5 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:47 PM

Anyone know where I can find some .32 auto hollow points? Can't find any around here at all. Prefer Winchester or Federal.

#2 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:38 AM

The best place I've been finding stuff lately is on the Cabelas website or Sportsman's Guide.
http://www.cabelas.c...dexId=cat601233

and sportsman's guide has Speer gold dot and Blazer CCI.

Just for fun (maybe not) I'll tell you what I saw yesterday at the gunshop. You know that I have some experience with both the kel-tec and ruger LCP. I generally like both, but feel that they have some weaknesses which can be tolerated. However, Taurus just came out with their own kel-tec copy, the TCP. I have never operated any Taurus, but assuming that they made it well, it blows the kel-tec and LCP away. It looks similar, same basic demensions and weight, but has some very important differences. Mainly, it is a true DOA, no halfcocked spring fatigue. So, if there was a light strike, you could just pull the trigger agian to try and set the primer off. Also, it has a short trigger pull like the kel-tec (which is much better than the LCP). The slide locks back when the mag is empty like the kel-tec (LCP doesn't) and it has a slide release like the LCP (kel-tec doesn't). It's like they stood back and watched what the other guys were trying then took the best of both to make their gun. I have no intensions to trade or anything but if anyone else comes along looking for an ultra sub-compact micro pocket pea-shooter, I would definitley suggest they give the taurus a close look.

Edited by Honky Cat, 16 February 2010 - 09:39 AM.

Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:59 PM

I'm a fan of Taurus and I like the improvements you listed. It's a bit funny looking though. Looks kinda like a kids toy ray gun. Posted Image Both Jason and my Kel Tec seems to fire flawlessly after carrying a round chambered for several days. I really like mine. One thing about the Taurus, just like the LCP, it only comes in a .380. I've nothing against the .380 except, around here, it's next to impossible to find cartridges for. That's one of the reasons I chose the P32. I know a lot of folks say the .32 is barely minimal for one shot stops but I saw a study done by Guns & Ammo Magazine that showed, with modern rounds, it is very comparable to the .380 and even the .38. The one shot stop doesn't mean a lot to me anyways because if I have to shoot someone you can bet I'm not stopping with just one shot.Posted Image

#4 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:12 PM

I'm a fan of Taurus and I like the improvements you listed. It's a bit funny looking though. Looks kinda like a kids toy ray gun. Posted Image Both Jason and my Kel Tec seems to fire flawlessly after carrying a round chambered for several days. I really like mine. One thing about the Taurus, just like the LCP, it only comes in a .380. I've nothing against the .380 except, around here, it's next to impossible to find cartridges for. That's one of the reasons I chose the P32. I know a lot of folks say the .32 is barely minimal for one shot stops but I saw a study done by Guns & Ammo Magazine that showed, with modern rounds, it is very comparable to the .380 and even the .38. The one shot stop doesn't mean a lot to me anyways because if I have to shoot someone you can bet I'm not stopping with just one shot.Posted Image

That's great to hear. My police chief didn't want to let me carry anything smaller than a .380 off duty. But said if I could qualify with the P32, that I could carry it. He probably didn't think it would work, but it did beautifully. I don't think I could qualify with the .380 without tons of practice because the recoil is really tough to deal with at 15+ yards. My wife and I both enjoyed the .32 but grimace at the .380. I truely wish mine never had a problem because I miss that little gun. You know how it is though, when something lets you down once, it's hard to ever trust it again.
Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:53 PM

Gotta say, Norm, you couldn't pay me to shoot anything other than ball ammo out of a .32 for self defense. Bearing in mind that neither FMJ or JHP are likely to pass completely through the torso, I'll take the penetration over expansion. These numbers are eye-opening to me...
http://www.goldenlok...cp/gel32acp.htm
:peace:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:10 PM

Gotta say, Norm, you couldn't pay me to shoot anything other than ball ammo out of a .32 for self defense. Bearing in mind that neither FMJ or JHP are likely to pass completely through the torso, I'll take the penetration over expansion. These numbers are eye-opening to me...
http://www.goldenlok...cp/gel32acp.htm
Posted Image

Thanks Jerimiah, that's exactly the kind of chart I was looking for. Right now I'm shooting the Remington 71 gr FMJ and that looks like one of the better choices according to the chart. I've also read quite a bit that indicates the ball ammo shoots better out of the Kel Tec P32 than hollow points, the ball ammo just feeds better. After all I've read I totally agree that penetration is the way to go. I'll also agree with you that the statistics are really eye opening. The main things that really sold me on the P32 is how light it is, even in the wallet holster, it's small size, and the the snag free design. It's just a pleasure to carry. I still carry my Cobra 9mm Luger over/under derringer on my belt too and I never leave home without both of them. If going into high crime areas, like Springfield, Mo. or St. Louis, I'll also be carrying a third gun too. A 9mm semi auto in my 911 shirt with the built in shouder holster's. Both 9's are loaded with Hornady 9mm Luger 124gr JHP/XTP's. Like you, I believe in pulling another gun over reloading. If I can't handle the situation with all three then I'll be setting a new land speed record out of there for safer ground. I also have an edge when going to high crime areas. Jason is almost always with me so I have my own private Certfied Executive Body Guard! He carries a Kel Tec P32 and a Springfield XD .45. Hey, I use to be a Boy Scout, I believe in being prepared! Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users