#17 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:39 AM

thanks Jason.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#18 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:15 AM

Finished dialing in my new Nikon Prostaff yesterday evening - awesome! I love my new TC and love the scope topping it. She's dialed in about an inch high at 100 yds. Can't wait to reach out and touch something. LOL.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#19 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:11 PM

Vasaline hmmm can't give any advice on it as I have only used the regular anti sieze grease. I doubt that vasaline will stiffen up in cold weather so it may work and it is not flammable to my knowledge and it sure would not cause any rust problems. Great to hear you are loving that rifle.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 13 February 2010 - 06:12 PM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#20 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:14 AM

Mark-Grats on an awesome toy!! Posted Image I crossed over "the dark side " several years ago-I'll give our very own "Bone collecter" majority of the credit for that.Lol. I bought 2 other bp's before settling on my T/C encore-unmistakebly the best choice for me. It, ironically has become my favorite thing to hunt with, when not hunting with my bow.I always wondered how effective the BDC blackpowder scopes are...wish more peeps with experience with them could chime in.

If I could make a reccomendation to you...My T/C was an investment for me-I want to take care of it. I notice some of the guys I hunt with have brown residue(rust) when they swath. I have been using "T-17 muzzleloader Bore Seasoning" patches since I bought my encore 5 yrs ago. When I'm done hunting I'll run a patch thru it. I'll run another dry patch thru before I start hunting/shooting to remove it(prolly wouldn't effect point of impact-but never wanted to chance it on long distance shots). My barrel looks just like it did when it was brand new-absolutely no rust , pitting, abnormalities at all. I believe this stuff is what kept my barrel from looking like the others....sorry for the long post, but you got me all excited! Once again-grats on your new toy!

#21 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:16 AM

Oh-btw, thanks for the vaseline idea. Clever, and cheap! I'll be trying it out.

#22 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:24 PM

I think the quarter-turn breech plug comes with the Pro-Hunter - mine is not the Pro-Hunter. The took they give you with the gun is pretty rinky-dink. I've been using a socket wrench and extension like you said. However, i think Snap-On has a T-Handle set and you can buy them one at a time at NAPA. I'll probably buy a T-Handle for that size and put it in the case for in-field cleaning.

I've been using Vasalene for anti-sieze with my Night and it seemed to work - any problem with continuing to use Vasalene?

A couple things come to mind about using Vaseline. It is a petroleum based product and could react to different powder in a bad way. Some powders when exposed to petroleum based products produce a tar like substance that can be a devil to get off. You must have little to no blow back from the breech plug or you might have a real mess. Also weather/temperature extremes might effect it. I use Slick 50 One Grease. Get it at an auto parts store. I got mine from wal mart. The tube I bought over a year ago is hardly dented and it is easy to put on and take off.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#23 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:12 PM

Cayugad brings up some very good points. I kinda thought as much but wasn't too sure. I tend to think he's right. What I use is CVA's Anti Seize Stick. I've used the same stick, it comes in a tube and screws out like a lip stick, on several differant rifles over a 4 year period and, as Cayugad said, I've hardly made a dent in it. What counts the most is that it works well and I've yet to have a problem removing a breech plug. I've used it on two Knight American .50's, a Knight MK-85 .54, CVA Optima 209 .50, Optima Pro .50, and an Optima Elite .50 It's handy, easy to apply and takes up little space in a pocket or with your gear, and if I remember right, I too bought it at Wally World, though it might have been Bass Pro. Trust me, use something you can be sure of because, if you exsperiment and you're wrong, you could have a really serious problem getting that breech plug out. I've heard some pretty sad stories of frozen plugs.

Edited by Spirithawk, 14 February 2010 - 06:16 PM.

#24 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:52 AM

I had one rifle that really gave me fits about a breech plug. My T/C Black Diamond XR just about drove me crazy, and skinned a few knuckles too boot. I got the rifle one afternoon. Cleaned it immediately. I then lubed the breech plug with the supplied T/C anti seize, walked out my back door to my range and shot for the rest of the afternoon.

Came in later to clean the rifle and discovered the breech plug was frozen solid in the rifle. I tried the hot and cold water trick, and was thinking about what else to try. I got a hold of it with the supplied breech plug (worthless) removal tool, and ended up breaking the tool. Skinned knuckles on that little trick. I finally discovered my 7/16th long nose skinny socket fit it. So I got a 8" extension and hooked up to it.

I ended up putting the locking lug part, wrapped in leather into a vice. Then with the long nose Snap On socket (which I knew would not give way) on it, I began to tap the handle of the ratchet with a light hammer and suddenly the breech plug slipped and turned. After that it was easy to get out.

I over do my breech plugs now. I take white Teflon plumbers thread tape and wrap the breech plug, then I smear a light coat of the Slick 50 One Grease on the tape and put the plug in. They come right out at the end of the day, and you peel the tape off the the plug is very clean.

I used to use the CVA Nipple & Breech plug grease. Very good stuff. But they changed their formula and I did not like the change they made. The original stuff was excellent. Plus I was told about the Slick 50 One Grease and bought a tube of that. So when I ran out of the CVA I have been using this Slick 50. With the size of the tube I have I have a life time supply I believe.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#25 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:22 AM

my brother bought a new inline ( he had been shooting flints for years it was his first inline) he did not put the antisieze on the breach plug before shooting it all day and it was stuck like you wouldnt believe we tried everything and how I ended up getting it out was taking a propane torch and heating up the outside of the barrel (not to red just kept going around it until hot to the touch) and it popped right out he learned his lesson real fast

I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#26 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:01 PM

I'll have to try that trick with the teflon tape. Posted Image I've got a brand new tube of T/C Super Lube Anti Seize that was given to Jason. You think it's worth using? I still have a lot of the CVA stuff so in no hurry to try it.

Edited by Spirithawk, 15 February 2010 - 12:02 PM.

#27 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:56 AM

Wow. Lots of food for thought there. I've used vaseline for years on my CVA and then the Knight in-line...never had trouble like you guys have been talking about. Of course, this is my first muzzy with a stainless barrel - maybe that's the difference?

By the way, didn't think of it, but vaseline is indeed flammable - we use is on cotton balls as a cheap fire starter. maybe I should get some of this slick 50 stuff?

#28 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:50 PM

I am currently using a T/C product for lubing the breech and I haven't had any problems. It is called Gorilla Grease-the lube is purple in color and smells pleasant. I would think it wouldn't work too well up north in the middle of winter-I noticed on a "cold" day here in Texas it sets up pretty solid. I'll probably keep going with it for now...."if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

#29 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:58 PM

Mark-that impala in my avatar was a one shot deal @ 400 yrds. The day before I "smoked" a kudu running at 300 yrds with the same rifle-one shot deal...Thompson-encore. I think you're going to love that riflePosted Image . Oh-and Huck was there as my witness.

#30 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:09 PM

I use a white anti sieze lube that I buy locally and it seems to work fine in either cold or warm weather. If it screws into the barrel and can be exposed to burning powder I use anti sieze. As I recall that little plastic cup of anti sieze cost me a couple of dollars and works great on Breech Plugs, Nipple threads, and vent liner threads and with the amount of shooting I do I am only on my second cup of this product. Since the real thing is so cheap I do not plan on experimenting any time soon. It only takes one really stuck breechplug, nipple or ventliner to convince a shooter to use proper items.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users