7 replies to this topic

#1 VicMc

VicMc

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:39 PM

Yes, no matter how prepared and careful you are ... something can always go awry in a second.

So, here I am the second time hunting in my Summit Viper Goliath tree stand, and I am about 20 feet up. Been a decent day thus far a couple does, but nothing worth taking. Mid day the light rain starts, some sleet, and then more light rain. Did I mention it is cold! and the steel toe boots I have on, because my new Rocky Stalker boots .. the soles fell apart arg, are very cold also! lol At any rate around 5:30pm (30 mins before dark) the rain picks up and I decide to climb down. Well, in Summits great wisdom they use a Footstrap Kit that utilizes a pull strap that has a clamp on it to hold it tight against your boots ... should be fine right? Wrong lol. Although this worked great the day before when there was no rain, today would be a different story. It seems that when the nylon strap gets wet, for some reason the rather weak clamp does not hold at very well, or in my case this day .... doesn't hold at all. Thus, the bottom of my new stand falls away from my feet, yup, leaving me 20 ft up a tree without a bottom to stand on. Funny huh? ummmm nope not for me being disabled, and weighing a hefty 320 plus. lol Ok, what to do, yes, the bottom is tied to the top, but it is tied the way it came from the factory near the rear of the platform, thus hanging about five feet below me, who by the way is sitting on the bar used to climb with. Now, I do not loose my head and panic, that is something I do not do very often. If I did, I would probably not be writing you now. lol. I have my cousin hunting a few hundred yards away, so first I yell nice and loud that I need his help, so he can get up there just in case what I am about to do does not work out well. (unfortunately he never heard me due to the loud rushing water of the creek he was hunting beside) Now, folks I stay in a lot of pain and have gotten pretty stiff over the years, not to mention I am not as young as I used to be, so doing off the wall tree climbing or jumping was not an option. lol So, I hold on the best I can with my left hand (and buttocks :rofl:) and begin to wrap the rope holding the bottom around my right hand and arm until it winds up close enough for my right foot to reach. Being tied to the rear of the stand, (this is a no no lol, tie to the mid section on the front folks) it makes things difficult to reattach to the tree. I was finally able to place my foot on the rear of the stand near the rope and push down hard enough to raise the front up and get it pushed toward the tree. Once close to the tree I let go just enough for it to catch against the tree. Then, I thanked God for his assistance! It was still a bit lower down than I could reach with my feet, but I had to give it a try. Not being sure how well the platform was set against the tree worried me some, but in end it was set enough. I held on and dropped down just enough to set the platform securely. WHEW!! That was fun ... not!!!

Needless to say I climbed down and went to the house. I then put the Summit Viper away until I get proper straps for it. I tell you folks, I truly think Summit should rethink using this type strap, as when it gets wet it seems to be useless.

Went back to my Warstand Hulk the next day, which is a monster tree stand, but has never failed me in the 18 years I have been using it.

Vic

"Good Luck and Good Hunting"

#2 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:39 AM

Scary Stuff Vic!
Glad you're ok. An old saying is " There's only two types of treestand hunters, one's that have fallen...and one's that are going to fall". I lost one of my best friends in such an accident and had a few close calls myself. We stick to ladderstands or portables using strap-on climbing sticks now....like you mentioned, it happens in an instant and there's no time to react.Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:18 AM

Very scary indeed. I do not use any of my lock ons anymore. I have all ladder stands now for that simple reason, plus the fact that I am over 50 and not a youngster that can take those kind of chances. Praise GOD that the outcome was as it was. I have fallen once while setting up a lock on. 15' is a long fall and it wasn't that long ago either. That fall was the decidiing factor in going to all ladder stands. Safety and being able to enjoy life a little longer can't be expressed enough to those of us that hunt from stands that are up there where the deer can't bust us.

Steve

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:58 PM

A perfevt example of why I use ladder stands!Posted Image Hey, just glad kept your wits and you're safe.Posted Image

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:30 PM

You are not the first person on here to have that happen. Probably won't be the last LOL. I use the Summit treestand Viper, smaller version on the Goliath, and they supply a small black bungee cable that attachs across the base in the rear of the base and you use it to secures your foot against the plastic foot straps. The bungee holds pressure so your foot stays in the foot straps when climbing and descending the tree. The green strap with a buckle they include is not for the base section or to be used when climbing but once you hit the height you can use it to secure the seat section to the tree. It is also used to hold the two sections together for packing in and out of the woods. I'd also recommend you to use two umbilical cords between the base and seating part, one in the back toward the tree and another one in the front so if the base does fall you got back up and can set up easier. I have used my Summit climber for years and I don't know how many times and never had a problem.

Glad you're Okay, that had to present one unsettling moment and a real challenge.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 03 January 2010 - 03:32 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#6 VicMc

VicMc

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:21 PM

The stand I have did not come with the plastic stirrups. It came with this setup .. http://www.summitsta....aspx?id=329175 ... note the buckle on the right, that is what let loose allowing the platform to fall. I wish mine had come with the plastic stirrups. Now, I can order the plastic stirrups, which I will before my next time using it. lol

Edited by VicMc, 03 January 2010 - 04:23 PM.

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:03 AM

The stand I have did not come with the plastic stirrups. It came with this setup .. http://www.summitsta....aspx?id=329175 ... note the buckle on the right, that is what let loose allowing the platform to fall. I wish mine had come with the plastic stirrups. Now, I can order the plastic stirrups, which I will before my next time using it. lol

Sorry I assumed you were using this Summit setup. You see the black bungee I referred to in my first post that runs across the back of the boots here that hold your feet into the stirrups/foot straps. I never tried your foot straps but I think they were replaced with this setup with the plastic stirrups. This setup I have not had a problem with ---knock on wood Posted Image or should I say tree.

Posted Image
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#8 VicMc

VicMc

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:02 PM

Sorry I assumed you were using this Summit setup. You see the black bungee I referred to in my first post that runs across the back of the boots here that hold your feet into the stirrups/foot straps. I never tried your foot straps but I think they were replaced with this setup with the plastic stirrups. This setup I have not had a problem with ---knock on wood Posted Image or should I say tree.

Posted Image

No problem,.... yep that is the setup I need. :boone:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users