7 replies to this topic

#1 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:25 AM

for memorial day we are taking a week and going to Alabama to see my niece and nephew she is stationed at Fort Rucker. well today my nephew was talking to their neighbor who is an MP and found out that right behind their house is a large section of woods that is over ran with wild hogs and we can hunt them any time. its part of the base and all we need is a hunting license on base which my niece can sponsor me and get it cheap. well I have never hunted hog and know nothing about it. So any information would be greatly appreciated
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:39 AM

If you get one be very very careful cleaning it. Around here the processors won't touch them anymore because the risk of brucellosis and pseudorabies is so high. If you cut yourself while processing one you may be in for long term illness. If the pig looks sick don't try and eat it.

I joke that pig's are filled with Fix-a-Fat. It's really not that far from the truth. There's so much fat under their hide that it often seals the wound and makes a pathetic blood trail. Be warned a pig can sometimes go a lot further than a deer can with a double lung broadhead hit. Be prepared to trail one that's lethally hit a long way.
Posted Image

#3 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:55 AM

so I want bigger cutting diam. cutting broadheads?
I will be shooting the new PSE stinger bow that I bought just before Xmas set up by Will. I am shooting 65 pounds and normally use 100 grain broadheads for deer. should I change to 125 or will the 100 be good enough?

Posted Image

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:12 PM

Posted Image

Todd the vitals in this diagram are pretty important for shot placement. You can see they are covered up pretty darn good for a broadside shot but a quartering away shot gets the job done. I have seen guys from here shoot hogs with all sorts of broadheads and arrow weights with all the same results in a dead hog with in several yards with a well placed shot. One other thing a hog hardly ever stops so practice with that in mind. And when a hog spots you or winds you they keeping running and don't normally stop. Now they might circle and come back but that's exception. Anyway I hope this is some help and good luck, pigs are fun to hunt.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:28 PM

If your arrow spine will handle it I'd go with the 125s. The 25% more weight at the end will significantly straighten out your penetration path. Plus the heavier heads are much stronger.

Don't get me wrong, you can kill hogs effectively with the 100grain heads. I've done it but moving to 125s is a worthwhile improvement.

Even if you go to 2" cutting diameter that fat can do it's work to frustrate the blood trail. If you get one and skin it, you'll see ;) And some bows just don't generate enough momentum in the arrow to get adequate penetration with that size head. It's not always a bad blood trail, if you hit the heart they bleed out quick and in buckets. No problem finding them. Lung shots and liver shots(yikes!) can be really tough follow ups no matter the cutting diameter.

At least a 1" diameter and take only broadside(leg forward) or quartering away shots and you'll do fine.

Edited by Leo, 05 March 2010 - 12:30 PM.

Posted Image

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:45 PM

I have a question that may be of interest to Todd also. I have read that wild hogs have a gristly shield that either covers the vital area or nearly so. Is this shield on feral hogs or just on the real wild boars and is it hard to punch through.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:34 PM

I have a question that may be of interest to Todd also. I have read that wild hogs have a gristly shield that either covers the vital area or nearly so. Is this shield on feral hogs or just on the real wild boars and is it hard to punch through.

My understanding all wild hogs especially the boars have the shield. It's a result of the wrestling and pushing they do to each other that builds that grisselly shield. It is in the shoulder region and covers the vitals. It is pretty tough but a sharp broad head shot out of todays compound bows have enough energy to punch through it. Hogs are tough. They can take an arrow in the neck and other areas on the body that might take down a deer and recover from it. I just saw some pictures of some hogs that were cut open and they found old broad heads embedded in the necks and upper shoulders with no obvious ill effect till the last shot took it down. One more reason to shoot straight into the vitals. Wild boars have the nick name of the "poor mans Grizzly bear hunt" and they do deserve it. Once provoked they will charge so always look for the best escape route. Posted Image
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#8 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:05 PM

thats why we are going to have the smoke pole standing by in case of a charge

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users