J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:22 PM

Pick up a t/c fire storm yesterday.
Black synthetic mate stainless.
Nice gun, like new, no marks and one owner who said he only shot it 10 or 12 times.
Now time to get to work on loads.
Any suggestions on bullet/powder combos?
Here in PA to hunt we are only allowed round balls or conicals.....PA correct me if I'm wrong.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:32 PM

J congratulations on that fire and smoke spitter. Actually PA allows any kind of bullet now It actually says only a single projectile is allowed. No scopes on the flintlock but peep sights are permitted. Do you know what the twist rate is?
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 J Gabel

J Gabel

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:41 PM

PA i believe it is a 1:48

#4 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:52 PM

have fun with that thing and put a net on your beard. We don't want to hear about any brushfires! Posted Image Posted Image

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:55 PM

From Eric and my experience with the 1:48 twist a sabot/bullet never did give real good results. Eric uses 80 gr of 3f and a .490 patched round ball and an 010 patch and it seems to shoot real good. As soon as it gets warmer we are going to play with some bore size conicals to give a little more umph. I have a 1:48 barrel for my accusporter and plan to play with it too. On Eric's lyman he gets the best results with a felt wad under the bullet too. TC calls them bore buttons. They are not recommended for sabots or hollow base bullets though.

#6 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:58 AM

The T/C Firestorm is a great rifle. They do have a 1-48 twist but I was told the rifling is deep cut. That means it will shoot about anything you want to try. Roundball should shoot well with around 80-100 grains of powder, conicals should also do well with 70-80 grains. I would not be surprised to see it shoots sabots well also.

I have so many times almost bought the identical rifle you purchased. They really draw my attention. But I have more rifles now then I can actually play with. I know one person that has one and shoots powerbelts out of it. So like I said, the sky is the limit. Feel free to try lots of things. If you shoot sabots, keep them light like 250 grains and under....

Be sure to keep us posted of your results.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:37 PM

About the only negative I have found with the Firestorm is most of them had a stiff trigger pull. One fellow had a gunsmith work on his and claimed it was better after that. Another had a double set trigger installed to cure his trigger problem.

#8 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:47 PM

I talked dad into buying one today. Somehow, I also managed to talk him into letting me take it to my house so that I could, "Look it all over real good for him." as it was the floor model. :lol:

Totally sweet rifle! The removable breech is absolutely like cheating. (Real men struggle to clean closed-breech flintlocks. :doh2: :roflmao: ) If the Firestorm shoots at all, I would love to have one myself. To have a gun I don't really have to worry about keeping the cleanest or babying would be a really nice change for me. (Love my T/C Hawken, but, let's face it, sometimes stuff happens in the field and I hate messing up a gun that cost more than any other in my collection.)

Two issues I see thus far with the Firestorm:
1) Like Paul said, the trigger feels like it's about 100 lbs. :doh2:
2) The barrel is a really snug fit to the stock. If you aren't very careful, you will bend the tang lifting up on the barrel to remove it. (I'm considering doing a little Dremel-work to the inside of the stock to loosen things just a touch.)

Everything else is pretty much as you would expect from a T/C though. Well worth the price tag, as usual, IMO. :thumbsup:
I am thinking dad needs to try loose Pyrodex or Triple Se7en with Powerbelts. That said, I have half a can of FFFg Goex and some FFg A.P.P. I am donating to the cause. I also have a couple boxes of T/C Shockwaves laying around somewhere I will likely throw into the test-firing mix as well. (And, of course, I'm sure we'll spit-patch some round ball while we're there.) I'll report back our findings whenever it is that we actually feel like going to the range. (Snow... Must... Melt. :D )

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#9 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:42 AM

Being a flintlock.. while these companies tell you that they will shoot the sub powders, and they will, I had nothing but headaches. I tried every kind of powder you could think of in three different flinters I own. It came down to one thing... shoot black powder as a main charge and prime and you have no problems. Shoot the sub powders like Pyrodex RS, Black Mag3, Triple Seven, Pinnacle, APP, while they will go off, there is not the consistency you need for hunting, even target shooting, like you get with black powder. A solution of course is to duplex the load. You drop twenty grains of black powder first and then your sub powders.. problem solved right? But what have you gained? You're still not getting the benefit of the sub powder clean up. And to be honest, I do not find black powder hard to clean. Especially if my rifle had a breech plug. Want an easy way to clean black powder out of a rifle with a breech plug, take the plug out, walk outside, and spray pressure water with a garden hose down the barrel. Do both ends. Then look through it. Clean. Dry patch it and oil it back up.

That hard trigger, contact T/C. I have heard they will lighten them for you free of charge. I have always wanted a Stainless Firestorm. Just never got the nerve to purchase one. And now I have too many rifles to justify one. Or do I?

Have fun shooting that rifle. And keep me posted. I heard they shoot sabots real well also. And powerbelts.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#10 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:39 AM

I could be wrong but I believe that my cousin and next door neighbor has a firestorm that he tried pyrodex pellets in and had a terrible time. I tried to tell him that pellets do not ignite well if at all in a side lock no matter what the book says. He has gone to real bp also. I now have a nearly full pack of pyrodex pellets that I have not shot so maybe I'll use em up in my inline just for play. Eric and I are waiting for better weather to play but I hear we are in for another dusting of 2 -4 inches today and tonight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users