11 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:30 PM

After much looking at various semi autos, such as the Ruger LCP and the Kel Tec, I think I've finally made up my mind. I'm saving for a Sig Sauer Mosquito with either the reverse two tone finish, which I really really like, ( did I mention I like it? Posted Image ) or the digital Winter Camo finish. I know it's only a .22 but that being said it should be very accurate and inexspensive to practice with. Plus, with some of the new, 22's such as CCI's Quick Shock Hypervelocity .22 LR Segmented Hollow Points, I'm betting the Mosquito would rain on any bad guy's parade. I even watched that self defense show on the Outdoor Channel, Best Defense, a while back and they were saying that where guys use to make fun of the small calibers many are now switching to them because of the availabilty of amo, their having practicaly no recoil, and their very good accuracy. Sooooo, anyone ever owned or shot a Sig Mosquito? There's another gun show the 29th and I'll be taking a real hard look at them. I can get one for around $330.00. I'd sure apreciate you guy's thoughts on the Sig Mosquito. Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 06 January 2010 - 10:35 PM.

#2 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:51 PM

I've never had the pleasure to shoot a Sig, but I have held one. And I would have to admit that they are the most perfectly shaped and balanced handgun I have ever held. The grip filled every gap in my hands perfectly which would certainly lead to greater accuracy. Plus the cap. on .22 mag. that big must be what? 30rds or so.

So, that'll be 5 in the head, 10 in the chest at 25 yds. Right?
Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#3 Joe

Joe

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:25 PM

I would not bet my life on a 22. We all know a 22 is deadly with proper shot placement but when you have your gun drawn in a self defense situation shot placement is not a priority. Just my personal opinion.

Edited by Joe, 07 January 2010 - 06:37 PM.

MR300WM

#4 Fossil

Fossil

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and rockhounding..............

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:16 PM

A direct heart shot and they be dead,no matter if its a 22 or 32.................
Posted Image

God,family and friends-What else is there..................

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:31 PM

I would not bet my life on a 22. We all know a 22 is deadly with proper shot placement but when you have your gun drawn in a self defense situation shot placement is not a priority. Just my personal opinion.

I carry a 9mm Luger over-under derringer, for up close and personal, but am looking for something to add to it with a bit more range and accuracy. Range and accuracy being my prime concern. I believe that a shot, with the CCI Quick Shocks fired accurately to the chest or head, should end the fight quicker than one or two shots of a larger caliber, fired inaccurately to the body or limbs, or worse yet, complete misses. To me shot placement is even more important in a self defense situation. If you can't put your shots where you need to, when you need to, then you might as well be throwing rocks blinfolded. I can't remember his exact words but a police officer basically once told me that, " One single shot, fired accurately from a small caliber, is positively more deadly, than .45's sprayed wildly." I'm still looking at Kel Tecs and Ruger LCP's though because concealment is a major factor. My son's Kel Tec .32 auto is moderately accurate but leaves room for improvement. Many of the larger calibers are just too bulky, and unless spending bue coo bucks on one, most are lacking in the accuracy department as well. I'm limited to the $350.00 range. I'm still open to sugestions and another factor that is a must is RELIABILITY. A gun that's prone to jamming is nothing but an exspensive paper weight. Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 07 January 2010 - 07:49 PM.

#6 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:25 AM

Haven't had the pleasure on the Sig, but the wife owns and shoots the Ruger LCP and loves it. Very light, easy to load and shoot, relatively accurate and the ammo isn't all that bad especially if you shop around at the gun shows. Very easy gun to slide in a pants pocket too - carry it myself sometimes. Very easily concealed and sometimes even forget I have it - very different from the Beretta 9m I usually carry.

"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#7 Joe

Joe

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:44 AM

I still stand against a 22 s a self defense weapon. In a life or death situation which is when you can use a deadly weapon, your emotions will be in high gear and then the fact that you may be taking someones life. No one knows weather they can take a life untill the very moment that they have to pull the trigger. This is not ideal shooting conditions and just a little shake in your hands could be the differance between your life and death.
MR300WM

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:09 PM

I still stand against a 22 s a self defense weapon. In a life or death situation which is when you can use a deadly weapon, your emotions will be in high gear and then the fact that you may be taking someones life. No one knows weather they can take a life untill the very moment that they have to pull the trigger. This is not ideal shooting conditions and just a little shake in your hands could be the differance between your life and death.

All the more reason your weapon needs to be as accurate as possible. At a distance, ANY caliber is useless if you can't hit what you'r shooting at. Exspecially when your life depends on it. A .22 might not be ideal but I'd much rather put one where it counts than miss with a larger caliber. As for whether or not you can pull the trigger when needed, that's an question you should have settled before ever even applying for a CCW permit. As for myself, that's a question that was settled in S.E. Asia a long time ago and I still value my life, and the lives of those I care about, as much now as I did then. As I said, I'm still open to sugestions, but it must be affordable, accurate, and reliable no matter what caliber.

Edited by Spirithawk, 08 January 2010 - 06:10 PM.

