• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Phatpaw

Phatpaw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:28 PM

I would like recommendations on what is a good reliable brand of night scope to buy. I am only looking for gen I or II level scope due to cost. I bought a Laser genetics ND-3 laser illuminator which worked great with my scope until the temp's dropped below 40 degrees. Below that the laser fades and dies. In Maine night coyote hunting only runs from January to June making the ND-3 useless to me.
Thanks,
Phatpaw

Edited by Phatpaw, 22 February 2010 - 01:28 PM.

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:07 PM

I would like recommendations on what is a good reliable brand of night scope to buy. I am only looking for gen I or II level scope due to cost. I bought a Laser genetics ND-3 laser illuminator which worked great with my scope until the temp's dropped below 40 degrees. Below that the laser fades and dies. In Maine night coyote hunting only runs from January to June making the ND-3 useless to me.
Thanks,
Phatpaw

That's odd lithium powered electronics are in my experience the most cold tolerant. The ND-3 runs off a CR123 lithium battery. Green Laser modules themselves should work down to 14F. So you should be good on both counts.

According to Laser Genetics. The ND-3 supposedly should work at temps even below 32F.

These are Laser Genetic's recommendations for extreme cold use.

ND-3 Extreme Cold Use

Hope that helps a little.

At any rate if the thing won't work for you at 40F I think you have a legitimate thing to ask Laser Genetics about.
Posted Image

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:29 PM

The only night scopes I have ever looked through were early models issued to the military. Man they were fantastic but seemed to eat battery charge more than I thought practical. I remember looking through one on a very dim night and suddenly it was green daylight. I actually spotted an aggressor sneaking along a fencerow toward our site in an exercise. I have not seen any reports in my sporting magazines on them either.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Phatpaw

Phatpaw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:15 PM

That's odd lithium powered electronics are in my experience the most cold tolerant. The ND-3 runs off a CR123 lithium battery. Green Laser modules themselves should work down to 14F. So you should be good on both counts.

According to Laser Genetics. The ND-3 supposedly should work at temps even below 32F.

ND-3 Extreme Cold Use

Hope that helps a little.

At any rate if the thing won't work for you at 40F I think you have a legitimate thing to ask Laser Genetics about.

I have been in contact with them. It is not the battery but the gas inside that is the problem. Hard to excite cold molecules I guess. Nothing like wrapping a $300+ laser with a hand warmer every time I go out. The ND-3 is not like a laser pointer, it has much bigger volume to be excited. It works great in moderate temps though.
One other issue is the pressure switch wire breaks inside the cap easily. This happened when unscrewing it several times thinking the battery was the problem.
Thanks for the handwarmer info. I tried it already and it works only for a little while. I hunt in extreme conditions at times 0 degrees with a wind chill for added comfort. I take what I can get to get out of the house this time of year.
Phatpaw

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:00 PM

Phat have you heard of a website called Optics Planet. I just went there and they have a pretty fair line of night vision scopes. This spring I bought a scope and special rings from them and was pleased with the products and especially pleased with their prices and downright pleased with their service. They even have some reading material on night vision products.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Phatpaw

Phatpaw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:23 AM

ND-3 Extreme Cold Use

I went out today. 37 degrees F. ND-3 did not work. It worked in the house before I left and worked after I came back and it warmed up.

AR-15 $1,300
Nikon Scope $250
ND-3 Laser $329
Wrap it in a $2 hand warmer and secure with rubber bands...Priceless

#7 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:38 PM

I went out today. 37 degrees F. ND-3 did not work. It worked in the house before I left and worked after I came back and it warmed up.

AR-15 $1,300
Nikon Scope $250
ND-3 Laser $329
Wrap it in a $2 hand warmer and secure with rubber bands...Priceless

That's a darn shame, apparently it doesn't live up to advertised specifications. Unfortunately that happens sometimes. Been burnt by that myself.
Posted Image

#8 timothy

timothy

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Xbox, My Wife and awsome son James, Guns, Mountains, Hounds, any thing outdoors.

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:56 PM

lol...my wife said "actually it cost you 2 dollars plus the price of rubber bands"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users