37 replies to this topic

#1 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:55 AM

Santa was VERY kind this year and loaded me with a brand new TC Encore, SS barrel and thumbhole stock. I really like this gun. Now, I'm an archer at heart and bow hunter to my core, but I do love firearms and used to do a fair share of muzzy hunting. Since this is a modern muzzy, in-line and all, I'd like to top it with some good optics, but not break the bank.

I like that Nikon muzzy scope, but it's over three bills. Cabela's has their version and I think it's even made by nikon, best I remember it's only about a hundred. It's the high shock, all that jazz, but I don't think it's got the BDC reticle - is that important?

What say ye all?
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:12 PM

The Bushnell Banner Dusk Till Dawn is a pretty good choice. Jason has one on his Optima 209 and simply loves it. He's had it for about 3 years with no problems at all and it gathers light really well. The black runs about $99.00 and the cammo around $119.00. If you check Ebay you can get some pretty good deals too, but I always worry about knockoffs from Ebay. when I buy something I like to hold it in my hands first.

Jason says he has a Nikon Pro Staff, that's never been on a gun, that he'd sell you for $100. If interested just let me know.

Edited by Spirithawk, 12 January 2010 - 02:14 PM.

#3 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:21 PM

Nice Spirit!

BC

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#4 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 07:39 PM

Spirit, is that a 3x9x40 in matte?
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 07:52 PM

Spirit, is that a 3x9x40 in matte?

Jason said yes it has the matte finish.

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:24 PM

I use a cheap Tasco 3-9 scope on my inline and have not had a problem at all. I do not use the big heavy 150 gr mag loads in my rifle either. One thing to think about is the average distance you are going to shoot. The reason I say that is a scope for a modern rifle is factory adjusted to be parralax free at 100 or possibly 150 yds. Shotgun scopes are usually factory adjusted to be parralax free at 50 or 75 yds. Just about any scope made for a modern hunting rifle will stand up to the recoil of a muzzleloader as well as any shotgun scope. Something else I just thought of is eye relief. Be sure that any scope on a muzzleloader has at least 3 inches of eye relief. The scar can be real purdy but dang they hurt when you get them.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 12 January 2010 - 09:28 PM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:41 AM

Jason says he has a Nikon Pro Staff, that's never been on a gun, that he'd sell you for $100. If interested just let me know.

That is an excellent deal. The Nikon ProStaff in 3-9X40 is usually $150 brand new. I had one on my .22 Magnum before I sold the gun. That scope is by far the best I've used. In fact, it'll probably my scope of choice when I get a few more barrels for my T/C Pro Hunter.

#8 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:10 AM

That is an excellent deal. The Nikon ProStaff in 3-9X40 is usually $150 brand new. I had one on my .22 Magnum before I sold the gun. That scope is by far the best I've used. In fact, it'll probably my scope of choice when I get a few more barrels for my T/C Pro Hunter.

It should be at my house soon - I'll let you guys know how the sight in goes when it gets here.

Thanks!

#9 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:12 PM

Just got back from the PO - got my scope!

I'll be mounting it and sighting in tonight.

Let everyone know how it went tomorrow - can't wait!

Scope looks very nice. Nice package job norm - thanks!

#10 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:53 AM

Picture's worth a thousand words:

Posted Image

#11 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:59 AM

Cool looking setup. If you have any problems reaching the hammer just get an inexpensive hammer extender that clamps to the hammer and extends to the side.

#12 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:09 AM

Cool looking setup. If you have any problems reaching the hammer just get an inexpensive hammer extender that clamps to the hammer and extends to the side.

You are dead-nuts on brother. Done got my eye on one and the swivel extractor as well. Only took one time completely disassembling the gun to clean it to teach me i want a swiveling extractor so i can remove the breech plug.

#13 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:51 AM

I use Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x32mm Shotgun/muzzleloader scopes on three different rifles. For the money they have to be one of the best bargains out there. The 32mm is not a problem, gathers light excellent, and with 7x you can shoot as far out there as you want. That Nikon will not let you down. I also have a Nikon Omega on my Genesis which is an excellent scope. I am sure you are going to love that scope and no BDC is a blessing to me. I never use them.

I was at a gun shop in town years back, looking for a scope for my Knight and my White. The store owner and I were talking. We discussed scopes and what I wanted to do with them. He then told me that while he would like to sell me an expensive scope, he suggested the Nikon Pro Staff. He told me there was not a better value for the money. Well he might very well be right. I do like the scope.

Also that Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn is a great scope. I have one of them on my Thompson Center Black Diamond XR. I was shooting holes into a white paper plate off shooting sticks at 150 yards with it one day. Once I learned the drop of the bullet (where to hold the cross hair) the group was pretty amazing for a $69.99 scope. Very good glass, gathers light great, and has taken a lot of abuse and is still right there.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#14 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:51 PM

A tool for removal of the breech plug is almost a necessity. I don't care if it is removable with your fingers or not after a few shots to get one started is more than my arthritic fingers want to put up with. Of course my only inline is a knight bighorn which although the breech plug is removable it can only be reached by either the removal tool or a socket, long extension and wrench. Not that it is all that tight but the position of the breech plug. With the tool it breaks free easily but without it I would be sunk. Be sure to apply some anti sieze to the threads after cleaning and prior to reinstalling it in the breech. If the breech plug is one of those half a turn to release ones keep an eye on the rubber O rings that seals the breech off.

#15 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:17 AM

I think the quarter-turn breech plug comes with the Pro-Hunter - mine is not the Pro-Hunter. The took they give you with the gun is pretty rinky-dink. I've been using a socket wrench and extension like you said. However, i think Snap-On has a T-Handle set and you can buy them one at a time at NAPA. I'll probably buy a T-Handle for that size and put it in the case for in-field cleaning.

I've been using Vasalene for anti-sieze with my Night and it seemed to work - any problem with continuing to use Vasalene?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users