7 replies to this topic

#1 old fart

old fart

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:59 PM

i am having a problem with rust on my handguns and longuns, i keep them in a safe in my bedroom closet. i take them out once a month to clean and reoil, i took them out this morning and a few have rust on them. i have 8 long guns and 2 have rust on the sights, trigger, and side, the rust is speckled on them not bad and it did come off mostly but i can still see a little more. i have 3 handguns and one of them has a rusty ejector, and recoil spring. i did notice that its the guns i have yet to shoot that have rusted but i take them all out about once a month to reoil. i use barricade, and rem oil are they good oils? i keep a humidity gauge in my closet, it stays around 50-60% is that high? do i need to change oil or get a dehumidifier?, thanks for any help.

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:53 PM

Living here in Missouri, and with three large lakes surrounding me, the humidity is very high. For a long time I had problems with my firearms rusting. Then my son became a Certified Executive Bodyguard. The reason that's important is that during his training he was introduced to a synthetic oil that I now swear by. It's called MMC ( Molecular Metal Conditioner ) and this stuff is simply awesome! It cleans, protects and lubricates like no other. It's heat and friction activated, bonds with the metal on a molecular level, protects against residue build up and won't gum up even in extreme cold. It's a red liquid and comes in small plastic bottles of various sizes. A little goes a very long way. Now, my son Jason, swears by Remington Oil, but I'm the fella that cleans and takes constant care of all our firearms.Posted Image No matter what other product I've tried I always found signs of rust sooner or later. Most often sooner! Since I started using the MMC I can oil them, put them in the cabinet, and forget about them. I don't care how long they sit I can pull one out and not even a hint of rust! I'm still using the 1oz bottle Jason got a few years back and we have 17 long guns and 7 handguns. Their address is 213 Champion Hills Drive, Berryville, Ark 72616 and their phone is 1-888-662-6457. They have a web address at http://mmcltd.com/ Personaly, I do think your humidity is a bit high for storing firearms. A dehumidifier would probably pay for itself but all I use is the MMC and our humidity is through the roof high.

Edited by Spirithawk, 04 March 2010 - 06:40 PM.

#3 Fossil

Fossil

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing and rockhounding..............

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:40 PM

I tried the website Spirithawk,it takes me to a Russian place............

Edited by Fossil, 04 March 2010 - 03:40 PM.

Posted Image

God,family and friends-What else is there..................

#4 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 04 March 2010 - 04:12 PM

Your humidity is a little high. Recommended is 40%. Rem oil should be all right for oiling them up. I use the Hoppes, personally, and it works great for me. Of course, living in a desert, there just isn't a lot of moisture in the air.

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:37 PM

Two things first is your humidity is too high in my opinion. If you attend to your firearms monthly then what you are using is not effective in that humidity. I have had guns in my safe for a year and have no rust on them. I do use rem oil or break free CLP (clean, lube, protect). My wood burner is in the same room and as a consequence in the winter the humidity is very low but in the spring, summer and fall I have a dehumidifier running in the room and I also have a container with damp rid sitting in my safe. I am always surprised at how much moisture that damp rid collects. To keep rust from developing protect your guns with the best you can afford and keep the moisture out.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:48 PM

I tried the website Spirithawk,it takes me to a Russian place............

Foss, I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if I can get the correct url.

In the meantime here's a url for a very similar product.

http://www.militec-1...ductreveiw.html You can order it at the bottom of the article.

I could be mistaken but I think Jerimiah might know where to get the MMC

Edited by Spirithawk, 04 March 2010 - 10:08 PM.

#7 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:01 AM

You can also get this for the inside of your safe to help keep the humidity down while in storage--

hydrosorbent hydra gel

#8 timothy

timothy

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Xbox, My Wife and awsome son James, Guns, Mountains, Hounds, any thing outdoors.

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:34 PM

cheaper than dirt sells that stuff that comes in new shoes but in much larger packages it absorbs the moisture and works for a long time. im a airplane mechanic and while at work i was introduced to somthing called aerokroil, its like wd-40 except its 1000 times better. i dont have a safe i just wipe my guns down with it and store them in the corner of my room and i never have rust. i do live in a dryer climate though. but aerokroil does not evaporate like wd40 but lubricates and protects like no other. my father in law (clay) had a old 12 gauge he bought from kmart like 30 years ago or somthing that sat in his spare bathroom for some reason... well the toilet sprung a small leak and had a slow steady spray on it, so after about 5 years it was rusted solid. he tried everything to get it working again, i tried aerokroil and it broke free in about 45 seconds!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users