• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:07 PM

As stated, I'm cheap, and a tinkerer. I have researched online that some folks highly reccommend using smaller amounts of shotgun powder, 5744, in modern muzzleloaders.

It sounds too good to be true. So is it? It seems reasonable to me that 40 gr loads of less expensive powder would allow me to do alot more shooting. But i'm not about to explode myself based on something I read on the internet.

One guy wrote about how modern BP replacements were all in some kinda gov. conspiracy to makes loads of money by having laws passed banning smokeless powders in muzzleloaders.

Surely, if this is a real topic of discussion, you guys have gone a round or two with it already. But, if you could humor me with your opinions I would appreciate it.
Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:25 AM

Honky welcome to our campfire. Without a great deal of research I would say no. It may sound very tempting to try but the ignition qualities and pressure peaks of black powders and their substitutes versus any modern gun powder are very much different from each other. Peak pressure of BP is not nearly as high as modern powders. Nearly all muzzleloaders are proof tested only to the limits of black powder. Playing with powders that are not designed for a muzzleloader can and has in the past be a real recipe for disaster. There is at least one muzzleloader made by savage that you can use either powder but unless you have that particular rifle I would consider it too dangerous to play with. You can use real black powder which is in powder form only and is the cheapest of all the acceptable muzzleloader powders. I am a reloader of modern ammo as well as a muzzleloader shooter and I certainly would never use a powder that is not listed in a reloading manual for a particular caliber/bullet and certainly would never do the same in a muzzleloader. In my mind there is a time and place for experimentation into the unknown but this is not one of them.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:51 AM

Almost all muzzleloader manufacturers stress, nothing but black powder or synthetic black powder, absolutely NO modern smokeless powder, except as Paul mentioned with the one Savage rifle. Again, as Paul said, muzzleloader barrels are not designed for the high pressures of modern smokeless powder and exsperimenting with it is just an accident that will quickly find a place to happen. Besides which, doing so would void the warrenty on your muzzleloader.

Edited by Spirithawk, 20 January 2010 - 09:53 AM.

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:14 AM

The fastest way of getting hurt is to start playing with modern smokeless powder in muzzleloaders not made to shoot it. Savage 110 is a smokeless rifle. Even they blow up. If you use smokeless powder its only a matter of time before you mess up and the rifle gets you. Some have survived, others lost eyes, fingers, hands, etc.. The best way to stay safe is.. JUST DO NOT DO IT!!!The black powder and black powder subs are made to burn at a much different rate then smokeless. Use the powder intended for the rifle. If you want to save money, buy in bulk the powder you like, and also when target shooting, cut your load and use bulk ammo.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:42 PM

I'll tell you now, if you ever saw one blow up it sure leaves a LASTING impression! Imagine pulling the pin on a handgrenade and forgetting to throw it!

#6 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:08 PM

I did some more searching after I posted the question. Turns out they were probably talking about the savage. The controversy was whether or not it was safe to use the smokeless powder in that rifle (which was designed for it). I found one forum disscusion where a guy says that most "typical" BP muzzleloaders could handle 20 gr loads of smokless but that it would probably blow the gun up eventually. So, lets see, I could save about 20 cents in BP and spend $150,000 in medical expenses. If I live, right? Don't worry guys, I have seen the light. It also seemed that most people that liked the idea were not concerned with saving money or hunting with a more reliable powder. They just talked about less recoil and never cleaning their guns. That, IMO, is just pure lazy. There's nothing wrong with being cheap, but lazy is a sin. (that might hafta be my new signature)
Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:33 PM

I have a nephew that has been pestering me to find him a used muzzleloader. 40 years old and the lazyest bum ever born. I finally just told him flat out that if he won't take care of his, rather valuable rare model Marlin .30-.30 that his dad gave him, then he certainly wouldn't clean a muzzleloader after every use! Heck, to me, cleaning thems half the fun! Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users