7 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:07 AM

Does anyone know anything about the EAA Windicator revolvers? I know they are made in Germany and that's about it. Jason had an EAA 44 mag single action that was surprisingly very well made. Reason I'm asking is that they are very reasonably priced. One in a 357 mag, on Gun Broker, averages only about $250 new.

Edited by Spirithawk, 26 February 2010 - 12:08 AM.

#2 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:41 AM

I looked at the owners manual online. They look like great, simple guns. The only thing some people may not like is that they don't recommend +P loads and that they'll void the warrranty. .357 mag and .44 mag don't really need to be loaded hot to be effective IMO.

By the way, you probably just saved me tons of cash. I was thinking about getting one of those cartridge conversion cylinders for my .44 cap and ball to make it legal to hunt with in ohio. The cylinders cost near $300 and shoot Very light loads. If these guns are accurate enough with the 7.5" barrel and only $300 that would make more sense to hunt with.
Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:28 AM

I am not a advocate of cap and ball handguns for hunting. Just not enough energy to start with much less at even a short distance to be effective on anything other than small game.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:40 AM

I looked at the owners manual online. They look like great, simple guns. The only thing some people may not like is that they don't recommend +P loads and that they'll void the warrranty. .357 mag and .44 mag don't really need to be loaded hot to be effective IMO.

By the way, you probably just saved me tons of cash. I was thinking about getting one of those cartridge conversion cylinders for my .44 cap and ball to make it legal to hunt with in ohio. The cylinders cost near $300 and shoot Very light loads. If these guns are accurate enough with the 7.5" barrel and only $300 that would make more sense to hunt with.

Cool guy! Posted Image I've been eyeing them for a while now. Like you, I'm not interested in shooting hot loads through one. I was thinking of getting one of the 4 1/2 " barreled ones in a 357 mag maybe. Just another option for self defense, under certain conditions, like to carry in the car, under a coat, when outdoors in the woods ect. I like a revolver too in that they don't jam. Of course my Kel Tec goes with me everywhere Posted Image and I've carried it with a round chambered for three weeks, took it outside and it went bang just fine Posted Image, but the Windicator seems like a very good value and might be fun to own and shoot. I've always liked 357's and been wanting another one as I haven't owned one in a while. Germany usualy makes good stuff and, as I said, Jason's EAA single action was quite well made. Being disabled, anything I get I have to save up for, so price does come into play big time. I'm not looking for fancy, just a solid reliable firearm. Right now I'm saving for a hunting trip. I think I'll call around and see if anybody has a Windicator that I can actually hold and look at. Let me know if you find one and what you think of it if you do. You ever check out GunBroker.com? I get bored and just browse through all the pages of firearms they have. They have some pretty cool stuff.

Edited by Spirithawk, 26 February 2010 - 11:45 AM.

#5 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Church, Family, Friends. One and the same.

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:39 PM

It is kinda hard to imagine something made in Germany being inexpensive. It is probably still very well made. My dad always says that his favorite handgun was a Ruger Blackhawk in .357. I've looked at a few, but the price has always been too high for me to consider for a hobby gun (as I would use it). These Windicators just might be the solution.
Don't pray for a light load. Pray for a strong back.

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:53 PM

It is kinda hard to imagine something made in Germany being inexpensive. It is probably still very well made. My dad always says that his favorite handgun was a Ruger Blackhawk in .357. I've looked at a few, but the price has always been too high for me to consider for a hobby gun (as I would use it). These Windicators just might be the solution.

That's kinda how I'm looking at them too. They also look like they've got a nice set of grips on them too. Should fit the hand well and give you a good hold on it. I use to have a Ruger Blackhawk .357 and liked it but Jason had a Dakota .357 that was just plain sweet. Was a very beautiful and accurate pistol. Wish he still had it. So does he.Posted Image

#7 old fart

old fart

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:40 PM

they are good guns, i owned one last year till december. i shot several rounds thru it 38 and 357, the 38's were like nothing at all the 357's however were a handfull but it functioned perfect and lockup was good and tight. only reason i traded it was i needed a concealable handgun and traded for a 9mm. i'm saving now to get another 357 and if i can find a windicator it will come home to me.

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:47 PM

they are good guns, i owned one last year till december. i shot several rounds thru it 38 and 357, the 38's were like nothing at all the 357's however were a handfull but it functioned perfect and lockup was good and tight. only reason i traded it was i needed a concealable handgun and traded for a 9mm. i'm saving now to get another 357 and if i can find a windicator it will come home to me.

Cool, thanks bunches. That's all I needed to know. I'm begining to see one in my future. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users