• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:03 AM

My first official hunt of 2010 took place this past Saturday in Potter, Nebraska. I met good friend Kelly Parks Saturday morning in Cheyenne, Wyoming. He and I dashed 80 miles eastward on US 80 to hunt feral yak on the ranch of Dale Dedic (Mr. Dedic has established a small herd of 16 animals). Although this hunt did not take place on the high Tibetan Plateau, it did give me a slight insight of a hunt there.

At the present, the total yak population is estimated to number around 14.2 million, of which 13.3 million are in Chinese territories, about 0.6 million in Mongolia and the rest in other countries, notably those bordering the Himalayas and countries of the Commonwealth of Independent States (formerly the Soviet Union). Most have been tamed or domesticated. The vast majority are hybrids with cattle. There are approximately 15,000 truly wild yaks in existence. They are highly protected by the Chinese Government.

Posted Image

“Wild yak prefer to live in herds of tens or even hundreds of animals. The wild yak has a very acute sense of smell, is highly alert and timid; it tries to escape immediately on sensing or seeing people or other animals. Wild yak stampede readily, but if angered or cornered they are fierce and will attack an intruder. Wild yak dislike heat but are highly tolerant of cold and starvation. Wild yak bulls often wander off individually during the non-breeding season to hill areas away from the high mountains. Such males are known to attack people on remote roads.”

Having read this and after listening to advice given to us from Marty (bonecollector34) ansd Dale, Kelly and I proceeded with caution. He was hunting with his Bowtech while I had my Custom Kanga Longbow in hand. “Tigger”, as I call her, got to sing.

We found several of the yak grouped up in a corner of the ranch. They were in the open and unapproachable. One bull was not among them; we set off to find him (we found him but not until later in the day).

The decision was made; I was going to be the first to attempt a stalk on the yak. We went back to where we found the original group. I studied them with my binoculars and then asked Dale if I could use the ditch on the adjoining property for my approach. He said, “Sure”-he and the neighbor were apparently buds.

I was dropped off. I made my way down the trench while Kelly and Dale watched from a distance. I’d peek up every now and then to check my bearings. I used a large clump of weeds along a three wire barbed fence to get within 15 yards of my bull. I drew Tigger and eyed my spot. My focus was intense. I loosed the arrow and watched as it glanced off the top wire five feet in front of me. The wire caused me to totally miss high-go figure. The yak bull ran ten yards and turned. He was straining to find the source of the noise. I slipped back down into the ditch and move up for another shot. I had the bull at 17 yards when I loosed my second arrow. Unbelievably, my arrow grazed the fence wire a second time, but it hit home. I noticed the arrow’s depth as he ran away (taking the herd with him). It looked good- deep into his chest. I felt the bull was done.

Posted Image

I used a 220 grain Outback Supreme FE on the front of a Carbon Fury 350. I like this combination but I think I might add a 100 grain brass insert. I'd like to see what this does to help penetration.

Yak should never be underestimated-they are as tough as heck to bring down with a bow-definitely not bunny or deer like! I learned a lot from this experience. I will use the information gathered to move forward. I'm looking ahead to South Africa in July. On that trip I plan to use my 84# PSE X-Force, a Black Mamba arrow, and the 220 grain Outback to down a cape buffalo. I am hoping for a one shot, one kill, adventure. I will gladly accept any advice you gents have to offer.

Here's a neat video of Kelly stalking his yak. He does a fine job of closing the gap. The wind was in his face and the yak was suspicious.

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/k...t=M2U00660.flv
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:12 AM

Going traditional surely makes a sweeter challenge to test your ability in this hunt for the wild Yak. Sounds like it was a fun hunt for you. Posted Image

Not knowing all your stats for the upcoming South Africa hunt using your PSE I sort of took the liberty to guess-timate your setup for the recommended KE for the dreaded black death hunt or the Cape Buff. This has to be a very mind racking hunt let alone a challenge with very little wiggle room for error, tough hunt even for any experienced hunter, gun or bow.

("Dangerous/Tough Game (Cape Buffalo, Grizzly, etc.) - 65 ft-lbs and above" )

Without knowing specific information I guessed at an arrow weight of around 520 grains (minimum weight) and I guessed at what speed your IBO was for your bow of 360fps. I also surmised your draw length at 29" and you said you were drawing a 84# PSE X-Force. That puts you well over the 65ft-lbs and more near double it at 122 KE with an estimated speed of 324fps.

Now getting close enough for making the shot is what its all about after tons of preparation. Good luck Will!Posted Image

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 09 February 2010 - 01:45 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:54 PM

He looks formidable! Having been there and done that I completely understand what is involved to get in tight with these guys. Lots of people like to call em "hairy cows". LOL , have em get in there with em and see how they act towards people to make that comment....

They are fun hunts and excellent table-fare

Congrats to you and Kelly, we have to get Kelly into SCI. He is starting to hunt quite a bit outside of his comfort zone

BC

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#4 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:45 PM

Nice harvest with the longbow Will !Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:44 AM

Congrats Huck. Way to go and double cool with a longbow.Posted Image

#6 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:12 PM

Neat!!!
Posted Image

#7 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:32 PM

Will - you are THE MAN!!!

So...do I get any backstraps out of that fella?
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#8 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:15 PM

Well Mark, I'm not sure what to say. You really shouldn't, the way I see it. The meat will just make you a lard butt. If your gonna hunt elk, then you should abstain from such a delicacy...

Absolutely, pick it up when you get here!
Posted Image

#9 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:38 AM

In the immortal words of Tred Barta, "Do you want me to unleash the whole 196 pounds of blue twisted steel?"

I'll be ready brother, don't you worry. My aerobics gals have me working all 5 working days, my son has me lifting weights (limited right now with the shoulder) and i just got my hands on the P90X series. By the way, if you start with the advanced ab ripper set you'll be rolling out of bed for a couple days. just sayin'.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#10 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:23 AM

Posted Image Way to go Will! What time does the bbq start? Posted Image Posted Image

#11 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:42 PM

As always - great hunt, great story and great photos. Congratulations Huck!
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#12 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:15 PM

Nice yak.
What ya doin' with the hide and head?

#13 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:22 PM

Judd,

I'm doing a euro on the skull and I'm having the entire skin tanned hair on. It's too cool that way
Posted Image

#14 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:49 AM

You'll definitely have to post up a pic when you get it back - that's too cool! I did the same thing with the bison I killed - euro on the skull, tanned the hide hair on - really cool rug and blanket - really warm!

#15 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 18 February 2010 - 09:56 PM

Yak: It's what's for dinner. :D

Can't say as I see you really needing advise from us. Looks like you've got it on lock down quite nicely, as usual. Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to the future tales.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users