11 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:28 PM

I know some of you like to hunt coyotes, and we sure have our fair share around here, so any tips to get a guy started? I've hunted them with Walker hounds before but I was wandering if I could do it using a simple predator call such as a wounded rabbit or something. I could sure use some advice.Posted Image

#2 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:41 PM

I saw three standing in an open field today eating deer remains. Maybe, if you come across some roadkill, you could grab it for bait.

Needless to say, I've never hunted coyote and surely someone else will have better advise. But that's my two cents.

Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#3 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:14 PM

I use a rabbit in distress call, Norm. I have a few of em around, if you need one.Don't squawk too much, or they get wise. Posted Image

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:48 PM

I have actually hunted for yotes using both an electronic call and a mouth call. One hunt at camp Eric and I had one coming till another hunting partner walked up the road the yote was on and it disappeared so fast I was not sure which way it went. I agree that using the same call on multiple hunts at the same location will educate the local dogs in a hurry. Some guys use a decoy to rivit their attention on something other than your exact location. A feather on a string or piece of fishing line works well and is about as cheap as you can get. Oddly enough any coyotes that Eric and I have killed have been incidental kills while hunting for something else. A couple of years ago I was set up for spring turkeys in a field with my decoys out. I had a gobbler answer and it sounded like it was coming. It suddenly just quit and I sat there wondering what I must have said when 5 deer burst out of the woods and ran off like their tails were scalded as I sat there in amazement a coyote burst out of the woods and at full speed ran right up to my decoys. I was so taken back that I forgot to shoot when I had a good chance. When the yote stopped he was behind a big bush and I had no shot and then he left as fast as he came. No I did not raise a turkey the rest of the morning.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 12 January 2010 - 10:01 PM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 19 January 2010 - 04:02 AM

Norm:
Get ahold of Whip...he can help ya out with a ton of info.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#6 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:28 PM

Buy a noisy Poodle. Tie a porkchop to its collar. Stake it out in a clear shooting lane. Wait.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:01 PM

I agree, and if a coyote doesen't show up just shoot the poodle cause they aren't real dogs anyhow.

#8 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:17 PM

I'm going to try my luck with coyotes next weekend. I plan on using my 12 guage with 00 buckshot or rifled slugs and setting up in a small, thick woods. Shots should only be about 40 yards or less in this woods, so my shotgun should work perfect.
-Eric

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:06 PM

Thanks guys. Larry, you and Paul just might have something there.Posted Image Posted Image Thanks Bruce, I'll do that.Posted Image

Eric, good luck buddy. Go get em, hope you score. Jason killed his first yote with a .410. He had a couple squirrels laying next to where he was sitting and the coyote smelled them I guess. Walked right up to Jason. Jason said at first he was afraid to shoot him with just a .410, but the coyote became such a threat he said he became afraid not to shoot it. Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 31 January 2010 - 11:18 PM.

#10 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:15 AM

Well, I'm totally out of my element here, but Case and I will be giving it a go this weekend as well. We've tried a rabbit squeeling tape with a tape player before and never got a look - not one. So we bought a mouth call, but haven't tried it yet.

I was thinking of trying a couple things, tell me what you think:

Turkey decoys with fishing string to move them once in a while and use the distress call with a turkey call periodically.

Also, I thought of tying up a squirrel's tail on a small sapling and moving it with fishing line periodically too.

I'll be using my new TC muzzy topped with my new Nikon Prostaff scope. Posted Image
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#11 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:54 AM

A lot of yote hunters also have a mouse squeeker for when the yote gets close. Good luck and get a bunch of those egg sucking, turkey killing, grouse eating, fawn killing rascals. I shudder when I think about the game commission importing fishers to PA as if we didn't have enough predators. Now what would I do if I met up with one of those. Hmmmm.

#12 JameyK

JameyK

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:31 AM

We hunt alot of yotes around here. Just acouple of tips. Alot of times they will circle around and come up from behind you so wind direction is very important, kill your scent as much as possible. If your gonna be hunting them is close quarters like that then i would definatly rcomend a mouse squeaker. ALot of people think yotes ar pretty dumb, they are not. Camo up alot and really try to find a ridge but try and stay towards the middle of it or they will spot you right away. Be very still, we have glassed them sitting still for upwards of 20 minutes just looking around to see what all the noise is about. We hunt them hard around here and this is just a few things we have learned. Of course Im sure they have been pretty well educated with all the pressure out here. Enough so that the past couple years it seems like most shots are taken at 100yds or more. Anyway hope it hepls a bit. If ya have any question please feel free to message me.
Shootem in the face!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users