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:20 PM

As that old song goes if you don't have a 44 shoot em twice with a 22. A ccw that is too heavy or cumbersome just may be left at home while one that is comfortable will most likely be at the ready. There is a whole lot of truth in you don't bring a knife to a gunfight.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#10 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:27 PM

As that old song goes if you don't have a 44 shoot em twice with a 22. A ccw that is too heavy or cumbersome just may be left at home while one that is comfortable will most likely be at the ready. There is a whole lot of truth in you don't bring a knife to a gunfight.

Another good point Paul and one that also figures into my final pick. I have a perfectly good 9mm semi auto but it is just too heavy, and bulky, to carry comfortably and thus usually gets left at home. Another thing to consider is that when one is older, and in poor health, you just can't shoot a heavy caliber comfortably. Considering that what ever I end up buying, I intend to practice considerably with, I want something comfortable to shoot and that won't take my whole pension check to buy ammo for. I'm also considering revolvers because of their reliability which is also a major factor that will figure into my final choice. Many of those required factors are covered nicely by the Sig Mosquito. I've fired a Kel Tec but I want to fire a Sig and a Ruger LCP. I have to say that the Kel Tec impressed me, but as I said before, the accuracy was just so so. I'm already covered up close. I need something that will put them consistantly on target at a moderate distance.

#11 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 09 January 2010 - 02:46 AM

I have put about a 100 rds thru a mosquito this past summer, out to 40 ft. Smooth, relatively accurate in multiple shot mode, no jams with high grade ammo. I and my son shot a number of "bowling pin" tournaments this past summer, involves shooting the pins at 25ft, about 18 inches apart, and timed. 5 pins, fastest time wins. 1st tourney, shot the .45s semis {sig and kimber}and .44{Ruger revolver} About 6 seconds with the autos, 7 with the .44. Didnt win or place. Shot the 2nd tourney with a Ruger .22 semi and a Ruger .22 revolver, 3.4 to 4 seconds to clear the pins with the semi, around 5 with the revolver. 3rd Tourney found us with the .45s again, plus the .22 semi. 3.1-3.7 with the .22, 4.5 to 5.3 with the .45s. A study was done by Salt Lake city police officers. A man could cover 21 ft in about 1.5 seconds. Trained police officers, could draw and shoot 1-2 shots into a target, when prepared. Could a heavy leather jacket stop a .22 hollow point at 40 ft? 1 shot with a .45 or 3 with a .22? 22s are a riot to practice with, cheap shootin for an afternoon, fun/quiet/. Can someone be considered a "threat" at distances past 40ft? If I have the time, I can shoot my .22 at 40ft with a little more accuracy than my .45, However, I may not have the time, and a gut shot with a .45 hollow point would tend to sting a bit more than the same shot with a .22, in my opinion. I'm not an expert, far from it, and a carry gun is a very personal choice. You cant go wrong on any gun that Sig makes

#12 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:49 AM

I have put about a 100 rds thru a mosquito this past summer, out to 40 ft. Smooth, relatively accurate in multiple shot mode, no jams with high grade ammo. I and my son shot a number of "bowling pin" tournaments this past summer, involves shooting the pins at 25ft, about 18 inches apart, and timed. 5 pins, fastest time wins. 1st tourney, shot the .45s semis {sig and kimber}and .44{Ruger revolver} About 6 seconds with the autos, 7 with the .44. Didnt win or place. Shot the 2nd tourney with a Ruger .22 semi and a Ruger .22 revolver, 3.4 to 4 seconds to clear the pins with the semi, around 5 with the revolver. 3rd Tourney found us with the .45s again, plus the .22 semi. 3.1-3.7 with the .22, 4.5 to 5.3 with the .45s. A study was done by Salt Lake city police officers. A man could cover 21 ft in about 1.5 seconds. Trained police officers, could draw and shoot 1-2 shots into a target, when prepared. Could a heavy leather jacket stop a .22 hollow point at 40 ft? 1 shot with a .45 or 3 with a .22? 22s are a riot to practice with, cheap shootin for an afternoon, fun/quiet/. Can someone be considered a "threat" at distances past 40ft? If I have the time, I can shoot my .22 at 40ft with a little more accuracy than my .45, However, I may not have the time, and a gut shot with a .45 hollow point would tend to sting a bit more than the same shot with a .22, in my opinion. I'm not an expert, far from it, and a carry gun is a very personal choice. You cant go wrong on any gun that Sig makes

Thanks bunches Jeff. Some really good info there. Most 9mm's, and up, that I've looked at are just plain bulky. Easy to conceal under a coat in cold weather but hard to conceal when not wearing a coat. I love the concealability of Jason's Kel Tec but really don't know much about a .32. If the bad guy has a weapon too then yes I'd consider him a threat out past 40' . Anymore, every time you turn around you hear on the news about some fool walking into a place and opening fire. (Could a heavy leather jacket stop a .22 hollow point at 40 ft?) I punch holes in a steel burning barrel at that distance, however, I'm really torn on what to get. I like the Sig Mosquito because of it's quality for the price. My money is very limited and, what ever I buy, will have to be it. I mean it will be the weapon I carry for a long long time so I have to choose the best that I can. I know there's a weapon out there that will fit my needs, I just have to find it and I really apreciate all you guy's advice.

Edited by Spirithawk, 09 January 2010 - 11:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users