• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:18 AM

How many keep a list or inventory of all the firearms you or the family have. I did this about 10 years ago but have not updated it since then. I won't say how many rifles, shotguns, handguns and muzzleloaders I have as I do not think it is prudent to do that online but do desire to keep a list of my guns serial Numbers I have gone so far with my inventory to include a description of each and provide a brief history of the gun and their 2008 values. As I said I will not enumerate how many I have but all of the categories have multiple pages. I also plan on marking my guns in a secluded spot and recording that too. Having an inventory on the computer can be self defeating but if any get stolen I do have a record of that particular gun so I guess it is a two edged sword which I do not have any of by the way. What is the best way to get rid of an inoperable gun that is just plain junk.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:17 PM

I have photos of each of Jason and my guns, along with each gun's serial number, copied on disc. I also like to put our names underneath each rifle and shotgun's but plate or recoil pad. With the info copied on disc, even if my computer crashes or gets stolen I still have the info. The disc I keep in my gun safe. As to junk guns, I'd diasemble it, cut the barrel off as close to the receiver as possible, and toss the pieces in the trash a bit at a time so that it could never be put back together. Either that or sell it very cheaply as for parts only.

#3 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:19 PM

I prefer to buy my guns second-hand with no records. There's a waterproof crate waitin' to go in the ground with all of them when the Gov't takes away our rights. When the ATF breaks down my door nobody will be able to prove a thing.

Just kidding. I'm sure there are plenty of paranoid folks out there doing just that though.

I own eight guns. Theft is so unlikely that I haven't made plans for it besides keeping serial numbers to report to the cops. If someone commits a crime with your gun, you'll probably still need an alibi, even if you reported it stolen. If my house burns down, there is enough insurance to cover the cost of replacement so I'm good.

For you real gun collectors, it would probably be a good idea to give a copy of that inventory to your attorney with your will. Gun rooms/safes can be cracked and otherwise stolen.
Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#4 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:35 PM

See if y'all lived here in Canuckistan, you wouldn't have to worry about keepin' records or serial numbers! The gov't does that for you!!!!!! Posted Image

Seriously, the federal government has a national gun registry program and have endeavored to record all firearms in Canada, even though they admit they haven't had 100% participation from the gun community. The ruling Conservatives right now are making rhetoric about abolishing just the long gun registry, but so far it's just been talk.

I used to carry a separate rider for my guns on my house insurance policy, but dropped it all last year when I retired. Found out that rider only covered loss of the firearms when I was away from home and did something like flipping a canoe and loosing one into the water that was unretrievable. If the firearms were stolen or damaged during a house fire, you're still covered under the loss of items under the normal policy. Had I saved all the money that I'd paid over the years for extra insurance on those guns, I likely could have bought a few more! Just wasn't worth it, so I dropped it and saved a hundred bucks a year.

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#5 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:47 PM

I keep photos and serial numbers of all in my records.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:52 PM

Guess I should plan on photoing my guns and use some sort of code to refer to the inventory. My youngest son Rick just sent me an email about a normal home owners policy usually only covers about $2500 for firearms. At todays gun values it doesen't take long to exceed that figure. Many folks may have a model 1897 win shotgun or an old model 12 win shotgun or an L. C Smith or Parker and the values of these have really increased as have old rifles. I am not saying I have any or all of these guns just using them as examples.

#7 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:48 AM

Guess I should plan on photoing my guns and use some sort of code to refer to the inventory. My youngest son Rick just sent me an email about a normal home owners policy usually only covers about $2500 for firearms. At todays gun values it doesen't take long to exceed that figure. Many folks may have a model 1897 win shotgun or an old model 12 win shotgun or an L. C Smith or Parker and the values of these have really increased as have old rifles. I am not saying I have any or all of these guns just using them as examples.

I keep the make, model & serial # on my computer. Now that Im thinking about it, I should give a copy to family incase they steal the computer. Thanks for the reminder.

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:34 PM

Looking on the net I have found the dates of manufacture for many of my shotguns and rifles and a couple of handguns It is kinda cool to know that especially if they have collecter value. Just beware, some of those sites are virus infected but since I search with the current AVG it warns me of that before I even go to the site.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 02 February 2010 - 06:36 PM.

#9 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:42 PM

I take a digital camera and take a photo of every weapon in the house. In the summation of the weapon I state extras like scope, mounts, etc. The I advise the purchased value and the collector value of each item. When I have the entire collection done like this I usually put a overall summery of the collection the condition, value etc. And then I burn copies of all of this. One copy goes to the insurance company. They require this because they insist I have a special rider on the collection. One copy goes into my safe deposit box at the bank. Once copy is kept at my home in my files, and a copy is also kept on my computer. Once a year I update the file with photos of new weapons, sales of old ones, changes to the collection made, etc. This way in the event of fire, theft, or natural disaster, I have a number of places to look should I need to justify to the authorities or the insurance my collection.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users