• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:02 PM

Even though I bought a new muzzle loader a few weeks back, I went ahead and traded that old .410 for a used CVA staghorn mag. The previous owner hunted with it for three years and had recently shot and not cleaned it. It looked like a fixer-upper. All the parts were there and functioning so I went for it.

I have never cleaned a gun for so long in my life. The bore was all rusty/fouled. I heavily swabbed Hoppe no. 9 through it, then scrubbed it with the brass brush and ended with about two dozen oiled patches to clean it up. Flashlight down the barrel still shows pitting at both ends with the middle looking pretty good.

I'm not complaining about the trade. This guy's a friend of a friend and there was no pressure to go through with it. I just wanted another gun to play with so I could keep my new one for hunting. I'm happy with it for what I gave.

Have any of you tried to clean a neglected bore like this. I'm pretty sure I've got it as good as it's gonna get and figure the gun will be forgiving of this condition. I let you know how it shoots in a couple days.
Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:39 PM

Good luck with it. Hope it shoots ok for ya.

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:57 PM

I believe if it were me I would have first scrubbed it with soapy water and rinse. I then would have either hit it with one of the foaming cleaners or went at it with something like J. B. Bore paste. It may not have taken so long or so much work to get to where you got it. I have not experienced a really dirty rusted bore but used the J. B Bore Paste on a really tight barrel. Can't say whether it helped in that situation or not as I stole the sights off of it for my son's gun and have not shot it since.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:18 PM

[quote name='PA RIDGE RUNNER' date='29 January 2010 - 09:57 PM' timestamp='1264820271' post='1332056']
I believe if it were me I would have first scrubbed it with soapy water and rinse.

That's usually all it takes with my APP. This guy used RS which apparently is dirtier. I was holding the entire barrel in soapy water while brushing. It looked like mud was pouring out of the muzzle. I had considered trying pyrodex when my APP ran out but have changed my mind. It seems too corrosive and dirty in comparison. If I ever try Real BP, I 'll probably want to bring a gallon of soapy water and a bucket to the range to get it clean right away. Otherwise there will probably just be a plastic stock sitting in a pile of dust when I get home. They don't make steel like they used to I guess.
Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:29 PM

On another site one of their members did a test with both flat steel and a part of a barrel. He taped unburned powder to both and also burned some on each piece. He used real black powder, Pyrodex, 777 and app powders. None of the unburned powders affected the steel. What was a little surprising was the burned spots. The pyrodex was the worst for rusting by far. Black powder took a while but did finally show some signs of rust as well as the 777 and app residue. The Pyrodex not only showed rust first but showed rust the worst. It also showed the first signs of pitting too. As long as a rifle is cleaned within a few hours of shooting everything should be ok. Being as you already have some pitting you most likey would benefit from using a brush during the cleaning process.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users