#1 elkhunter40

elkhunter40

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:12 PM

We got back home at 1:00am today,

On the morning of the 28th we drove out to the land that we hunt, we had a herd of elk ran out in front of us as we drove in, the fog was too thick to get off any shots. When on top of the hill that over looks the Valley that we hunt, this land is all open with rolling hills and no trees at all. The fog was too thick to see any thing, from the hill you can see for miles all around but not on this morning. Paul, Amy, Josh and I drove down to the bottom of the Valley, Paul and I got out and started walking. Paul had it with the walking in the deep snow he went back to the truck, I kept on walking and walking is what I did.

I did see a group of elk (30or40) jump over the fence on to private land a half mile ahead of me, so I kept on walking. I started walking on a trail that a large group of elk had packed down to the ground through the snow, so I kept on walking.

I came around a small hill and ran into a big herd of elk, 400 to 500 elk that was bedded down. When I seen them they also seen me, they got up ready to run. I picked out a cow that was a way from the group in the back; I took a long shot 400+ yards, and missed. I turned to the front of the group and one big cow was ready to run, I shot at her and that sent the whole herd running away from me in a cloud of snow dust. I thought I had missed my chance to drop my cow, as the herd ran over a small hill, some of elk started to slow down and look back. As I was on there trail one of the elk bedded down before going over the hill around a 1000 yard away from me.

I had to of hit her with one of my shots. I got within 500 yards, she got up and I shot at her again and missed putting her down. She ran over the hill and I started walking. I found the spot where she bedded down, their was two small spots of blood, the size of a dime. I started walking up over the hill and she was down again around 600 yards out. As I topped the hill she got up, ran another 100 yards, and went down again, I started to walk over to her and she tried to get up again. I hit the ground with the bi pods and sent the last shot to put her down.

As I was field dressing, my cow out the other hunters came to the sounds of my shots and the lead stared to fly, the elk was on the run. I have no idea on how many shots, or hunters were doing the shooting. The elk had been busted up into small groups and running all around me. My group of hunters field dressed and tagged all four of our elk, we could still hear shots ring out as we drove away.

My twin son Josh and daughter Amy came along for the ride, and the experience. Josh and Amy have hunted elk with me before and tagging there own elk and deer from Colorado in the past years. On This trip, Amy wanted to help with the field dressing. She helped with two elk. on next trip out to Colorado they will have there own tags:rolleyes:

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:45 PM

Welcome back Ron. That must be some kind of honey hole you guys and gals have there. Thanks for the story. Say hi to Josh and if Paul is the same one from our Elkatraz trip say hi for me.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:35 PM

Way to go Ron, glad to see your still kicking, and I do think of you every now and again :D.

:clap: Keep up the good work.
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:18 PM

Congrats!! Sounds like an experience I'd enjoy, just seeing that many in herd. The experience in making the hard decision real fast as to shoot the right one and then getting the meat out in deep snow had to be another experience. Glad you brought along some good help.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:37 PM

Posted Image Congrats Ron!
We were just talking about you (good ways only) at our last weekend of deer hunting at the farm. Sure miss hearing from you but its great to read about your hunt!Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:24 AM

Badda bing, badda boom - just like that. Way to go Ron! Glad you weren't stuck in that truck stop the whole time. "Hey" to Josh from us.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#7 Ironranger

Ironranger

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:20 PM

Good for you Ron! Glad to hear you are out there enjoying it!

#8 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:14 AM

Congrats

BC

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#9 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:56 AM

Sounds like a fun hunt....any photos?
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users