12 replies to this topic

#1 JameyK

JameyK

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:52 PM

Just got new carbon arrows. wondering if anyone can tell me which adhesive i should use. Didnt know if there was anything special out these days. Its bee awhile since i had to buy new shafts

Edited by JameyK, 20 February 2010 - 06:15 AM.

Shootem in the face!!

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 11:23 AM

I like Loctite Brand "Super Glue Gel" for fletchings and inserts on carbon shafts.
Posted Image

#3 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:35 PM

You all know that I'm not an archery expert by any means but I'll throw my limited experience at this. When I bought my bow (1st bow) the guy at the shop cut all my arrrows to length an then heated the inserts with a torch and rubbed a hot glue stick on them. Then pushed them into the shafts and wiped of the excess before it got too hard.

This might not seem important to you more experienced shooters that always hit the backstop, but for a good while I missed... often. Behind my backstop was a short wall of landscape timbers that the arrows hit. I am going somewhere with this. I found, to my delight, that the hot glue held the tips or broadheads in very well but would pop out when I hit the wood. I had to use pliers to pull the field points out then glue the inserts back in but the important thing is that the $8 shaft wasn't damaged.

I don't remember if the nocks were already on there or what type of glue was used on them. I haven't broke one yet so it probably doesn't matter. Elmers would probably work for nocks but I wouldn't tempt fate.

Hope that helps somebody.
Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 06:59 PM

You all know that I'm not an archery expert by any means but I'll throw my limited experience at this. When I bought my bow (1st bow) the guy at the shop cut all my arrrows to length an then heated the inserts with a torch and rubbed a hot glue stick on them. Then pushed them into the shafts and wiped of the excess before it got too hard.

This might not seem important to you more experienced shooters that always hit the backstop, but for a good while I missed... often. Behind my backstop was a short wall of landscape timbers that the arrows hit. I am going somewhere with this. I found, to my delight, that the hot glue held the tips or broadheads in very well but would pop out when I hit the wood. I had to use pliers to pull the field points out then glue the inserts back in but the important thing is that the $8 shaft wasn't damaged.

I don't remember if the nocks were already on there or what type of glue was used on them. I haven't broke one yet so it probably doesn't matter. Elmers would probably work for nocks but I wouldn't tempt fate.

Hope that helps somebody.

The hot glue works great for aluminum shafts (in fact I recommend it for aluminum arrows) but it doesn't seem to hold up very well on carbon shafts.
Posted Image

#5 JameyK

JameyK

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:41 AM

I have that loctite at work ill give it a shot. Thanks guys!
Shootem in the face!!

#6 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:31 AM

I have that loctite at work ill give it a shot. Thanks guys!

Keep in mind Loctite is just a brand name. It has to be specifically the "Super Glue Gel". A thread locker will not work! Hope that's not confusing.
Posted Image

#7 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:23 AM

You can buy the Loctite Super Glue Gel at Wally Weird for about $4 and its great for EVERYTHING.... if you have access to the Loctite 420Industrial Grade Super Glue it might work just as well, but the thread locker just as Leo mentioned will do jack squat....
Semper Fi

#8 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:34 AM

<br />You can buy the Loctite Super Glue Gel at Wally Weird for about $4 and its great for EVERYTHING.... if you have access to the Loctite 420Industrial Grade Super Glue it might work just as well, but the thread locker just as Leo mentioned will do jack squat....<br />

<br /><br /><br />

I buy it at Lowes too. Look for the Loctite Super Glue Gel "extra tough or extra strong" in a tube I think it's in a 10g amount tube. It's like $5 here and it's strong stuff. That amount will last quit awhile for you. It will hold a insert or a plastic vane on a shaft like nothing else I've tried.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#9 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:24 PM

Rowdy what I've got is in a silver/grey bottle, with blue squeeze buttons on the sides.....
Semper Fi

#10 buqhntr

buqhntr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:38 PM

I'll add another bit of information for glueing inserts in to Carbon shafts.

Make sure that you clean the inside of the arrow shaft with rubbing alcohol. You may also need clean out the old adheaive by using a de-burring tool or by using a gun cleaning brush in .22 caliber.

Hope that helps you!

#11 ElevenSpot

ElevenSpot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Eat breathe and sleep bow hunting whitetails.

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:16 AM

I have found that if you are going to be using arrows for 3D targets only and not hunting use something with Goat Glue or Gorilla Glue so they will never some out. I have lost too many inserts with the glue that some shops use. When it comes to hunting i use Rage broadheads so I do have to tune them but if you use fixed blade broadheads i would suggest a glue that you can heat up to allow for rotating the insert for tuning.

I hope this might save you some money on inserts.

#12 ElevenSpot

ElevenSpot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Eat breathe and sleep bow hunting whitetails.

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:25 AM

Sorry I left out a word. I have found that if you are going to be using arrows for 3D targets only and not hunting use something with Goat Glue or Gorilla Glue so they will never some out. I have lost too many inserts with the glue that some shops use. When it comes to hunting i use Rage broadheads so I do not have to tune them but if you use fixed blade broadheads i would suggest a glue that you can heat up to allow for rotating the insert for tuning.

I hope this might save you some money on inserts

#13 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:30 AM

Rowdy what I've got is in a silver/grey bottle, with blue squeeze buttons on the sides.....

Terry I used that same bottle. I believe it is the same glue. The tube holds more than the bottle and to me it is easier to squeeze the tube and make it apply a small line of glue in the base/foot of a vane.

For my inserts I give them a few dabs at the base of the insert with this super glue gel then twist the insert as I push it into the carbon shaft. The twisting helps spread the glue across the surface to surface for better contact. Then if any glue pushes out at the top between the insert and the shaft I'll wipe it around the insert and the shaft making another surface seal.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users