35 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:31 PM

I know a lot of you all, like me, are getting Spring fever and eyeing your turkey hunting gear. So how many are seeing turkeys? Nooooo, not just in your dreams, real ones. Jason and I have been seeing both lots of turkeys and lots of turkey sign. What has me fired up is the numbers of good gobblers we've been seeing. Posted Image

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:41 PM

I saw two turkeys possibly three just this morning when I returned from the bank and pulled up beside the house. They were way back in the corn field behind my house. I thought I saw one go over the hill and then two more high tailing over the hill. They were near 300 yds away so I could not tell what they were so they were huge longbeards and the reason they took a little longer to get over the hill was their beards were so long they kept tripping on them. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:47 PM

Norm, as soon as I get my outdoor things done I'm going to start doing a little scouting, pop and I know we have turkeys around so I don't think we will have a problem finding them.
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#4 JameyK

JameyK

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:07 PM

Gonna start scouting tommorrow mornin. Wife also likes wildlife photography so it gives her a good opportunity for that. Only thing she dont like is she kows some of them are gonna die soon. HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE!

Shootem in the face!!

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:17 PM

Gonna start scouting tommorrow mornin. Wife also likes wildlife photography so it gives her a good opportunity for that. Only thing she dont like is she kows some of them are gonna die soon. HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE!

Yeah, but they're sooooo tasty! Posted Image

Cool Eric, you and your dad have fun .

Paul, you mean you can see that far? Posted Image

#6 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:43 AM

Yeah, but they're sooooo tasty! Posted Image

Cool Eric, you and your dad have fun .

Paul, you mean you can see that far? Posted Image

I spotted 3 turkeys feeding on the Rockview Prison ground on the way back from State College Sunday afternoon....they were scratching in the direction of Paul & Eric's !Posted Image
*btw....I still am on an emotional roller coaster over the immense gobbler PA & I Kicked out in late flintlock season....I swear it had a coyote dangling from its spurs!Posted Image

Edited by Phil, 23 February 2010 - 05:44 AM.

Posted Image

#7 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:35 AM

Went for a walk on Sunday and saw a lot of sign.Posted Image

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:58 AM

Yes I can look that far now whether I can see what I am looking at is another story. I usually have a pair of binos in the truck with me but not this time. Oh yea them birds was turkel birds alright. I will also have to agree that the bird that Phil and I saw was a bigun. That bird literally exploded out of a tangle of downed treetops like a B-52 with a jato bottle strapped on. I think I saw three squirrels and a chipmunk hanging on to its beard. Maybe they were paying customers or just taking flight training.

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:08 AM

Boy, I sure hope you guys get a shot at that Stratocaster. Posted Image

#10 JameyK

JameyK

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:41 AM

Nothing for the first hour or so. Then one popped out then two ,three,four. All in all 23 birds this mornin. Gonna be a good spring.
Shootem in the face!!

#11 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:56 PM

Nothing for the first hour or so. Then one popped out then two ,three,four. All in all 23 birds this mornin. Gonna be a good spring.

Cool Jamey, kinda gives ya the fever don't it? Posted Image

#12 JameyK

JameyK

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:55 PM

Man , you aint kiddin! Glad I didnt have a gun Id be in trouble lol. I did think about puttin the knife in my mouth and chasin one down but I cant run like i used to Posted Image
Shootem in the face!!

#13 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:17 PM

Just remember when out scouting leave all your call at home. Turkey calls that is. You can use an owl hooter locator, a crow call or whatever just to get them to gobble. Using a turkey call is a no no at this time because you will educate those birds and when it comes time to actually call one in to shoot they may just ignore you entirely. That is the main reason I carry so many calls with me. Even for my pot call I will have 4 different strikers that give a different sound to the same call.

#14 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:30 PM

Paul, you don't need a call anyways, you just charm them in. Posted Image

#15 timothy

timothy

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Xbox, My Wife and awsome son James, Guns, Mountains, Hounds, any thing outdoors.

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:43 PM

guys im tellin ya turkey huntin is easy, get ya a four wheeler run the buggers down and pistol um. kapow deep fried turkey.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users