• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:29 AM

I had a short conversation at work about plinking ammo. It started because I bought a brick of Rem. from wally world. It was all they had in stock so I bought it. Poor performance of course, lots of duds. I typically get cheap kicks with Win. Super X and the guys at work recommended Federal above Winchester in the cheap 500 rd. boxes.

I appologize if I'm beating a dead horse here, but have any of you found good .22 ammo that's readily accessable and nearly as cheap as the 500 rd. brick variety?

Part of the reason I'm asking is that I have been requested to eliminate some feral cats on my sisters property. My bro-on-law says that he can't get close enough to use a shot gun (he admitted to missing with a .410 and .45 pistol) and wants me to try with a .22.

Also, just in case one of you happens to love Rem. ammo and doesn't like my criticism, my rifle is very clean and in good condition.
Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:35 AM

You don't have to worry about me loving Remington .22's. I wouldn't take them if they were free! I strictly use Federals and once in a great while CCI's. In all the years I've used Federals I've had ONE missfire. The cartridge went off with a very feint pop. I unloaded the rifle and checked to find the bullet wedged just a few inches down the bore. I contacted Federal, very politely, and told them what happened. The fellow asked for the lot number off the 50 round box of .22's and my address. Three days later I recieved a 500 round brick of new Federals along with an apology and assurance that the quallity control department would be told to get their buts in gear. All because of just one missfire. I'll garauntee you Remington wouldn't have done that! My advice is to find a brand you like and stick with it.

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:52 AM

Around here there is no such thing as cheap 22lr ammo. A week or so ago I was at a local gun shop and they had 100 round boxes of Remington and Federal for sale for over $22. I do not use Remington ammo either.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:46 PM

That's pretty expensive. I think I paid around $16 for the 550 rd. bonus pack of Rem. at wal-mart. you need the extra 10% to make up for all the junk in there. I think the federals are cheaper around here too. If it isn't illegal, maybe next time I find some, I'll buy the whole lot and pass the savings along to you. Relatively certain though, that there would be some tax law broken by doing so.

Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#5 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:01 PM

I have a Mossberg 702 Plinkster semi-auto that likes the Remington Thunderbolts and rarely get any missfires or jams, unless the rifle starts to get dirty. I know a lot of people have problem with this ammo, but for some reason I don't have any problems running them through my rifle. I first started shooting Winchester Wildcats, but they jammed at least 2-4 times in each 10 round clip.

-Eric

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:49 PM

Here in Branson an average brick of .22's runs around $10. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users