General Virus & Trojan Removal

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:24 PM

I just cleared out the home PC (which gets used by a few "n00bs" to such things as not opening e-mail attachments you aren't expecting to receive, etc) over the weekend (which is Sunday & Monday for me) and figured I would share a few things that have helped me, in general, with such things.

First, I don't care what product you are running for virus protection (Symantec/Norton, McAfee, Panda, etc) if you are putting all of your eggs in one basket you are just begging for trouble.
Example: I run Norton's top line 2006 product. It is everything from a firewall to antivirus protection and pop-up/adware blocker. Unfortunately, the home PC still ended up infected with a trojan. (For those less savvy, a trojan is worse than a virus, in my opinion. It gives access of your computer to an outside user who can then do everything from steal files to harvest any password to anything you have ever used on your computer.) In my case, Norton was detecting the trojan, alerting me of its presence, and even blocking its propagation... However, it could not remove or quarantine the source even with the system in safe mode! I was only able to completely remove the trojan with a program called ewido. (It's freeware, of all things.)

Rather than go through a list of steps and processes I will just refer you to an article that I have found to be quit good where this subject is concerned. I have personally used each of the products recommended in the article and have even followed the steps provided for cleaning a PC. I would recommend it to anyone. No serious technical computer knowledge is needed at all.

General Virus & Trojan Removal Instructions

To be perfectly honest, I will not be renewing with Symantec/Norton when my current subscription expires. In my opinion, their products have been on a steady decline for the past 3 years, they hog a ton of system resources, and their "technical support documentation" is about as in-depth as what a 4th grade level student could write regarding the removal of PC viruses etc. Consumer Reports has McAfee rated pretty high, but I have used it in the past and was not impressed. I am seriously considering the Zone Alarm Security Suite. Even with that, however, ewido, spybot, and a couple other freeware products will definitely be staying with me.

#2 VicMc

VicMc

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:37 AM

Jere, I dumped norton last of the 2005 year. I have been using the "free" version of Zone Alarm for my firewall and the 'free' version of AVG antivirus for my anti virus, on top of I scan often with ad-aware se and spybot search and destroy. I have nothing but good to report on these programs. I have had only one trojan/virus in this time frame, the programs caught it and did thier job. I however, made a noob mistake and upon deletion left clicked instead of right clicking, yep I executed the rascal myself. lol It was a nasty bugger too. It was a download trojan, in other words it's main function was to download all the trojans and viruses it could as quickly as it could. Talk about a mess, geesh, well what I had detected and deleted all but one of the added trojans which I then used a new program called spyware doctor to eradicate the problem. I am clean as a babe's bottom now. Brother, I ain't paying for any of the high dollar anti programs anymore. I am sticking with these free programs.

reasons:

1. FREE!
2. AVG carries a much smaller file footprint....a good thing (fast and nimble)
3. daily updates automatically for each (can be set to 3am if ya want)
4. FREE!
5. Ease of setup and usage is outstanding.
6. Has passed every test so far, except the cpu user brain fart test. I failed it. lol
and finally it's FREE! ;)

All jokes aside, check these out and try them. My gaming clan leader had preached them to me for a couple of years now and I stuck with Norton, finally I tried them and I am staying with them. :)

I suggest and recommend them to anyone. :)

"Good Luck and Good Hunting"

#3 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 04:41 AM

Vic, we are using the same programs as yourself and so far knock on wood we've had no problems....

Loving life, and taking things one day at a time..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users