#1 David Clayton Harrison

David Clayton Harrison

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:God, archery and hunting, and family

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:03 AM

1. Can you loose your salvation. 2. What is the talking in toungs about? 3. If a saved person commits suicide, will he go to heck? 4. If you sin against your brother , can you just ask God to forgive you, For example, Say a man or woman cheats on there spouse, and the spouse does not know, can they just ask God to forgive them instead of telling there spouse about the infidelity?
5. Will we live in the same mansion with our wife and kids and family, and make love to our spouse there? What if someone is remarried? Will they be with there latter wife? I am a saved Christian, and even though I have read scriptures, and have gone to many different denominations, which probabaly confused me, I am not sure about these answers. Maybe some no one knows and we will find out in Heaven. Maybe some guess. Is there a right answer to these questions on earth from the bible?

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:59 PM

1. Can you loose your salvation?

1) No. There is no work that we do to earn salvation. It is a gift from God extended through grace and accepted by faith. The Bible says in Romans 8:38-39 NKJV that nothing can separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus. Certain denominations within Christianity hold to doctrines that push an almost legalistic or "works based" faith in which one must constantly do certain things or ask certain things of God, the Virgin Mary, or various saints of the church when they make a misstep in order to be in or stay in God's "good graces". But, this is really not founded in scripture. Truly we see in James 2:20 that faith without works is dead. But, we know that the works we do after accepting Christ are done because of Christ in us. We do not do the good works in order to be saved, we do the good works because we are already saved. It is due to our very nature having been changed as a result of Christ living in us that we almost can not help but do good works. (The goodness inside simply comes to the surface as if overflowing. "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water." John 7:38) Simply put, it is by grace through faith that you first believed and it is likewise - abiding in Christ - that you will remain sanctified. Now, with that said, I firmly believe that it is possible for one to lay down their salvation. (Why anyone would ever choose to do so, I do not know. But, the Bible is clear that it can happen.) We see a description in Hebrews...
"For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame." Hebrews 6:4-6
Some actually attempt to say that this passage is not referring to a born again believer. But, I could not disagree more strongly. First, what (or whom) is the "heavenly gift" and why is the word "tasted" used here? A brief study reveals none other than Christ, Himself, is the heavenly gift. ("Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good; Blessed is the man who trusts in Him!" Psalm 34:8) Second, who can receive the Holy Spirit? True believers ONLY, of course. The world can not receive the Holy Spirit. ("And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Comforter [Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, and Standby], that He may remain with you forever-- The Spirit of Truth, Whom the world cannot receive [welcome, take to its heart], because it does not see Him or know and recognize Him. But you know and recognize Him, for He lives with you [constantly] and will be in you." John 14:16-17 AMP) Third, we again see a "tasting" of the word of God. Jesus, Himself, is referred to as "The Word" (or even "Logos") in scripture. ("IN THE beginning [before all time] was the Word [Christ], and the Word was with God, and the Word was God Himself. He was present originally with God." John 1:1-2) These things are self-evident that the individual being described in Hebrews 6 is, indeed, a born again, blood washed, saved, sanctified, and established child of light; a true member of the body of Christ - A Christian. Now, it does say "if they fall away". How possible/easy is that? I have no idea. To me, "if" could mean that it is an extraordinarily uncommon occurrence. But, as I prefaced this entire line of dialog with, I believe it is a matter of willfully choosing to lay down one's salvation and not "losing" it. A good illustration that I have heard in the past is this... If I am driving down the road at 65 MPH there is likely nobody in this world who could snatch me from my truck. (So, think Romans 8.) However, there is nothing at all to say that I could not open the door at any time and jump out on my own. If we are persuaded, by sound scriptural evidence, that man is a free moral agent (not made by God as a robot), and that his free will is not somehow taken away after he accepts Christ, then we are likely also persuaded to see how such a scenario of turning one's back on God and their own salvation could play out. (Truly tragic.)

