• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:37 AM

Well, I'm getting a BP rifle and have a few questions for all of you. It's a Traditions Buckstalker, inline, 209, break-open, 24" barrel.

First, I've read some threads praising APP for it's clean shooting and easy clean-up. I was recommended that powder for my cap and ball revolver when I bought it and have never tried anything else. I would like to use the same stuff in my rifle but thought I would ask before, because the other powders in pellet form do seem extremely simple for feild use.

Also, the stuff I use in my revolver is fffg, I haven't recieved the rifle yet(or the owners manual) but assume that the rifle will require ffg.

Finally, I bought some of the 295gr. aerotip powerbelts. I've heard mixed reviews on them. Most of the deer I see are within 50 yds so, I'm hoping the extra weight and mass will be more deadly at that range with less emphasis on accuracy. Where should I start with powder loads?

As always, I appreciate the help.
Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:12 PM

Congrats on your new rifle. Paul didn't really like the APP powder and gave me almost a full jar. I loved it. It shot very clean and I had geat accuracy using it too. At the time I had a Knight MK-85 .54 and I shot 100gr in it. Yes, you'll need the FF. FFF is mainly for pistols. If I were you I'd start out trying 80 to 90 grains in your new rifle. I'm thinking that more than that would do nothing more than just bruise your shoulder and not really completely burn in your short barrel. I'd start out on the low end of the scale and gradually go up untill you find what your particular rifle favors. I'm sure Paul and Cayugad will weigh in on this too and both have a wealth of exsperience and info under their belts. Good luck and let us know how you do.

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:28 PM

JR I am going to let you in on a big secret. All the black powder substitutes were made for the inline rifle. I would not say that you should not try the 3f in your rifle. I tried the APP 2f in a traditions sidelock percussion. That stuff was like river gravel, much larger than I expected 2f to be. I felt it was somewhat underpowered to real black powder by felt recoil and point of impact on the target. In a sidelock I got somewhat spotty ignition also. Maybe the 3f would have worked better. In an inline the ignition is hotter and possibly would give different results than I got. A perceived drawback to APP powder is that it draws moisture in its unfired form and tends to cake up in the can more than other powders. I have also heard from some that it has a shorter shelf life than the other powders due to moisture absorbsion. My inline is not converted to the 209 primer so to make it easy I just use real black powder in all my rifles.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:11 PM

Paul is right. That is the first thing I noticed about the powder he gave me, how extremely coarse it was. I also noticed that it had a tendency to gather moisture. However, it performed very well in my Knight. When I bought my Optima Pro I switched to 777 pellets and, while not as clean burning, they work well in our Optimas. Don't be afraid to try differant powders and loads as no two muzzleloaders shoot the same. Not even identicle ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users