21 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:38 PM

Just wondering what kind of knives you carry, both for hunting and every day use? Jason gave me a CRKT, Carson Design M16-10KZ that I've taken to carrying. I really like it. I also carry a Colt White Stag Cattleman 3 blade pen knife which is a very handy little knife, also a gift from Jason. Posted Image For hunting, I carry a camo Buck Omni Hunter folding blade with gut hook.

Edited by Spirithawk, 25 January 2010 - 09:49 PM.

#2 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:02 PM

During my everyday life I carry a couple utensils. I carry a Gerber Legend multi-tool on my belt and I carry a small pocket 2" lock-back made by Zippo. I received the Zippo after the Ice Storm of '98 (and is so inscribed "Ice Storm 1998" from the Gov't department I worked for) and have been carrying it with me ever since. I use it as an electricians knife to strip wires and the like.

Before the Gerber Legend I had a Leatherman Super-Tool, but lost it in the arctic, only to find it a year later on a subsequent trip. It had rusted and I no longer use it. And before the Zippo, I used to carry pocket Schrades, Bucks and a Kershaw (not all at the same time). I also lost the Kershaw in the arctic.

For hunting I used to carry a Buck Woodsman 102, but gave it to my son. I then purchased a Buck 118 and had used it for about 10 years. Just last fall I purchased a Knives of Alaska combo set of Jaeger/Cub Bear caping knife.

TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:07 PM

I usually do not carry a knife for everyday use. I carried for years a pocket knife that was my dads knife. It was a schrade old timer and would sharpen to near surgical sharpness. For a walk about I may carry any of a bunch I have to include a folding panther, a western folder with saw blade, or my dads unnamed hunting knife. I will not carry a knife that is not sharp. For me a knife is only usable if I can dry shave the hair off the back of my hand.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:33 AM

In general I never carry a knife, even on the weekends. I can put my hands on one fairly quickly if I need one. I have them through out the house and in my desk here at work. Some are nothing more than a box cutter or a little 1.5" fold back/lock back for opening up stuff.

Hunting I carry a gift from one of my son's made by Cold Steel 4" drop point and sometimes I carry a another gift from a friend that's the same size and has a gut hook and I think it was a special order and awesome. I'd hate too lose either one.

During the work week, I'm sometimes in the court house downtown and have to go thru the security to enter it so carrying a knife would be a royal pain in the butt to explain.

I don't like carrying stuff in my pockets and I dump my spare change in a draw so a KNIFE that's not needed is just added weight to carry.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:14 AM

I've got the same Gerber Multi-tool that Geoff has. I take it fishing regularly. The Fiskars scissors on it are excellent for cutting super lines and the pliers are handy for the more toothy fish we have around here.

I've got a few knives that get carried regularly.

Bladetech Mouse Lite - Aus 8 Blade. Very thick superbly jimped flat ground blade (.125") This is a lock back design with a Fiberglass Reinforced Nylon(FRN) Handle. Very very sharp!

Bladetech Ganyana Lite - Aus 8 Blade. Very thick superbly jimped flat ground blade (.125") This is an open back liner-lock design with a FRN Handle. Because it's open backed it's a breeze to clean. A bigger knife but still small enough for everyday carry. Doubles as a hunting knife for me. Also very very sharp!

Spyderco Native III - VG10 Blade. Thumb ramp jimping only. Leaf shaped hollow Ground Blade. Lock Back design with Boye Detent. FRN handle. I can shave letters off paper with this knife.

Spyderco Dragonfly Stainless - VG10 Blade. Leaf shaped flat Ground blade. Stainless Handle. Also shaves print off paper. Mostly carry this one as a neck knife.

I've got a few hunting knives too, I'll post about them later.
Posted Image

#6 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoe hare hunting, ice fishing, turkey hunting, striped bass fishing, deer hunting, trapping.

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:36 PM

I use a Buck folding knife. Nothing fancy. Plastic handles. Holds a good edge.
Your eye in the northeast sky.

#7 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:45 PM

I always carry an old Case 3 blade stockman for everyday use. When in the sticks, I have a gerber Gator that I reshaped to my specifications. I usually also have a Buck folding hunter on my belt as a backup. I rarely carry any of my larger ones. I find that the larger ones that I have are too bulky for most jobs.

#8 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:58 PM

My half sister that lives in Germany sent me a Victorinox swiss army knife for my birthday about six years ago. I wasn't in the habit of carrying a knife everyday and this was one of the big ones (not the biggest but about 1" wide). It took me a while to use it but I started whittling with it because the big handle was comfortable and the small blades were very sharp and strong. I reluctantly started carrying it but soon found it frequently useful. It has now become indespensible for cutting, carving, feild stripping every gun I own, minor surgeries(splinters, glass shards), personal grooming, and of course bottle/can opening. There are still a few tools on there I haven't found a use for but here's the run down:

Swiss Army Boy Scout Huntsman Features:
  • Large Blade
  • Small Blade
  • Can Opener with Small Screwdriver (also for Phillips Screws)
  • Bottle Opener with Large Screwdriver and Wire Stripper
  • Reamer
  • Key Ring
  • Tweezers
  • Toothpick
  • Scissors
  • Multi-purpose Hook (Parcel Carrier)
  • Wood Saw

Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#9 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:01 PM

Honky Cat,

Your real name by any chance wouldn't be......McGUIVER? Would it? Posted Image

Just kiddin'!

Like you, when I got my first multi-tool (I didn't buy it, it was provided by my worksite), I figured it was one of those knives I'd seen when I was in Boy Scouts years ago. Way too many gidgets and gadgets to be practical and far too big to carry on your person. But after carrying it for a while, I found out how useful it truly was and now rarely go anywhere without it packed on my belt at my side.

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#10 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:48 PM

As those of you who live in the country, or at least spend a lot of time outdoors, know.....a knife is an essential tool. I've got a few exspensive knives, and of course my flint knives, but for every day carrying I am satisfied with one that is funtional and holds a good edge. I've just plain lost wayyyy too many exspensive knives to carry my treasured ones regularly. Posted Image I just gave a vintage staghorn handled fix blade, made in Soligen Germany, to a friend who fell in love with it. To be honest, next to my original flint knives, it was my most treasured.

Edited by Spirithawk, 26 January 2010 - 08:51 PM.

#11 Hammerforged

Hammerforged

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, SCUBA, Smithing, Sporting Clays, FITASC

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:27 AM

Daily carry is one of my own Zaftigs (LinerLock). Field carry is one of my Soco Gap Skinners. I keep a Gerber Multitool in the truck.

#12 Fossil

Fossil

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and rockhounding..............

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:40 AM

As always my "Buck-110",on my 3rd on now................Plus a "Silver Hawk" 2 inch pocket knife(I've gutted more deer with that small knife than any other.............
Posted Image

God,family and friends-What else is there..................

#13 Monk

Monk

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:51 PM

Lately I have been carry my father's Schrade, Old Timer. He recently passed away and it just my way of keeping him a little closer. My knife is also a Shrade, an Uncle Henry though. I treasure it, my son bought it for me years ago...
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Roosevelt

#14 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:17 PM

Spyderco and Knives of AK

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#15 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:27 PM

My every day pocket knife is a Kershaw CRKT Van How Snap Lock:

Posted Image

My favorite skinning and boning blade is a Gerber straight blade my son bought me a long time ago. It holds a fine edge and with the rubberized handle it's easy to hold in the hand on a messy field dress or boning job. Easy to sharpen.

"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users