2. What is talking in tongues about?

2) The intricacies, shall we say, of "Speaking in Tongues" is something likely best left to personally reading books on the subject. There are several that have been written. One that I like and refer individuals to whenever the subject comes up is a small pocket book titled "Why Tongues" by Kenneth E. Hagin. (Clearly not an exhaustive read, but covers the basics well.) I will say, just personally that you may know my own perspective, that I believe that "Tongues" is an actual "language" that is given to believers who have been baptized in the Holy Spirit. (I believe that there is an inner-working of the Holy Spirit in all of us when we are saved. But, I believe the actual "baptism" of the Holy Spirit is a separate work. I believe that this baptism can occur at the point of salvation or later. I believe that it depends on the individual and their own knowledge and/or level of belief at the point of accepting Christ and as they progress through their Christian walk.) I believe, unlike some, that speaking in Tongues is still in operation to this day for any who readily believe so and have been baptized in the Holy Spirit. (Some will refer to 1 Corinthians 13:8-11 as a proof that such things as speaking in tongues have passed away. This is because they believe that the "that which is perfect" mentioned in the passage, which causes that which was in part to be done away with, is referring to the completed Holy Bible. However, many others, myself included, are persuaded by sound scriptural study that the "that which is perfect" mentioned is actually the still yet to come return of Christ Himself and the establishment of His Kingdom on earth. As such, "miraculous gifts" such as speaking in tongues, miraculous healing, etc. are still in operation today.) I believe that Tongues can have multiple uses. At times I believe they are meant to edify the church. (Some may have the gift of speaking in tongues while others can interpret them. Some individuals can do both.) Often times speaking in tongues is meant to be simply between God and man. ("For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries." 1 Corinthians 14:2) I consider this to be our "Spiritual Recharging" time. It's really not meant to be interpreted or even openly (publicly) spoken. Often times I do this in private. (Driving in the car... When I wake up in the morning and am still alone... etc. It can be and often is a daily occurrence.)

3. If a saved person commits suicide, will he go to heck?

3) Without question life is precious beyond comparison in the sight of God and any toying with such notions is playing with fire. That said, the first question I would ask is what was the person's mental state. I don't know what it takes, mentally, spiritually... personally, to commit suicide. (And I pray that I never do. So, I'll prayerfully never be able to fully "relate".) What I do know is that I would think it takes a truly desperate individual, likely in serious mental distress, to make that move. (I'm thinking one whom has gone "over the edge"... As in no longer in rational thought at all.) If we are persuaded that one chooses to believe (faith) of their own free will in the grace of God unto salvation then we see the value of "choice" and rationality within the life of a believer. Continuing in Christ after salvation is often times referred to as abiding in Him and He abiding in the believer. John 15:1-8... The true vine. (Abide implies a sojourning, continuation with, or a stable/fixed state with. In fact, this is a great topic to bear in mind when contemplating the subject and answer of your first question.) As such, can we say with certainty that an individual who took their own life willingly made a choice against God's gift of life? I don't know. It's not that I don't believe there is an answer, it's that I truly believe it depends upon the individual and where they were at, if you will, when they ended their life. In much the same way that I believe a typical child reaches a point in life where they become fully aware of their need for reconciliation with God and, from that point forward, they need to accept Christ, I believe it could also be possible in the case of some individuals that they may be so "disturbed" that they are not held responsible, by God, for taking their own life. That would, of course, be God's call and God's call alone. You and I, I believe, will simply not know in each case until our time to depart this realm of life comes unless God chooses to share with us, personally, concerning a specific individual before that time.

4. If you sin against your brother, can you just ask God to forgive you? For example, say a man or woman cheats on there spouse and the spouse does not know; can they just ask God to forgive them instead of telling their spouse about the infidelity?

4) Using the specific example you cite, I would say that the individual likely needs to tell their spouse. This is because we see in scripture that marriage is actually a sacred union or set of vows between not only the man and woman who have been joined in "Holy Matrimony", but also God, Himself. Despite what many today would like to believe, God ordained marriage. Man did not think it up. God saw fit for one man and one woman to have union. We see in scripture that once this union takes place that an individual no longer belongs to themselves alone. They are literally a part of their partner and their partner of them. Their flesh is no longer even their own only. They owe, for lack of a better term, a part of their very being to their spouse, under God. (Genesis 2:18-25) Due to the shear magnitude of this union (which is so completely and sadly lost upon most individuals today) I believe that something as serious as infidelity would be a matter between all three parties... God, man, and woman. (Not that the spouse has the power to forgive sin. That is to the blood of Christ. But, the sanctity of the union and trust level within a marriage, I believe, dictates honesty.) Obviously this is a serious subject with even more serious potential ramifications when coming forward with the truth. I'm not a marriage counselor and make absolutely no claim of being one. I would imagine that the marriage itself is placed in serious jeopardy by coming forward. Of course, the point I have tried to make is that the marriage is most likely in just as much jeopardy, if not more, by not doing so. As to generally going to a brother when we have wronged them... I believe that this, too, is scriptural. Again, that individual has absolutely no power to absolve sin. (So, throw the whole "confessional" mindset out the window.) But, believers are, indeed, instructed to confess our sins one to another. (James 5:16) It's more in an "iron sharpening iron" (Proverbs 27:17) manner than in a forgiving or asking forgiveness for the sin type of manner. I would say follow the guidance of the Holy Spirit in any given situation. Fix your gaze upon Christ and you will never go wrong.

