. Eric said "I am going to shoot her to put her out of her misery. He fired but missed her and she went to the top and turned the way we were going anyway so we trailed her jumping her once but no shot. We trailed her all the way to the hollow we had to cross to get to his other deer. We were on the south side of the ridge and protected from most of the wind but when we crossed over the top we were greeted by that bone chilling wind in our faces. We went to the spot of the hit but with just that little bit of snow we could not even follow our own tracks. We thought we could walk to where the hanky was tied to the tree but with so many tracks and trails we made a big circle but did not find the hanky. We did finally go to the edge of the clearcut and backtracked from where we walked out last night. In no time we were at the hanky but could not follow the trail due to the new snow and some recent deer tracks that walked on top of yesterdays tracks. The new snow totally covered up any blood.

We then headed in the general direction the deer had taken and walked several hundred yards. With all the litter on the ground and treetops all over that had come down in an October snow storm the deer could have been anywhere. We then dropped down a ways and walked back at the lower level but the snow was just enough to cover up all sign. Our spirits were just about as low as the temperature. After several hours in that awful wind we had to admit defeat. I hate to stop trailing a deer but in this case we just had nothing to go on that we had not tried. My glasses had ice on their lower edges, my lungs felt like I had been snorting gasoline and my back hurt and my legs were beginning to cramp up. At this time we still had to crawl from the bottom to the top of the ridge at just about the steepest part. When we got to the top we again took up the trail of the deer we had seen earlier. We trailed her for about 300 more yards till I was just about played out. She had turned and was heading back up the ridge toward the top. In all that time she had not fell or layed down. This is one of the very few times that we just had to admit defeat and returned back to the truck with nothing but a broken spirit, cold numbed bodies and bone tired to boot.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 05:34 PM

That happens. Sometimes it is just the draw of the cards. There are so many places you can hit a deer, draw a little blood but not really put a killing shot in to them. We tracked one once in the forest for over four miles. And never did catch up to it. My friend shot at this buck on a dead run, we found blood, but that buck never stopped running.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:20 PM

I know what you mean. Eric and I both know that it does happen. We pride ourselves in our ability to ferret out the trail but when it gets covered by snow and more recent deer tracks plus there were 3 other deer with the one that was hit. Our dumb move was being that far from the truck without flashlights. If we had lights with us I would have sat down and waited for a half hour or so and continued the search Monday evening. Had we been sure the snow was coming we would have done the wait even without lights. His shot was a broadside standing shot at about maybe 50 yds and he felt good about the shot. He uses a prb and if it does not hit bone the hole is 50 going in and about the same coming out. We are going to try some conicals in his Lyman to see if they are any good in the accuracy department.

#8 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:53 AM

In Wisconsin we are supposed to make every effort to recover wounded game. One year a friend of mine came to me and said his Dad shot a monster buck, with an arrow, through the heart of course, but the deer ran off. I told him... through the heart it should not have went far. He then said his Dad and three others tracked it but lost it. They also walked around for it all night and morning but could not find it. His son asked if I wanted to try.

I telephoned the DNR and asked them if it was legal to track a deer with a dog? No, I was told. Dogs can not be used for hunting deer. So I told them, even if I were unarmed and only trying to find a wounded deer. Again I was told NO!. Seemed silly to waste a deer like that I told them, but they would have no part of a dog tracking a deer. You see, I had a black Labrador Retriever that if you put on a blood trail, he'd scent it down. I then thanked the DNR and told them I did not agree with their position. So before I hung up I asked, what if I were grouse hunting (since it was grouse season) with my dog and came across a wounded deer, what should I do. They told me to let it lay and call them with the location. I told them thanks a lot.

I took my double barrel shotgun, and dog and went grouse hunting that day. Posted Image Never seen a bird but the dog did find a 10 point buck, shot through the liver, that after field dressed went 239 pounds. Some hunters Posted Image friends just happened to come by, said they were looking for their deer. I told them were to find it. Told them I would take my dog and leave since there did not seem to be any grouse in the area. Posted Image They told me that dog looked like he needed a steak. That old dog used to go grouse hunting from time to time for others.... He was a good bird dog.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:55 PM

Smart move. I am not sure if a dog can be used to find a dead deer in PA or not. When I wore a younger mans clothes and not so thick glasses I actually gained a bit of a reputation for being able to ferret out a trail. A number of times I was called to come and see if I could find a hit deer. As you were told the story was always either a heart shot or a double lung hit. I have hit enough deer in those places to know if a deer was actually hit in those spots 1. It will not go far and 2. the blood trail most likely will be very heavy even if it ran hard after the hit. Sometimes I did find the deer and sometimes after trailing for 5 or 6 hours and at least a mile we gave up and on several occasions the trail led to a gut pile. One of those gut piles was from a deer that I hit twice with an arrow. It was after dark and the trail just stopped at a bloody bed. I looked around and there was a man standing about 30 yds away. I went to him and asked which way the deer went and he denied even seeing a deer but admitted being there all evening. I was about to ask what he was doing out there in the dark but thought the better of it. The next day my bro-in-law and I went back and about 50 yds away was a gut pile. It turned out the guy was my bro-in-laws next door neighbor who just happened to have a deer head sporting a 5 point rack in his garage. My immediate thought was to confront him but then reason took over and I could not prove that the deer was dead and he claimed it or he actually shot it. I just do not abide with liars so have remained removed from that fellow to this day.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 04 January 2010 - 05:59 PM.

#10 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:02 PM

I know how you guys feel Paul. I arrowed a doe earlier this season and despite a long, and very good blood trail, Jason and I never did find that doe. You gave it your best bud. That's all anyone could ask.

#11 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:11 PM

Thank you Norm. In our heads we know we did everything we could. But in our spirits we keep going over everything looking for the possibility of something that we missed or failed to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users