37 replies to this topic

#31 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:40 PM

I use a white anti sieze lube that I buy locally and it seems to work fine in either cold or warm weather. If it screws into the barrel and can be exposed to burning powder I use anti sieze. As I recall that little plastic cup of anti sieze cost me a couple of dollars and works great on Breech Plugs. Since the real thing is so cheap I do not plan on experimenting any time soon. It only takes one really stuck breechplug, nipple or ventliner to convince a shooter to use proper items.

Exactly Paul! Anti Seize compounds are fairly inexspensive, last a long time and are well worth the relief of knowing that plug will come out when you want it to. Jason and I have gone a long ways towards having the guns that we have been wanting, our muzzleloaders are a big part of that, and I believe it's foolish to try and cut corners in their care and upkeep. They are just too darn exspensive to not use the best products available in caring for them. Besides, I like the peace of mind knowing that they are in peak condition to do the jobs we've bought them to do. A frozen breech plug will ruin your day in a heart beat. I prefer to not take that chance. Posted Image

#32 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:39 PM

some people just use the teflon tape. I personally never trusted just the tape. So I double dip, lube and tape. Stuck breech plugs are no fun.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#33 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:47 PM

It is nice to know that there may be a substitute for anti sieze usable in a pinch but I don't know what that would be. I most always keep a check on such things and the next trip to town I pick up another.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#34 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:09 AM

Mark-that impala in my avatar was a one shot deal @ 400 yrds. The day before I "smoked" a kudu running at 300 yrds with the same rifle-one shot deal...Thompson-encore. I think you're going to love that riflePosted Image . Oh-and Huck was there as my witness.

"Back in the day" it was unthinkable to make those kinds of shots with a muzzle loader - we've certainly come a long way. You're right - i LOVE this gun.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#35 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:15 AM

So I'm hearing that Slick 50 anti seize is a good one and another product simply called "anti seize" is also good...both tested in cold weather with lots of shots. TC also sells their version of anti seize.

Prudence dictates I abandon the vasaline and move to a professional anti seize - I will definitely do that.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#36 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:42 AM

Mark the only time I have to remove my breech plug is to clean my rifle and that is most always done in a warm room. I can think of a couple of instances that you would need to remove the breech plug in a really cold environment but about 99% of the time the rifle can be warmed up. Also when putting the breech plug in the rifle do not get ham fisted and tighten it more than finger tight. That seems to go against what we would think but that is what I do and have always been able to remove my plug pretty easily. Most of the time I use my inline the weather is from downright hot to rather mild temperatures as our main season for muzzleloaders is a flintlock only season. Now that is a whole different hunting experience.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#37 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:00 PM

Right there with you paul.

#38 lonewolf1723

lonewolf1723

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 02:09 PM

Hi. I just bought a Bushnell Trophy XLT 3-9x40 Riflescope with DOA250 rectical in Matte Black from B&H Photo-Video for $128 including shipping. Although I haven't mounted it yet I read some good reviews about it. Their web site is www.bhphotovideo.com in case you want to chek it out. The item number is Bushnell BU39X40TR25Q

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users