5. Will we live in the same mansion with our wife and kids and family, and make love to our spouse there? What if someone is remarried? Will they be with there latter wife? I am a saved Christian, and even though I have read scriptures, and have gone to many different denominations, which probabaly confused me, I am not sure about these answers. Maybe some no one knows and we will find out in Heaven. Maybe some guess. Is there a right answer to these questions on earth from the bible?

5) Jesus, Himself, answered this question when the Sadducees asked it of Him in Matthew 22:23-33. In essence, life with God is not as life on this current earth. (I'm most thankful for that, personally!) Man is not given in marriage - one man to one woman - as on this current earth but, rather, given solely to God when free from a flesh body or even when in a perfected body after the resurrection. (Surely you have seen in the book of Revelation where the church, as in the entire body of true believers, is referred to as Christ's bride. Jesus is one day returning for his bride... All of us. Revelation 19:7-9; 21:1-2)

Well, I hope these help. Admittedly, they were assembled quickly on the spot today. I'd invite anyone with a well thought out, scripturally-based, alternative view to anything I wrote to offer up their viewpoints as well. (I was actually hoping to write a sermon, I guess you would call it, on question one. But, then my church pastor delivered such a sermon just a couple weeks ago and a lot of what he covered were things I wanted to cover in a similar manner and so now I feel compelled to start over so as not to just have it seem I borrowed his approach. So, that's on delay! :D But, thanks for the mini-warm-up here today.) God Bless.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:45 PM

I feel priviledged to share this forum with men of God that aren't ashamed to share their beliefs. The only thing I feel that I could add is to question #2-What is the talking in tounges about? I go to a church that doesn't pratice talking in tounges but they do shout and walk the aisle and things of that naturefrom time to time. I'm not at all disagreeing with anyone that feels lead to do it but at the same time don't feel anyone not lead to do so should feel lacking. As to what it's about. A friend of mine that attends a Church of God church practices tounges. It's my understanding that most of the intrepreted utterings are praises to God. My feelings are that anything I could speak in tounges I could also say in english and so far have not been lead to do otherwise. It is a hard topic in some denominations from what I can tell. Secular judgement of it has probably made some people shy away because they don't understand. As Jeremiah said, read for yourself and be obedient to what the spirit leads you to do.
Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:38 PM

I wouldn't argue with that. I know that there are some denominations that believe you aren't even saved until you have had utterance in the Holy Ghost (spoken in tongues). Personally, I don't believe that. Yes, I know about "and these signs shall follow..." in the book of Acts. But, I don't believe that one must perform all of those signs - not spiritual gifts, mind you, they are signs which is an important differentiation to make - in order to be a child of light. (That's when we start getting into the doctrines of purposely handling snakes and such because some individuals believe they must perform such signs in order to somehow prove that they are Christians. Well, whatever floats their boat. But, I believe it's Christ in us and His nature that shows through us which testifies of our right standing to others. John 13:35 I believe with the signs mentioned it's more a case where we have been given an assurance of protection from certain things that might otherwise harm us. It's not an outright call to purposely handle dangerous things, for example. I think more of Paul when he was bitten by the snake in Acts 28. But, I digress.)

Getting back on point, most often when someone gives a message in tongues and it is interpreted at my church (or wherever) it is indeed often a message of encouragement to the church and/or praises to God. It could easily have been delivered as direct prophesy in English. (In fact, Paul said he would prefer such a thing if nobody with the gift of interpretation is present to actually edify the church with the message. 1 Corinthians 14:19) The Bible is clear that some may have the gift of prophesy, another tongues, another the interpretation of tongues. (1 Corinthians 12:10) So, like you say, I wouldn't get hung up on it. (Though I think we can and should always have a healthy desire for more of the things of God. :) )

I will only add that at times I actually find myself praying in tongues. I have been awakened from a sound sleep on a few occasions with a strong urge to pray. I'll start in English, not even sure what I'm praying about, and then it will often move to praying in the spirit (tongues). I just let it be and then go back to bed or sit up for a little bit (whatever I feel led to do). Usually the next day I find out what happened. Sometimes it's not for a few days. (One time it was that my mother had been admitted to the E.R. with chest pains. The time of her distress and my prayer coincided.) So, I would say there is an element of a "prayer helper" in there too. (As in sometimes when we don't even know what to pray for. Romans 8 speaks of the spirit groaning on our behalf etc.) I'm not sure we even know the full value of tongues. I'm thankful to God for any gift He has bestowed upon me.

Snag a copy of that booklet. It's good on the subject.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users