• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:18 AM

After cutting some firewood this morning I decided to get the Knight Bighorn out and do a little testing. So far all my shooting has been done with a musket cap as ignition. When I cleaned last time I switched to the #11 nipple. I recently bought some 300 gr Hornady XTP bullets to try for Colorado elk. I am taking my muzzleloader as a reserve/primary rifle on the cow elk rifle permit Eric and I were successful in drawing. Well to say I am pleased is a bit of an understatement. My shooting was from 50 yds on the bench. The two to the left were sighters and the three higher and right are the group. I figure that group is about 1/2 inch as the squares are 1 inch. That bighorn just seems to like anything with 80 gr of FF Gooex. The bullet is the Hornady 45 cal 300 gr XTP in a black Harvester crush Rib Sabot. I will be trying this combo with a bit heavier load of powder. These are 80 gr weighed loads.

Posted Image

Here Elky Elky BOOM.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:13 PM

That is some nice shooting there. Are the Hornady XTP's legal in Colorado? Or is this during the modern season, but you are just going to use a muzzleloader?

I have been playing with the White rifle a lot, and really like the idea of using big conical bullets. I took the White rifle out today to shoot.

Today I decided to shoot off the few remaining concals before my next order is made. I had 460 grain from BullShop, some 410 grain Hornady Great Plains Conicals, and some home casted from a .458 405 grain LEE mold. The bullets usually cast out at average weight of 418 grains. I shoot them out of an orange MMP/Knight sabot.

Posted Image

Since Wisconsin muzzle loader season does not allow scopes, I took the Nikon Pro Sport off. Also I like my open sights sighted in around 50 yards, so I moved the bench to the 50 yard station.

It was 74 degrees, overcast, and windy at times. I was shooting off a single Caldwell dead rest bag off the bench. (a rest much like I would use at a deer blind)

After shooting the Goex 3f and noting all the other hits were to the left, I adjusted the rear sight and checked my adjustment with three more of the 460 BullShop Conicals which ended all of them . I was satisfied with the way they hit...Three in the bull is good enough.

That is the .458 405 grain Flat Point that I cast.... You can see a hole in the target next to the snout of the Triple Se7en can. That was shot free hand. I shot a couple of them actually. They are not in any other circle, and I was surprised I was that bad shooting free hand. Looks like I have more practice to do...
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:02 PM

Cayugad My Colorado hunt is a modern rifle hunt. I can use a muzzleloader in about any way I want and without regard to bullet type. As long as it is a 50 cal or larger I should be good to go. All the restrictions are for the muzzleloader only hunts. If this isn't true you can come see me in the local lock-up. I am taking my 7mm mag too.

Man that White seems to like those big old chunks of lead. I still have to shoot those 450 gr conicals that Bill Davis sent me. First I am gonna up the charge on those 300 grainers and see what that does. Then I must shoot a few at 100 yds and fine tune the scope at that range. Aah the joys of retirement.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:25 PM

I was shooting the XTP's out of my Disc rifle with 120 grains of powder but of course that rifle has a 24" barrel. It shoots them good. With my little Wolverine II I've pushed the XTP's as hard as 100 grains and still kept good accuracy. I see no reason why a Bighorn would not do the same.

Also I have been shooting a Hornady 300 grain HP which is a .458 diameter. I like them more then the XTP's because they have a real solid nose on them. I think they would do a good job of holding together in what they hit...

Good luck with the elk. I sure hope you at least get a shot...besides getting one of course.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 MN BP HUNTER

MN BP HUNTER

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:07 PM

CAYUGAD , I HAVE A QUSTION THAT YOU CAN CLEAR UP FOR ME OK YOU ARE SHOOTING A .50 CAL WITH A .458 SABOTED BULLET DOES THE EXTRA .008 ON THE DIA. MAKE IT HARDER TO LOAD OR DOES IT NOT SEEM TO MATER :huh:
I ALWAYS WONDERED HOW THE .458 DIA . CARTDRIGE BULLET WOULD LOAD
IF IT WORKS GOOD I WILL BE LOOKING AT SOME DIFFERANT LOADS
BY THE WAY GOOD SHOOTEN :D

#6 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:08 PM

CAYUGAD  ,  I HAVE A QUSTION  THAT YOU CAN CLEAR UP FOR ME OK YOU ARE SHOOTING A .50 CAL  WITH A .458 SABOTED BULLET DOES THE EXTRA .008  ON THE  DIA. MAKE IT HARDER TO LOAD OR DOES IT NOT SEEM TO MATER  :huh:
I ALWAYS WONDERED HOW THE .458 DIA .  CARTDRIGE BULLET WOULD LOAD
IF IT WORKS GOOD I WILL BE LOOKING AT SOME DIFFERANT LOADS
BY THE WAY GOOD SHOOTEN  :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MMP makes an orange colored .50 caliber sabot which holds a .457-.458 diameter projectile. So originally I started shooting the Remington .457 405 grain copper plated flat points. The same thing you would load in your 45/70 government rifle. I really liked the way they shot in many of my inline rifles so I found LEE mad a mold that casted basically an identical bullet to the Remington except it is pure lead and they average out around 418 grains. So I cast my own, load them in a Knight Sabot, and they load like a dream in my White rifle. I push them under the crown of the rifle with my thumb, no short starter needed, now swabbing, just drive them down to the powder with the ramrod. I do swab about every fifth shot just to maintain the groups....

Another thing about these are, with 100 grains of powder, when that big chunk of lead hits, something is going to be seriously hurt.

#7 MN BP HUNTER

MN BP HUNTER

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 05:28 AM

HAY CAYUGAD THANKS HAVE YOU TRYED THE WHITE BULLETS YET THATS A BIG CHUNK OF LEAD @ 560 GRAINS THEY GO DOWN RANGE GOOD BUT IN MY REMINGTON NOT TO ACCURATE BUT IN MY T/C ENCORE THERE NOT TO BAD
TO ME ITS LIKE SHOOTING A CANNON BALL THROUGH A STRAW I'LL HAVE TO TRY THOSE .458 s :yes: ILL SEE WHAT HAPPENS

#8 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 03:41 PM

HAY CAYUGAD THANKS HAVE YOU TRYED THE WHITE BULLETS YET THATS A BIG CHUNK OF LEAD @ 560 GRAINS THEY GO DOWN RANGE GOOD BUT IN MY REMINGTON  NOT  TO ACCURATE BUT IN MY T/C ENCORE THERE NOT TO BAD
TO ME ITS LIKE SHOOTING A CANNON BALL THROUGH A STRAW I'LL HAVE TO TRY THOSE .458 s  :yes:  ILL SEE WHAT HAPPENS

I've shot them out of my White Ultra Mag and they shot really good. And you're right, that is a big chunk of lead to throw down range.. :D

Edited by cayugad, 21 June 2006 - 03:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users