7 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:43 PM

This year Jason is taking his Mule Deer hunt with RL that he won and I'll be taking a hunt with RL too. We both opted for muzzleloader hunts and Jason will be using his Optima Elite Compact with a 24" barrel. I'll be using my Optima Pro with a 27" barrel. We both will be using two 50gr pellets of 777 but Jason will be pushing a 170 Powerbelt Platinum and me a 250 T/C Shockwave Spire Point. Jason was thinking we should both sight in about 2" high at 100 yards. I'm thinking, that since his rifle has a shorter barrel, and he's pushing a heavier bullet, then that might not be enough for him for shots from 150 - 200 yards. In fact, would 2" high at 100 yards be enough for me? Should he set his sights to hit higher or up his load to the magnum load of three pellets? Would apreciate any advice.

Edited by Spirithawk, 24 February 2010 - 06:44 PM.

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:40 PM

This is a case where only range time is going to tell you what you need to know. All projectiles fly different and track different. So what might work for one might not work for another. Personally I would sight in for the distance you expect to have your shots at.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:55 PM

This is a case where only range time is going to tell you what you need to know. All projectiles fly different and track different. So what might work for one might not work for another. Personally I would sight in for the distance you expect to have your shots at.

Kinda what I figured. Thanks bud. We'll have to range us and set a target at those distances here at home some where as the local range just doesn't have room out past 100 yards.

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:54 PM

You and Jason need to pack up and come to my place. You can shoot out to over 200 yds just from my back yard and If we set up on the neighboring farm could shoot as far as those rifles will fling a bullet. Yea I know I live too far away but it is a thought as I would love to have you folks for a visit and show you where Eric and I hunt. You and Sammee and Jason and his clan are welcome whenever.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:28 PM

You and Jason need to pack up and come to my place. You can shoot out to over 200 yds just from my back yard and If we set up on the neighboring farm could shoot as far as those rifles will fling a bullet. Yea I know I live too far away but it is a thought as I would love to have you folks for a visit and show you where Eric and I hunt. You and Sammee and Jason and his clan are welcome whenever.

Thank you buddy. Boy Paul, Jason and I would sure love that. Been kind of a dream of mine for quite a while, the four of us getting together. I know one of your's too. I'd sure like to shake hands with Phil too. Hopefuly, one day we can make it happen. Only problem with Sameee is it's hard for her to get away herself. Between her critters and her decal buiseness.

Edited by Spirithawk, 25 February 2010 - 10:30 PM.

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:40 AM

If we could ever make such a trip happen you would have the opportunity to meet and greet not only Eric and Phil but Old woodhick, Whistlepig, Rod, and Jgabel and possibly PATurbo. We are all friends and belong to the same hunting camp. We even get together a couple times a year socially and have a whole bunch of fun together. After being on this site and its predessor I just got a desire to meet face to face with many of our members and have found a real gem when coming to a certain home in MO.

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:07 PM

If we could ever make such a trip happen you would have the opportunity to meet and greet not only Eric and Phil but Old woodhick, Whistlepig, Rod, and Jgabel and possibly PATurbo. We are all friends and belong to the same hunting camp. We even get together a couple times a year socially and have a whole bunch of fun together. After being on this site and its predessor I just got a desire to meet face to face with many of our members and have found a real gem when coming to a certain home in MO.

That would be truly awesome Paul. Though, out of the bunch I've only me you, I think mighty highly of all you PA folk. A real gem? You must be talking about Sameee. Posted Image

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:19 PM

Yep her too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users