• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:34 PM

I know I sort of asked this before but I also asked alot of other stufff at the same time.

I need to know if I can use my FFF powder in my new .5o inline.

The ownersmanual doesn't even make a suggestion. And when I called the customer support

line, the guy answered kinda like he didn't have a clue as to what I was talking about.

I would like to use the powder I already own for my cap and ball just to keep my inventory simple

and because I'm cheap. Neither a good reason if it could be unsafe.

I've heard APP is a little weaker than other powders and kinda thought that FFF would level the feild.

there's a lot of tricky engineering at work with how fast pressure is allowed to build in the barrel before

it explodes. So... Any trials you may have perfomed, or specific knowledge of this science would be appreciated.
Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:15 AM

Jr I use 3f in the barrel of my flintlock. All real black powder is the same thing, just different size granuals. My son uses 80 grains of 3f in his Lyman Deerstalker and I use 90 grains of 3f in my flintlock with good results. I also use real bp in my inline, but use 2f and 80 grains. I like to keep it simple too. Real black powder is still the cheapest of all possible powders I can use but I like to keep it simple too. Guess I am cheap too. Actually I can shoot more for the same money.

In my simple tests of APP I agree that APP is weaker than black powder.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:43 AM

The APP 3f will work excellent in your inline rifles. Measure it as if you were using a 2f Pyrodex RS powder. Although some say cut your charge 10%. You be the judge. I shoot it in my Wolverines. 100 grains of it is plenty. Also, since it is APP, after you load your sabot or conical, be sure to REALLY compress that load. After you feel the sabot seat, give it a little extra. APP likes to be compressed for its best results.You will find a white residue inside, around the muzzle of the rifle sometimes. A simple spit cloth run about six inches in will remove it. This helps in loading. You "technically" do not have to swab when shooting the powder. You be the judge. If you start getting fliers, swab the bore.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:51 PM

Thanks for the info. That'll save me alot of tinkering time I hope. I've got a whole year to get it right though and lets be honest, practicing is the best part of shooting BP.
Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users